Duck Hunting!

Talk about anything here as long as it is not against the rules.
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Wed May 14, 2014 00:37

Once upon a time, I used to hunt deer quite often with a man named Ludwig but we all called him by his middle name "Von". He was pretty cool but couldn`t shoot at all. Consequently, Von used to hang around camp a lot and write music. Over the period of several years, he managed to write four symphonies in deer camp while the rest of us were out chasing buckskins. One day I doubled back to camp and saw Von finishing his "fifth". Yes, yes... Beethoven`s "Fifth" ...and I helped him finish it! He would tip his hat back, point his six-shooter at me, and say, "Now pard, take five healthy swigs off that bottle or I`ll shoot cha!" He would grin ear to ear, then hand the hogleg to me saying, "Okay, Chuck... now YOU hold the gun on ME while I take a few slugs". By-em-by, we finished Beethoven`s fifth. Shucks, we spent the rest of the afternoon eating cherries while we started on his "sixth"! Right about then we saw a terribly homely and horrid duck fly overhead. He was so hideously appalling and unsightly, we had to turn our eyes away. Why... that danged duck was wearing a pink and yellow striped vest with green and blue plaid shorts! His necktie was polka-dotted with tiny little purple bowling balls against a buzzard-snot yellow background! His leather flight helmet strap hung down his left duck cheek and his britches were falling down. He had no sense of western fashion or pride whatsoever! To top it off, he was waving a banner that read: "El Ducko rules!"
Now, we knew the menace would be back, but we were out of ammunition. Ludwig quickly found some spent cartridge brass while I gathered up a few cherry pits and scrounged up a little gunpowder. We loaded up a cherry-pit bullet and waited for that danged annoying, troublemaking, nuisance to fly overhead once more. Sort of like a silver bullet for a vampire eh? Sure enough... here he came... sort of like a criminal returning to the scene of the crime! He was soaring low - gliding - and quacking something about hot air in Texas! Well, Beethoven let him have it. Boom! He shot that danged airborne, irritating, infliction right between the eyes! What a sight. That cherry-pit bullet dropped that danged duck just like one of my breakfast muffins! After crash diving into our empty bottle collection, that cross-eyed bird stood up and waddled around in a daze. In his confusion, he pointed a wing into the air and said, "El DuckO Get Even Soon!" And with that, he stumbled head first into the ashes of the last night`s campfire! Actually, he stumbled into just about everything in camp before flapping his wings and quacking, "I`ll be back... I`ll be back"!
Well now pards, I`ve seen some strange things in my life, but... the very next year we were sittin` around the campfire working on Ludwigs 29th! All of a sudden, the sound of hissing hot air filled the air. We knew he was back and airborn - soaring at about twenty feet... Yes, there he was alright... with a cherry tree growing out of the front of his head! :shock:

And that`s the way it really, really, was!
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
el Ducko
Veteran
Veteran

Post by el Ducko » Thu May 15, 2014 00:40

Nmmmpphhh! Ptui! Oh, yeah? Well, just wait until I get out of these restraints and restraining order, and...

There'll be a cleanup needed on the Ice Cream aisle, and then a bigger one on the one where YOU are, ya ol' coot! First, I'll start by dropping tiny little purple bowling balls on ya, then...
:mrgreen:
Experience - the ability to instantly recognize a mistake when you make it again.
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Thu May 15, 2014 05:58

El DuckO wrote:
Nmmmpphhh! Ptui! Nmmmpphhh! Ptui! Nmmmpphhh! Ptui!
See there! See there! The sound of more hot air escaping from the west part of north-eastern south Texas!
Then that loquacious yardbird wrote
a bigger one on the one where YOU are, ya ol' coot!
What? What? Ol' coot? Ol' Coot! Who are you calling an ol' coot? You... you... you.... petulant pile of plumage! OOOOOOOOoooooooo! :roll:
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
el Ducko
Veteran
Veteran

Post by el Ducko » Sun May 25, 2014 03:17

Recently seen on the internet (email):
  • ...just replaced the kitty litter in the cat box with forty-four packages of Pop Rocks.
    Now, we wait.
...and then, we slip it into CW's supply of sausage seasonings. WooHoo! WooHoo!
Experience - the ability to instantly recognize a mistake when you make it again.
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Sun May 25, 2014 04:12

Pop rocks and kitty litter, my fanny! Folks, that danged duck fell out of his rocker again! :roll: He told me that "he`d kill for a Nobel Peace Prize"! :shock: Yup, the dad-gummed yard bird has marbles loose and rolling around! Then he said I should only borrow money from pessimists because they don`t expect it back! That looney-tune duck is the one who told me that half the people I know are below average. Then he said that 82.7% of all statistics are made up on the spot.

