New to me fungus

Talk about anything here as long as it is not against the rules.
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

New to me fungus

Post by ssorllih » Tue Jul 22, 2014 18:47

I found these growing in the edge of a crushed stone driveway on the edge of a mixed hardwood forest. Hogans mushroom is my identifier.
Ross- tightwad home cook
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Tue Jul 22, 2014 19:55

Yikes! You've discovered Dukdroppinonus Fromaboveus! It spread as quickly as the common but dreaded Bovine "stepnslip" cowcrapnearus! Not deadly, but it messes up your "perty" boots! :roll:
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Wed Jul 23, 2014 02:37

I got this answer from a local mushroom club.

At 05:29 PM 7/22/2014, you wrote:

Good afternoon. I live and work in Harford county Maryland and discovered this growth that I have not seen before. It was/is established on the edge of a mixed hardwood forest all the side of a driveway of crushed stone. The surface is dry, the surface texture abrasive, the structure is hard and quite difficult to break, the odor is mild. If any member is familiar with this variety I would be most pleased to know more about it than I have been able to learn so far on my own.

It's called "Deadman's fingers" or Xylaria polymorpha. Check out http://www.mushroomexpert.com/xylaria_polymorpha.html

We find it around here every once in a while, but it's always a source of interest and amusement when it crops up.

Cheryl Dawson for Eastern Penn Mushroomers
Ross- tightwad home cook
el Ducko
Veteran
Veteran

Post by el Ducko » Wed Jul 23, 2014 02:49

Hey, Ross, do you think the name "dead man's fingers" is a clue as to whether or not you should eat it? :shock:
Experience - the ability to instantly recognize a mistake when you make it again.
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Wed Jul 23, 2014 03:10

The texture of the outside is like 120 grit sand paper. and it is as tough as cork. ;-)
Ross- tightwad home cook