Using Cure In Fresh Sausage

Talk about anything here as long as it is not against the rules.
Shuswap
Passionate
Passionate

Using Cure In Fresh Sausage

Post by Shuswap » Wed Jul 23, 2014 17:11

Just read Marianski`s page on curing and he says cure#1 can be used in fresh sausage. I`m interested because I want to try a smoked bratwurst but DW insists on the brats being fresh and I don`t want to make 2 batches. Does anyone making fresh sausage include cure #1 as a regular practice :?:
redzed

Post by redzed » Wed Jul 23, 2014 17:50

You can do what you like. I always leave a few links of fresh Polish sausage (with nitrite) when I prepare a batch for smoking. It's much better for the grill that way. If I poach the fresh sausage I like it without cure. Italian and bratwurst, I prefer without since the nitrite does change the flavour considerably, sometimes overtaking other flavours. Best is make a bit of both and let your better half adjudicate.

Hey Phil, I'm in Tofino and it's raining buckets! Hopefully you are getting some your way so that the smoke clears!
Shuswap
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Shuswap » Wed Jul 23, 2014 19:22

redzed wrote:I always leave a few links of fresh Polish sausage (with nitrite) when I prepare a batch for smoking. It's much better for the grill that way.
Good tip Chris - I'll grill the fresh brats with nitrite. Dw will have to change her Wisconsin Brats method by carmelizing the onion in beer and then adding the onions to the grill brat - just another compromize in our 52 years together :grin:

Rain is coming this afteroon and overnight and the temps are down quite a bit - really helps the firefighters.
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Thu Jul 24, 2014 03:01

My experience has been that nitrites make most pork and dark poultry taste like ham. I have cured chicken thighs with salt, honey and cure#1 and made a very fair substitute for ham in small pieces.
Ross- tightwad home cook
Thewitt
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by Thewitt » Sun Aug 03, 2014 10:05

Authentic longganisas from the Philippines include Cure #1 in fresh sausages.