Well now, listen to me you... you... yardbird crow! I`m here to tell you Duk, that when everything is going your way, you're in the wrong lane! Look for the "Do Not Enter" sign, then drive up the ramp and get onto the 4-lane with all the traffic coming at you! I promise... life will be more interesting! Oh by the way, I couldn`t repair your brakes... so I made your horn louder! :twisted:

Now, how come you took that brand new tie that I bought you, back to the store? You really shouldn`t have told the clerk that you were returning it because it "fit too tight"! :roll:

Now... get back to work you.... you.... mocked-up magpie! ... And invent some semi-dry cured chorizo! :mrgreen:
el Ducko
Veteran
Veteran

Post by el Ducko » Thu May 29, 2014 04:09

In Which Chickens Rain From The Sky
The youngster came riding up fast, pulled up alongside the wagon, and slowed to match the gait of the horses. "Urgent message, Mister Wagon, from el Commandante Ducko. Here ya go. Sign rat there on the bottom." He handed over an envelope and a clipboard.

"Since when has that duck seen fit to involve the Pony Express, Son? Don`t he know that the Pony Express only lasted fer 18 months, back in 1860-61?"

"Dang," the young duck said. "No wonder the paychecks are late. Oh, well. It`s a job. Thanks, Mister Wagon." ...and he rode off in the opposite direction.

"Hey!" CW shouted after him, looking at the message. "What is this? ...looks like hen scratchin ta me."

The kid turned around and rode back, then took a look at the message. "Nope. ...definitely mallard. Hen scratchin` looks like... well..." He turned the message a quarter turn, then ninety degrees, then... "Nope. Trust me, them`s mallard scratchin`s."

"Well, whut does it say?"

The kid shrugged. "I dunno. Lack Ah said, looks like mallard scratchin`s ta me."

CW snorted. "Well, what did he SAY he would say, then?"

"Oh. Yeah. ...somethin` about ridin` over toward Denver. They have a Quacker Barrel store thataway what rents books on tape and CDs and stuff, and he wants to know if you want anything."

CW looked put out. "And what, pray tell, would I play it on?"

The duck looked at the wagon hard. "What...? No CD player? Mister, you`re payin` way too much to rent that rig what you`re ridin` in."

...another snort from our beloved moderator.

"Too bad. You could listen to your favorite old tales of the old west. Louis L`Amor and J. Frank Dobie, for instance. ...or maybe something more your style, like `Dobie Gillis.` His buddy, Maynard G. Krebs, was played by Bob Denver, ya know, which is why el Comandante Ducko was headed to Denver, I guess. Besides, there was a special offer on all Bob Denver`s `Gilligan`s Island` sitcoms."

"Yeah, yeah," CW said. "Beat it, Little Buddy. We got work ta do here. ..and tell that duck to get back on-station before I dock his pay."

"No sir- - It was an uncharted desert isle. No dock. Just Gilligan... the Skipper too... the millionaire... and his wiiiiife..."

KaBOOM! The shotgun blast startled everyone for miles around.

"...next one`s aimed at yer skinny hide," CW said. "Now I`ll be humming that dang theme song all day, ya mangy little..."

...which was about the time that it started raining chickens.

Huh...? I didn`t tell you kids about the time that it rained chickens? Well, as you know, sometimes in the spring, there are horrendous tornadoes that develop on the plains. They start just out of Dallas or Fort Worth where, theory says, the automobile emissions from the gridlock traffic combines with the winds from off the Pacific which pass over Mexico and carom off the clockwise winds around the high pressure system over the southeastern USA, shoving humidity north, which causes an uplift pattern to develop...

Awwww, the heck with it. The way that it was explained to me, tornadoes form up there because North Texas blows and Oklahoma sucks.

