Hill Country TX

Talk about anything here as long as it is not against the rules.
Shuswap
Passionate
Passionate

Hill Country TX

Post by Shuswap » Fri Mar 28, 2014 00:26

Duk, we are heading to Dallas mid-April and will visit the Hill Country for a few days. We were there for a week in `11. Do you have a list of favorite sausage/brisket restaurants or sausage making suppliers in the region that you would care to share?

Phil
el Ducko
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Hill Country TX

Post by el Ducko » Fri Mar 28, 2014 03:20

Shuswap wrote:Duk, we are heading to Dallas mid-April and will visit the Hill Country for a few days. We were there for a week in `11. Do you have a list of favorite sausage/brisket restaurants or sausage making suppliers in the region that you would care to share?
Phil
Here's a list of towns in the Austin area known as the "Texas Barbecue Trail": http://www.tourism-tools.com/texasbbq/Welcome.html

Austin, proper, has some "okay" places but has become so touristy that most of 'em aren't very good. (Franklin's is good, but the wait is so long that I haven't tried it.) The Salt Lick, southwest of Austin in Driftwood, is over-rated in my opinion. (All the Food Network people go there, a good reason to avoid it.) Cooper's in Llano is good. They have a branch in New Braunfels which is good, but not as good as the original in Llano. Granzin's in New Braunfels also is good. Smitty's and Kreutz in Lockhart are good. It's a long haul to Luling, but our favorite, City Market, is there. We live close to San Marcos, and go to Fushak's, which is fairly good.

Notice that I haven't listed much in the Hill Country. Times have been hard lately, and a lot of the old places have gone out of business. ...a shame. ...lack of volume, I suspect. ...also, rising beef prices.

Don't overlook the Mexican food. Avoid the chains. Want recommendations?
:mrgreen:
Experience - the ability to instantly recognize a mistake when you make it again.
Shuswap
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Shuswap » Fri Mar 28, 2014 14:36

Thanks Duk - feel badly about the Hill Country hard times - we really enjoyed our visit there and still look forward to our return. I'm not good with heat in my meals so tend to bypass Mex food. In our family the others add heat after I get my serving :oops: