UMAi bags

Talk about anything here as long as it is not against the rules.
grasshopper
Passionate
Passionate

UMAi bags

Post by grasshopper » Thu Jan 09, 2014 04:57

Been watching for more information on using UMAi bags. The place for the bags is right here in Minneapolis MN. Questions like for capicola, pancheetta, prosciutto and lonzino. Is it safe to do in the bags. also how long will it keep afterwards. I have been to there site and edited there videos. Looks great to me. I have Stans fermented sausage book, and that dose not cover UMAi fermenting. I have been to CW's bacteria school, I will proceed with great caution. Information please.
crustyo44
Veteran
Veteran

Post by crustyo44 » Thu Jan 09, 2014 07:50

Grasshopper,
Go the UMAi site and click on their forum. Lots of photo's, advise from members that are new and have had great success, just for the asking.
It would suit me until I have finished my curing chamber.
Good Luck,
Jan.
grasshopper
Passionate
Passionate

Post by grasshopper » Thu Jan 09, 2014 16:50

Thank's Crusty! The curing chamber is the right way to go. For me it looks like a lot of work, like going to the dentist, but you have too. The outfit is right here in MN. We call it going down to the cities and I will stop in and talk to these people. I have been to there site and now I will look for the forum.
Dave Zac
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Dave Zac » Sun Jan 12, 2014 00:09

1.55 K coppa rubbed and in the fridge for two weeks. Then into the UMAi bag.
grasshopper
Passionate
Passionate

Post by grasshopper » Sun Jan 12, 2014 03:01

Hey Dave! If I may ask how long will the coppa last after completion. Excluding people eating it all.
Dave Zac
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Dave Zac » Sun Jan 12, 2014 03:08

I really have no idea. I have to believe, as you suggest, it will be long gone before it's time.

I actually still have some salami from our original project A in my fridge. It hit it every few months. It's been at least two years and it's fine.
crustyo44
Veteran
Veteran

Post by crustyo44 » Sun Jan 12, 2014 06:16

Dave,
My cousin in Holland is also a keen and experienced charcuterie maker. He makes 4 large Coppa's at one time, the old fashioned way.
When they are ready, he cuts them all in manageable pieces and vacuum-packs them and some pieces he freezes.
He told me that one piece he forgot for 10 month in the fridge. This one turned out extremely nice.
You just vacuum pack them properly, keep some in the fridge and freeze the rest.
Next week I will placing an order for my UMAi bags here in Australia.
I can't wait to see and taste the results.
Cheers,
Jan.
Janlab
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by Janlab » Sun Jan 12, 2014 15:19

Two Bressaolas went into bags today after curing for 14 days. 1.3 and 1.5 kgs.
I shall aim for about 40% weight loss. Hopefully that will not take more than six weeks.
They won't last long after they're done!
Two more went into curing bags!
Jan