Anyway, any student of meteorology or Judy Garland knows that the winds are so violent that they destroy whole houses and lift all sorts of objects into the air. ...but do they ever tell you where they come down? No-siree-bobtail. They want you to believe that all that stuff flies around until it winds up in a make-believe land like Oz, or Northeast Joisey near Newark or wherever it is that razor blades go after you shove `em into the little slot in your bathroom medicine cabinet, or else the same place that all those missing single socks go.

Well, kids, I`ll tell you the honest truth- - I don`t really know where it all goes, but I DO know that sometimes the strangest things fall out of the sky , up in that area formed by a corner of the DFW approach pattern, the state of Nebraska, and the state of Indiana. (ed.note: Most of Illinois government is either serving time in state or federal prison, or was appointed to a cushy job in Washington, so we have few reports from there.)

Musta been the report from the shotgun that jarred things loose, or maybe it was just a load of chickens being flown into Wichita to replace those lost in last season`s storms, or maybe it was just free-range competition for fast-disappearing range land. ...or a lack of inexpensive kitchen ranges in those thar parts. I dunno.

Anyways, ol` Chuckwagon yells out "Okay, Boys, grab all ya kin, and we``ll have chicken an` dumplin`s tonight."

Well, they may be cousins to ducks, but they`re distant at best. Who can respect a critter what cain`t even say "quack" lack he means it?
  • ---We grabbed `em,
    ---We tied `em up,
    ---We throwed `em on the railroad track,
    ---a train started comin`
...at which point we done run plumb out of lyrics to that fifties hit single, "Along Came Jones."

"They make tasty sausages, too, ya know," Phil said. "Some a those recipes what Ross Hill cooks up, whar he marinates them in butter an` pine tar an` crab shells an` dead stuff what they find floatin` in the Old Bay. You know- - Old Bay Seasoning. Why, they even makes cake out of crab, up that-a-way. ...so, why not a chicken?"

...which was, of course, a cue for that famous Marx Brothers "viaduct" joke, "Vye a duck? Vye not a schicken?"

Everybody booed, but we all got ta thinkin`, "Yeah, why not?" I thought about that good smoked chicken sausage recipe on page 530 in the Marianskis` book, "Home Production of Quality Meats and Sausages" and for that matter, that whole chapter, 25, on brining poultry. All ya gotta do is wait for a tornado (or else knock the dust and feathers off a chicken or turkey, then eviscerate it), whack it into "parts" and "byproducts," de-bone the good parts, and follow the short set of directions. Stuffed into casings and smoked for an hour, it`s mighty good.

By the time we had gathered up a few dozen, brought `em over to where Chuckwagon had set up operations, and helped with the prep, we had a smoker full of soon-to-be fine eatin`. Those of us not involved in the sausage making finished up our chores. It might not have been gourmet-level, but that night we had ourselves a gore-met (or is it grommet?) feast. Yessir- - smoked chicken sausage! ...and bacon and beans. ...and went to bed with full tummies, humming the song "Follow the Yellow Brick Road," with those irritating munchkins in our heads. ...and dreamed of flying cowboys battling those pesky flying monkeys on their own turf. ...make that, air.
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Tue Jun 03, 2014 21:05

Whew! Would you repeat that? :roll:
Duk, you should have written for Disney! You have 5 pounds of imagination in a 3 pound bag! :mrgreen:
Now, run along and play on the freeway!
el Ducko
Veteran
Veteran

Post by el Ducko » Thu Jun 05, 2014 05:25

Documenting the Pros and Cons of Mint Jelly with Lamb
We crested the small hill and there, in the valley, was a fence. It stretched for miles in both directions. Down the fence line a ways was an entrance gate, and over it arched the sign, "Mint Valley Ranch." A small sign below said "Mint Jelly for All Occasions." An even smaller sign listed the fine print, "...especially for use with lamb," but CW was so hoppin` mad by then that nobody had a chance to read it. Several of us voiced a few not-so-carefully-chosen epithets, some of `em downright pithy and earthy. Make that, curth words. No! ...curse words. No sense dressin` `em up in fancy words. ...lisping, either.

""Looks like we gotta go around, huh?" I asked our mentor, leader, and beloved (but steamed) moderator.

"...or how about we tear out a couple of sections of fence, build us a fire, and camp rat-cheer," Sammy suggested.

"...a section being defined as 640 acres? ...or the length between fence posts, which averages..." Mannie the accountant added. He would have interjected it but, this being a grammatically challenged crowd, worried about his own hide instead of that of the fence. ...not to mention that the word "interjected" sounds... well... down right dirty.

