Anyone like to share where they live?

Talk about anything here as long as it is not against the rules.
ursula
Passionate
Passionate

Anyone like to share where they live?

Post by ursula » Mon Jan 20, 2014 07:37

I thought it would be nice to share some photos of where I live, and hope that others might share too. I loved Mark's Canterbury photos, and am curious to see where and how others live. We live in such a beautiful world.
I live on four plus acres in a little log cabin. It's dairy country with hills but not really any mountains. I love trees and have a colourful garden.

Image Image Image Image
The last two photos are of my vegetable garden. This is undergoing some changes this year. It was too big; the veggies were pretty much in two enclosed cages. This is just some hail netting tented over to protect the vegetables as a temporary measure. It will be rehoused in a wrought iron "cage" later this year which will be the same size as the tented area.
The nearest town is 5 km away and there is a walking path along the road.
Ursula
crustyo44
Veteran
Veteran

Post by crustyo44 » Mon Jan 20, 2014 09:18

Hi Ursula,
You have a nice setup, so green and well looked after.
I am jealous of your beautiful vegetable patch and all the vegies growing so well.
So unlike Brisbane at the moment where we have no rain. The lawns and trees are nearly dead.
Hopefully some rain later in the week.
Is that a "Kentucky" Log cabin you are living in.
I built one in Coffs Harbour many years ago.
Keep posting some more photos Please!
Cheers,
Jan.
sawhorseray
Veteran
Veteran

Post by sawhorseray » Mon Jan 20, 2014 13:14

Your home surroundings look lovely Ursula! Here in California we are in drought conditions, mandatory water usage cut-backs, things could get real ugly in the next 6-7 months. Every cloud has a silver lining, when the lawn dies I won't have to mow it anymore. RAY
“Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment.”
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Mon Jan 20, 2014 13:38

The photos are just gorgeous Ursula. Thank you so much for sharing!

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Mon Jan 20, 2014 16:54

Looks very much like the east coast of the U.S. in early summer. We are expecting 6 inches of snow tomorrow and temperatures about 20 degrees of frost.
I had not heard of hail netting but it seems a good plan.
Ross- tightwad home cook
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Mon Jan 20, 2014 21:44

I just got off the phone with a friend who lives in Regina, Saskatchewan. He says El Ducko has been visiting him for about a week now. He said that since early this morning the snow has been nearly waist high and is still falling. The temperature is 32 below zero and the north wind is increasing to near gale force. Wind chill is -59. He said that El Ducko has done nothing but look through the kitchen window and just stare. :shock: My friend says that if it gets much worse, he just may have to let El Ducko inside! :roll:
Last edited by Chuckwagon on Tue Jan 21, 2014 21:06, edited 1 time in total.
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
el Ducko
Veteran
Veteran

Post by el Ducko » Tue Jan 21, 2014 02:27

J-j-j-j-ust toss some-some hot sausage out-out-out-side quick,
and no-no-body gets hurt-hurt-hur-frozen.
Experience - the ability to instantly recognize a mistake when you make it again.
ursula
Passionate
Passionate

Post by ursula » Tue Jan 21, 2014 04:06

You are SOOOOOOOOOOOOO funny, Ducko! You always make me laugh. :lol:
Ursula
jbk101
Passionate
Passionate

Post by jbk101 » Tue Jan 21, 2014 16:49

This is the view off my deck in Versailles, Indiana - I have two Acres with part of it Fenced in to Keep the Dogs from Straying into the Woods just past the Creek that runs along my Property Line.Image

Here is another view from the Deck. Just the other side of my fence I have my Deer Magnets - Peach Tree, Two Apple Trees, and Two Pear Trees, they let me know when the fruit is at it peak to pick. My Potato tower is just visible to the right - that's were my garden beds are located - I have four separate beds (5 ft. wide x 30 ft. long where I go so veggies) Plus an asparagus patch that's 5ft. x 15ft. just to the left of the potato tower (Spring with be 4th year)

Here's a the same in Early Spring last year

I forgot to Mention that Versailles, Indiana is Located in the Southeastern corner of Indiana bordered by Kentucky 25 miles to the South and Ohio 25 miles to the East with Cincinnati, OH being the Nearest major city 50 miles away.
John
DelNorte
Beginner
Beginner

