Happy New Year

Talk about anything here as long as it is not against the rules.
ursula
Passionate
Passionate

Happy New Year

Post by ursula » Tue Dec 31, 2013 08:55

Hi everybody!
It's New Year's Eve here and after Christmas and a big street party, I'm having a quiet glass of red with some nibbles,and thinking about 2013, and what a great year it's been. It's a beautiful evening and I've been sitting on the verandah reading a book.Heaven!
Just wanted to wish everyone on the site the most wonderful 2014. It's been lovely sharing everyone's lives, humour, recipes and friendship. Happy New Year, everyone!
Ursula
crustyo44
Veteran
Veteran

Post by crustyo44 » Tue Dec 31, 2013 11:20

Hi Ursula,
Same to you, let's hope 2014 will be even better. Ours was great.
Only had a few charcuterie stuff ups but still edible nonetheless.
Go easy on the Terps tonight!!!!!!!!!!
Jan.
Janlab
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by Janlab » Tue Dec 31, 2013 13:08

On the othe side of the continent, we are still waiting. Had a great braai (barbeque) of steak, and will be off to fireworks soon.
Happy New Year all! I am glad to be here!
Jan L
Dave Zac
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Dave Zac » Tue Dec 31, 2013 13:16

Happy New Year all. I'm hoping for a bit slower 2014 at work so I can spend more time with hobbies and grand kids :)
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Tue Dec 31, 2013 17:53

I have bacon smoking, friends coming tomorrow for a gentle day of welcoming the new year with good food, and good wine. I wish everyone a happy and healthy new year. Give a moment of thought to our friend Chuckwagon. He seems to have gotten one wheel into a frozen rut and sprung a spoke. Don't know the details but they are working on the repairs.
Ross
Ross- tightwad home cook
Krakowska
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by Krakowska » Tue Dec 31, 2013 22:44

Happy New Year to All. Learned a lot here this year and hope more to follow in 14. Thanks everyone and have a peaceful ringing in of the New Year. Fred :grin:

Got 2 pork bellies in the smoker now, first time with them. Used hickory this time, the pork butt bacon I used apple. We shall see the difference. Coming out soon, at 125 degrees now :smile:
Keep them safe until they all come home.
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Tue Dec 31, 2013 23:13

Krakowska wrote: Fred :grin:

Got 2 pork bellies in the smoker now, first time with them. Used hickory this time, the pork butt bacon I used apple. We shall see the difference. Coming out soon, at 125 degrees now :smile:
If the cures are the same then the difference in the smoke will be very distinct. I am doing some with maple my last was with pear. Pear is much different than hickory.
Ross- tightwad home cook
Krakowska
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by Krakowska » Tue Dec 31, 2013 23:27

If the cures are the same then the difference in the smoke will be very distinct. I am doing some with maple my last was with pear. Pear is much different than hickory.
Yes Ross, The cure is "Sons of bees" recipe. Pork butts came out excellent (apple wood) and I would really have no problem staying with that since it is difficult to find bellies AND the butts are over a dollar a lb cheaper. Thanks for Your help ray and everyone else:) :grin:
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Wed Jan 01, 2014 00:34

Do cut the rest of the butts into 3-4 pound pieces for hams. They work so very well.
Ross- tightwad home cook
sawhorseray
Veteran
Veteran

Post by sawhorseray » Wed Jan 01, 2014 00:48

Happy New Year to you all! Just back from a couple of days in Vegas, don't think I'll ever go back, more of a Reno kind of guy. Now my concerns are about CW. I have no idea what's happened, I'd just like to hear that he's OK. RAY
“Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment.”
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Wed Jan 01, 2014 10:39

Give a moment of thought to our friend Chuckwagon. He seems to have gotten one wheel into a frozen rut and sprung a spoke. Don't know the details but they are working on the repairs.(Ross)
Now my concerns are about CW. I have no idea what's happened, I'd just like to hear that he's OK. (RAY)

Thanks guys! I appreciate the concern. I've been racked up in the hospital for a couple of months as an outpatient. I almost escaped to go fishin' with Ray. But shucks, I've had to drive to and from, twice a day and much of my time has been limited. Each day I had several hours of treatment and yesterday, I was finally released. I'd sure like to thank Ross Hill and Russ Lambert for their help in keeping the site running smoothly. Now, I should be able to get back on board and pay more attention to WD. We'll be starting up Project B2 again soon. A lot of folks needed a little time to catch up.

I am looking forward to a wonderful year in 2014 at Wedliny Domowe. With good folks like you on this forum, how could we help but be the world's greatest sausage site! :lol: Thanks again for your support everyone - for a wonderful 2013 - and I hope 2014 will be healthy, peaceful, and prosperous for every one of you. You are the best people in the world! :wink:

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
sawhorseray
Veteran
Veteran

Post by sawhorseray » Wed Jan 01, 2014 13:58

I'm thrilled to hear you're back in the saddle CW! Here's to hoping the new year brings us all good health and happiness. RAY
“Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment.”
Krakowska
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by Krakowska » Wed Jan 01, 2014 14:32

Glad Your back Chuckwagon. Hope the new year brings Us all good times. You "The Man" Cw. :grin:
NorthFork
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by NorthFork » Wed Jan 01, 2014 14:37

Great to have you back Chuckwagon-you were missed. Happy New Year to you and all at WD--

Pat
I've always tried to set a good example for others-but many times I've had to settle for just being a horrible warning!