"...awwwww, shaddup!" came the chorus from off-stage, and it was rather loud, the nearest stage being several dozens of miles away, a mile being defined as... Well... you know.

"Mint Valley, huh? Must be some gol-durn dude ranch. ...and fences, to boot. Don`t these people believe in the concept of free range? Why, how can there be free-range beef without free range?" Chuckwagon, sage that he was, made a good point. And, surrounded by sage brush as we were, it made good sense.

"Darn is the most common euphemism, with dang and durn as regional variants. Just as..." Mannie launched again, only to be met with more audible hostility. ...that`s `Bronx cheers` to us un-washed-multitude-types. Of course, he would have retorted, "...a rude sound indicating disapproval, made by sticking the tongue partly out between the lips and blowing air out in a simulation of flatulence," but we wuz all ready to lynch the idiot at this point...

At which point the editor stepped back in. He must have wandered up during the night, rejoining us on our trek southward and westward and rewarding only in that it brought us closer to home.

"Gentlemen," the editor noted, "the use of the word `idiot` is demeaning to those who are mentally handicapped. You should instead use... Hey...! Cut that out...!" He was referring to the rain, make that hail, of cow chips that were being hurled in his direction. Evidently many a herd had crested this same hill, only to be stopped by the fence ahead. While our herd was adding to the supply, many a cow chip had been donated by earlier passers-by as they stopped to figure out what to do next.

Obviously, we couldn`t go through unless we destroyed sections of fence. Some had taken that option, as evidenced by several freshly-painted sets of rails. Others, either put-off by the fence itself or arguing over the semantics of the act, chose to go either left or right, seeking a way around the durn... uh... dang... uh...

So we camped, gathered our thoughts, and tried to figure out how to curse the thing (first things first) and then get on with the task of getting over, under, around, or through the fence. Somebody asked the most Zen of jokes: "How did the chicken cross the road? We could try that." The question was met with puzzled looks, as if these idiots hadn`t heard (or thought out) the joke before. ...but, being no longer able to use the word "idiot" in a retort, nobody said anything.

The editor, looking self-satisfied, sat back down on his log and stretched his hands toward the campfire, his usefulness as part of this story at an end.

"How `bout a snack?" I suggested. "It`ll pep us up, clear our wits, help us think..."

"CW`s got some Landjäger, over there in the wagon. How `bout it, huh?"

To nods of approval and a few... well, we won`t go back into flatulence, let alone flatulence jokes... ol` CW passed some of the snack sausages out. Mutters of "Now yer talkin` " came from the group as they happily settled down for a bit of rest and a chaw. Somebody made the rounds of the guys standing "sentry duty" to keep the herd together, and soon we were all deep in thought, Landjaeger being an excellent stimulant for mental activity.

...or sleep. It must have been an hour later when I suddenly sat up and looked around. There was a thunderstorm gathering to the southwest. If it had rain, great, but it usually had high winds, thunder, air-to-ground lightning, and hail. Out here in the open, a lightning strike can be deadly.

"Hey! We oughta drive the cattle into that draw over there!" I yelled, and pointed toward the south, forgetting all about flash floods. "Lightnin`s a-comin`!"

We rode off to our positions and started the cattle movin` in that direction, when somebody else yelled "Hey! We done completed the cattle drive already. What are we herdin` cattle fer, now? These ain`t our cattle!"

And in fact, this was another herd, moving northward toward the railhead. Thanks to us idiots ridin` down on `em from the direction in which they were going, the cattle got confused. Cattle not bein` the brightest of critters, and those of us who handle `em not bein` the brightest of critters either, they started going in every direction but the one we wanted, which was toward the draw.

The first winds hit, moving in from the southwest, sweeping storms along as the front moved in on us from the northwest. These storm systems are actually cold fronts, the leading edges of high pressure cells that circulate counterclockwise in the northern hemisphere and move across the northern Great Plains. In the wintertime, they collide with moist air from the Gulf of Mexico, kick up dust and heavy rain which turns to sleet, then snow. Temperatures can fall fifty degrees Fahrenheit in that many minutes. In the summertime, they kick up dust and heavy rain which turns to hail and tornadoes. Temperatures can fall fifty degrees in... Well, you get it.