Post by DelNorte » Tue Jan 21, 2014 19:19

Ursula - what a beautiful place!! And I am so envious of your garden. We hope to one day have a place in the country to start the lifestyle of sustainability. Nothing like growing your own fruits and vegetables, knowing what they've been exposed to, and tasting the quality as well.

jbk101 - I miss snow so much, that right now I'd PAY to shovel it! ... where you're located, is it common for you to get that much snow? I ask because my grandparents lived in Bowling Green, KY and they never got snow. Worst cases were frost and some ice storms.

As soon as I can find a place to upload some photos, I'll give you guys a taste of Uruguay. At least where I live.
DelNorte
Beginner
Beginner

Post by DelNorte » Tue Jan 21, 2014 21:13

As promised:

Two views from our terraza. (Yes, those are power lines, a 220-240 range. Big companies can get away with not conforming to safety laws. We lost our beloved dog on these lines and got nowhere with the power company to rectify the danger. There is a fence now on the wall. We paid for it.)

Beautiful sunrise down our street.

Views of the countryside.

Old stone fence from the settler days, set in the sparse woods on a huge hill.

Old bridge built by farmers in the rural countryside over 80 years ago. My husband's father contributed to this.

Super sorry if the photos are too big. I tried finding rules for this.
Last edited by DelNorte on Tue Jan 21, 2014 21:36, edited 1 time in total.
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Tue Jan 21, 2014 21:17

I know my horse is down here somewhere, doggone it!

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Tue Jan 21, 2014 21:27

Ursula, will you tell us what those beautiful violet flowers are on that bush? They are terrific.
And DelNorte... the old bridge is incredible. There were some "brains" in that project eh? But DelNorte, I fear you have fallen off yer' hoss and landed on yer' head! You wrote:
I miss snow so much, that right now I'd PAY to shovel it! ...
:shock: Is there a doctor in the house? DeNorte, take two chorizos and get a good night's sleep! You may come to your senses by morning!
(Nice to have you with us) :wink:

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
Last edited by Chuckwagon on Wed Jan 22, 2014 19:27, edited 2 times in total.
DelNorte
Beginner
Beginner

Post by DelNorte » Tue Jan 21, 2014 21:44

Chuckwagon wrote:Ursula, will you tell us what those beautiful violet flowers are on that bush? They are terrific.
And DelNorte... the old bridge is incredible. There were some "brains" in that project eh? But Del Norte, I fear you have fallen off yer' hoss and landed on yer' head! You wrote:
I miss snow so much, that right now I'd PAY to shovel it! ...
:shock: Is there a doctor in the house? DeNorte, take two chorizos and get a good night's sleep! You may come to your senses by morning!

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
I could be wrong, but I think that beautiful tree is a Magnolia. Maybe a different strain because of where Ursula lives?

You're a hoot about my snow comment!.. but really, sometimes one does not know what they have until it's gone. I miss that unexplainable lack of sound when the snow is coming, even the sound the flakes make hitting the ground. How about that super squeak it makes when it's super crisp out. And then skiing.. and ice skating... and snowball fights.. and and and... and I'm going into lack of snow shock!

I'm definitely up for the two chorizos and some sleep. What I wouldn't do for some Mexican chorizo.
Last edited by DelNorte on Wed Jan 22, 2014 19:28, edited 1 time in total.
ursula
Passionate
Passionate

Post by ursula » Wed Jan 22, 2014 07:20

Magnificent, John! There is something magical about snow, isn't there? (although I imagine you get tired of it after a while. Here we never really get snow; it doesn't settle, anyway.
What we did have last week was 4 days where the mercury exceeded 105. Not much fun. Crispy tomatoes.
Del Norte, your town looks really interesting. I spent a few weeks in South America a couple of years ago, and loved the little villages. Do many people live in your town? What do you do there in Uruguay, and where are you originally from?
And yes, you are right - the tree in my photo is a port wine magnolia. Has a beautiful lemony scent in the spring evenings.
Ursula