You can imagine the scene- - limited visibility, thunder and lightning and wind, cattle running this way and that, cowboys riding that way and this, Chuckwagon`s chuckwagon heading toward the draw right through the middle of the chaos, a-yellin` "You ***** idiots! It`ll **** flash flood yore *** if you`re not **** careful!"

Well, we finally got most of `em off the high ground and gathered down by what used to be a dry gulch but was now a raging torrent of a stream, where we sheltered as best we could. We were soaked, caked with mud, cold, and if it hadn`t been for that landjaeger, we would have been hungry. The other group made their way over to our hastily-prepared campsite, which didn`t amount to much, seein` as how we were huddled up against the rocks. Everybody looked toward our fearless leader, Chuckwagon. If anybody were to have to take the fall, we were more than happy to grant him that honor. On the other hand, if anyone were to be nominated for hero of the hour...

We were too miserable to think of that angle. We watched as one-by-one, in groups of two or three, or was it... Well, to be honest, nobody was counting. Suddenly it dawned on us idiots... Well, our group, that we were not only badly outnumbered and surrounded, but infiltrated and diluted and any number of other numerically-augmented adjectives as well. ...meaning, we wuz whipped, no matter what.

We collectively forced a smile. There`s bound to be a Bronx saying for that but none of us were from the Bronx, and besides, nobody has seen a New Yorker smile since the days of the World Trade Center 9/11 tragedy. ...nor before that, either, except maybe briefly after the Yankees won a World Series.

The other group looked to their spokesman, who walked up to CW and said the standard greeting in them thar parts: "You boys ain`t from around here, are ya." [editor`s note: this is a statement, rather than a question. If it were a question, it would indicate that the speaker isn`t from around there, himself. ...or herself. ...but we`re not going there.]

Standard answer, voiced by CW: "Nope."

At this point, standards fall into place and either
  • (1, situation comedy) mayhem ensues,
    (2, the 1950`s western) a gunfight ensues,
    (3, 1960`s civil rights/anti-war protest) a sit-in occurs, Federal troops arrive, a riot ensues
    (4, Nixon years) apathy sets in, or is that, ensues
At this point, whatever is spoken or done next largely determines the outcome. Either the other guy or our own Beloved Moderator, CW, says one of the following:
  • (1) "Why, if it isn`t my long lost friend, Bilbo Baggins!"
    (2) ♪"Aren`t...you...the Starbucks Boy? ♫Give me java; Give me joy! ♪"
    (3) "Who put the `bop` in the `bop sha-bop-sha-bop? "
    (4) "Go ahead, Punk- - Make my day."
At this point, groups usually draw apart into Clint Eastwood fans, Arnold Schwarzenegger fans, and those who are ready to head for the lobby and exits. I, for one, opted for the exits. I`m not much use in a fight, especially if the combatants are armed with pistols, rifles... or popcorn, for that matter.

Our un-duly-elected, Beloved Moderator stood his ground. The other foreman forged his way forward. "Thanks fer helpin` us out," he said. "Last bunch what was here done boycotted that Mint Valley crowd as long as they could. ...had ta move the sheep onward, once lamb season done past. ...mint jelly issue, ya know."

"Yeah, Ah heard. ..dag-nab mint jelly! ...plus, the lambs is a problem, once summer sets in," said CW.

"Well, ya come jes` in th` nick-a-time. We`s a-runnin` outa dashes an` apostrophes too. Thanks fer helpin` herd the herd ta safety. Them lightnin` strikes kin be brutal. ...much obliged"

"Happy ta he`p," ol` CW said, then added a modern twist: "No problem, Bro`."

"Always hafta git the last apostrophe in, huh?" the other guy said. "Iff`n ya wasn`t mah long lost brother..."

"Yeah. ...funny how that works, ain`t it? ...mus` be genetic," CW said, and having studied all the genetics and microbiology and all that unpronounceable stuff that he has, who were we to contradict him? In fact, most of us hadn`t used "contra" since the Ronald Reagan "Iran-Contra" days, and we only used it back then because he had appeared in so many western movies that we were bound by contract to use `em.

Well, kiddies, the storm had blown through by then, leaving blue skies, cool winds, and mud where the dust had been. ...did I mention dust? Well, things dry rapidly in the west, and soon we were back ta ridin` in the blowin` dust and flyin` apostrophes again, headed home from the cattle drive. ...jes` another day in the Old West.

...and that`s the truth.
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Fri Jun 06, 2014 02:20

Mint jelly? Mint jelly! Eeeewww! Eeeeewww! :roll: Why you dickey-bird, diving, do-do! You, you... atypical, tacky, turkey! Anyone who would put mint jelly on good lamb would eat rocks and bark at the moon! Are you daft? Did you push the button for the helicopter ejection seat? Don`t you know that mint jelly could cause you to go senile? Just what do you think happened to the producers of the Jerry Springer show?

I wanted to know a little more about ducks so I checked in at "About.com". There is was! An entire "duck" encyclopedia! Now get this... The site is sponsored by ORKIN PEST CONTROL -- the makers of "Raid"! Wow, did they nail that one down. I clicked on "Range and Habitat"... know what came up? Pest extermination! So, I clicked on "Feeding Behavior". Presto! The telephone number for my local Orkin pest-removal representative and specialist. I called the guy and asked him if I was using the right gauge of BB`s in my shotgun. He referred me to the next category down the page. It reads: Duck Hunting. Ah Ha! Finally... some answers. Click! What`s this? Awesome duck hunting in Saskatchewan? Back to the top of the page... In recent years, the number of hunters has declined, making it more important than ever for birders, hikers and other interested conservationists to support the Duck Stamp program. Geeeezzzzeeee! Now I`ve got to buy "Raid" AND a dad-gummed duck stamp. Then I`ve got to find that mock-magpie`s trail again. I think he`s really a buzzard in duck disguise. I`ll get back on his trail... all I have to do is locate the hot air!
el Ducko
Veteran
Veteran

Post by el Ducko » Sat Jun 07, 2014 19:29

Pssst! Hey! Don't tell Chuckwagon, but these new mint-jelly-flavored breath mints (as opposed to the garlic ones that CW uses) render you practically invisible. You can sneak up behind guys like him (or, in my case, AWAY), and then...
WooHoo! WooHoo! WooHoo!
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Sun Jun 08, 2014 02:10

OOOOOoooo you danged rabid duck! Image Woo Hoo my gluteus maximus!

Do you remember when you got dressed up for Halloween and put on your Fairy Godmother costume... complete with magic wand, jeweled tiara, and pointed ballet slippers? Yep, the raiment and regalia were first class! That is... up until the time you followed (duck waddling) me down the sidewalk... all the way downtown! Yes, yes... I was greeted by the mayor and shook his hand. You? You.... :roll: You decided to show off and turn a pirouette in those pointed ballet shoes! Yup, that`s when you screwed yourself right into the sidewalk! :shock:

Danged rabid duck!
el Ducko
Veteran
Veteran

Post by el Ducko » Mon Jun 09, 2014 16:24

This portion is brought to you by....
Ahhhh, never mind. It's slightly out of order because the Fort Griffin Fandangle is comin' up pretty soon, and YOU need to know about it. So, here t'is, folks, a thinly-veiled plug for the area around Abilene and Albany, Texas.....

The Further Adventures of El Ducko and Chuckwagon, Ridin' the Trail Near Abilene
also known as
"How 'TipTopPiano' Learned His Distinctive Playin' Style."

"Dang outfit is like a circus," ol` CW said, as he dished out breakfast. "If`n we wasn`t done and headed fer home, Ah`d probably disband the whole shootin` match."

"Aw, Ah`d hate fer ya to have to do THAT, CW," muleskinner Billy said. Billy was sitting off to the side, kinda like an outcast. Muleskinners are different from ordinary folks. ...REAL different. ...indispensible, but different. (Most of `em can`t spell "indispensible," for example.)

"You been kicked in the haid once`t too many times," Carl Junior allowed. "You kin prolly hear music without no radio or nuthin`." Carl was from California, and trying real hard to fit in, but a steady diet of what used to be 19-cent burgers had taken its toll. Carl`s Junior waistline had greatly expanded over the years, to the point where he had to ride a more sturdy horse than most. Some had even suggested a Clydesdale, and come to think about it, he kinda looked like one, except for the surfer haircut. Frequent use of the word "dude" didn`t endear him to any of the hands, either.

"Ya know," CW said, cocking his ear to the wind, "Ah`m a-startin` ta hear music, too. You so-called gents done been drivin` me crazy fer too long."

We looked at each other, and scratched our heads. It sounded kinda tinny, but it wasn`t tinnitus. It was less a ringing sound and more of a wailing sound, kinda like an old-fashioned steam engine only with more`n the usual complement of whistles.

And then, there on the horizon, over to the east, past Abilene (Texas, which you`d a-knowed if`n you wasn`t sleepin` through my story again, Kids), clear over in Shackleford County, we could see ol` Windy Millburn a-comin,` way off. ...hear him, too. It looked and sounded like a cross between a whirling dervish and a cyclone. The horses spooked. The sound became deafening. And then he stopped, right in the middle of the trail, not twenty paces away. ...stopped moving toward us, that is, but didn`t (unfortunately) stop makin` a racket. The noise was awful loud. From the looks of what he was ridin` in, though, it looked like he`d hit the jackpot at a ninety-percent-off, goin` out of bidness sale at the junkyard.

"Whataya think?" he shouted over the sound of the contraption. "Got `er cheap, over ta Albany. You know- - home of the Fort Griffin Fandangle."

"The WHAT?" CW shouted.

"The Fort Griffin Fandangle. Ever` June, they puts on a play, complete with singin` and dancin` an` purty girls and all, about the history of the region. This year, it starts June 19th and runs thru the 28th. It was the first of its kind in these parts. ...even pre-dates that play over ta Palo Duro Canyon. If`n you boys wuz bright enuf, you`d check out http://fortgriffinfandangle.org/ an` see fer yersef. Ever since I been comin` here, I wanted ta play that ol` steam calliope, and guess what...?"

"They held a gun on ya and made ya play it?" Carl Junior guessed.

Windy shook his head, and a smile crossed his face, which of course triggered frowns on the rest of us.

"Don`t tell me ya borrowed it for the weekend," I said.

"Okay. I won`t. ...`cause they was havin` problems with the old one, so Ah built `em a new one, and they loaned me the old one fer a week er two in return. Whataya think?" he asked again. "If Ah gets ta keep it, Ah could play it all thuh way home to keep you gents entertained. ...least Ah kin do fer ya, seein` as how..."

CW shuddered. "Ah think, if ya don`t blow the thing up and scald us ta death, you`ll burn the place down and burn us ta death. Shut that dang thing off!"

"Cain`t rat-ly do that, CW. Ya see, it done built up a head-a-steam, and ya gots to play it or... KABLOOEY!" He launched into a ragtime version of that well-known circus song, one a them Eye-talians` composition of "March of the Clowns." You know the one. If you don`t, lean over this way and you can still hear it echoing in my head, it was so loud.

We watched the steam pressure gauge sink slowly back down to below the red zone, about the time he launched into the Angry Birds theme song , that catchy little ditty that takes several months to be displaced from your frontal lobes by something else, usually worse.

I distracted him while CW searched frantically for some sort of off switch. "What`s feedin` the durn thang?" he finally shouted in exasperation, "a bunch a dang elves with shovels full of coal?"

"...cow chips," Windy yelled, happily. "This way, we`s self-sufficient while on th` trail. We can play all day and half the night and never run out of steam."

"Steam`s Aunt," CW would have muttered (or something like that), but the thing drowned him out. "Why don`t it do something useful?"

...and I, being the enterprising young youth that I am, immediately realized the solution to our problem. "Hey, Windy...? Ever brew coffee with all that steam?"

"Oh no ya don`t, Duck. Folks LACK mah coffee," CW said, suddenly defensive. He probably meant "like," but most of us hoped that "lack" was the real word. Had Mr. Arbuckle known what was being passed off under the guise of his good product and good name, he would have had a conniption fit, whatever that is. (...not sure, really, but we ol` time western writers always manage to work the word into a story.)

But I motioned to CW to be quiet and, when he started to object, Billy whacked him up-side the head with his nasty-lookin` hat, and in the confusion, I added, "Ya know, Windy, you could use some of the steam to brew coffee, and the boiler stack is perfect for smoking sausages. You can use mesquite wood for fuel too, right? These here local ranchers would be plum grateful..." (or is it plumb grateful? I`ve always wondered.) ..."...if you`d switch to mesquite wood-fired. In fact, you could also do wood-fired pizza, like they do in so-called New York style pizza places so`s they can charge double for half the thickness of crust."

Ol` Windy nodded. "Yeah, Duck- - finally find a decent use for a danged nuisance. If we could get EVERYbody ta usin` mesquite fer grillin` and such, we could eradicate it in... in..."

"In yer short lifetime, ya idjit. That`s thuh dumbest..." CW began, but some of the other guys were looking like they were thinking, and he noticed. "Hmmm. Hey, good thing Ah done thought a that. Thank we could patent it?"

Caution overtook me at that point. I was going to note that the guy who had invented fire probably got there first and the statute of limitations had run out, but CW looked so pleased with himself that I let it slide. Seconds later, Windy noticed that the pop valve on the boiler was about to lift, and launched into a loud and slightly off-key version of... well, I`m not sure what it was, but we could call it "Ninety Eight Decibels Over West Texas." The wind-powered generators which seem to have sprouted up everywhere out there began to turn noticeably faster, another side benefit of the day`s events.

As we crossed the interstate, a mile or so away from Avenger Field, former training base of the Women`s Airforce Service Pilots during World War II and home of a nice WASP museum today, he broke into a loud rendition of "Off We Go Into the Wild Blue Yonder." ...brought tears to my eyes, and not just from being a flyer myself.

At the entrance to the eastbound lanes, Ol` Windy took a hard left turn. "Text message. Gotta git thuh rig back, See ya next year, guys!" ...and with that, he was gone, headed east on Interstate 20 with a full head of steam. Last I saw him, he was cresting a hill, overhauling some disbelieving trucker in the passing lane, the pipes blasting out the music from one of those classic old railroad songs, the "Wreck of the Old Ninety Seven."
  • "They gave him his orders in Mon-roe, Virginia,
    "Sayin `Steve, we`re way behind time.
    "This not Thirty Eight, but it`s Old Ninety Seven.
    "You must put `er into Spencer on time.` "
I suppose that, had he kept on going, he would eventually go up I-20 to I-85, through Spencer, North Carolina, in about two days, hopefully rather than
  • "He was found in the wreck
    "With his hand on the throttle,
    "A-scalded ta death... by... steam."
Most likely he turned north toward Albany, maybe with a short side trip through Mason or Brady just to vent off some steam. You see, steam-powered calliopes tend to go "BANG!" and shower shrapnel over two or three counties if over-pressured. The best (and only) way to avoid that condition is to play like your life depends on it.

...which it does.
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Tue Jun 10, 2014 01:38

Peyote flashback! :roll: That's what he's got.... a permanent, peyote, flashback! No one could be that far out of this universe without the help of a little mescaline alkaloid! That explains the Duck! It's either that or the fact that his aberrant and bizarre deportment is the direct result of the accident that happened while his mother was feeding him a few years back. You see, she used to feed that danged, rabid, duck with a slingshot! Yup, a flipper-crotch. She was shootin' him some duck-dinner one evening when he inadvertently looked down and got nailed right between the eyes with a walnut! :shock:

OoOOoooo Danged rabid duck!
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Mon Jun 16, 2014 00:18

Hey! Look-a-there! You can practically see him now, out in the back yard, making shoo-away motions. No! Wait! Is that a grease fire? Better keep an eye on stack temperature as well as that IMT, oh mustachioed one. (Actually, visibility is about 200 miles on a clear winter day, but you could probably see the smoke.) Looks like he's yelling something, now. Is that "Pike Speak," perhaps? (Eeewww!)
Duk

OOOOOooooo you.... you.... you disturbed, delirious drumstick! :shock: Are you still bowling overhand? :roll: And tell me... did you ever develop that technique you called "fubbyknuckle shotput"? :mrgreen: Hey, I might be a "horse of a different color", but you are a, "strange duck indeed"! I never knew anybody who had to call `information` to the get the number for 911.
el Ducko
Veteran
Veteran

Post by el Ducko » Mon Jun 16, 2014 23:17

Hmmmmm.... All this time, I was under the mistaken impression that the topic was how you got your handleBAR, not your handle. I was expecting some long, technical explanation involving spore propagation, upper lip water activity, fungal growth in the presence of competing species, pH, and whether or not exposure to meteor dust under the full moon by the Great Salt Lake (or one of the little bitty salt-n-pepper lakes) might have had something to do with that nasty looking... er... unusual... uh... luxurious growth what ya got there.

...and does it hurt when it gets caught in the piano?

Duk