You CAN'T put that in sausages!

Talk about anything here as long as it is not against the rules.
Thewitt
Frequent User
Frequent User

You CAN'T put that in sausages!

Post by Thewitt » Sun Aug 10, 2014 04:23

Funny story.

We don't run a butcher shop. We make sausage, selling both wholesale and retail.

We order whole pigs - cut in half actually - as this is the cheapest way to get the most meat for the money in this part of the world.

No offal or organ meats.

Everything goes into the sausage that would normally be consumed by people. We sell a few byproducts wholesale, but we turn the pig into sausage from the oink to the tail.

Had a regular customer come in and ask if he could have a private class in sausage making. We have not had a class in a while, and though I need to hold one, he was pretty adamant about taking a one-on-one class, willing to pay well, and wanted to learn everything from receiving the pig to packaging the sausage. I agreed and he met me at 4am to receive delivery and start butchering.

The first hour went fine, and we cut up a couple of halves, grading the meat into lean, 80%, 60% and fat. This is a standard process for us and sausage batches are made from these graded bins.

Next on to cutting and weighing. I instructed him to get about 1.5kg from the lean bin and about .5kg fat and we would trim and weigh. This is how I generally handle a class, then I show they how to take a fatty shoulder and figure out how much extra fat to add. Pigs here tend to be pretty lean, so adding fat is required for literally every cut. I will actually buy fat once a month to supplement the meat since I cannot get enough fat from one pig to balance the meat.

He went to the lean bin, pulled out the loin and said, "You can't make sausage from that!"
I laughed, and said, "Sure we can. We do it every day."
"You don't understand," he replied, "this is too valuable to make sausage. You can sell this for more than you get for sausage by the kilo."
"Yes," I replied, "but then I took a big handful of 60% and said, "I cannot sell this for what I get for sausage by the kilo, so it balances out."

He was horrified :)

He started to pick though the lean bin and wanted me to sell his pile to him for the cost of sausage by the kilo... Of course I couldn't to that, but he was going crazy.... He didn't understand the way this worked, and was completely horrified that this was what I was putting in sausages

He always assumed that sausage was the "leftover" meat that no one would buy from a butcher, and not the prime cuts on a grain fed hog...

We sat and had a break and I explained the economics to him again, and he finally got it, but it was an interesting discussion.

His private class continued and he stayed and helped my staff the rest of the day - just for fun. I sent him home at the end of his volunteer day with some nice lean pork loin as well.

It was an eye opener for him, and made me think maybe I should open a butcher shop....but not for long. The wet markets here are very aggressive with pricing, and the two high end shops are struggling for business...

I don't run a butcher shop, I make sausages. The economics here mean it's cheaper by 1/2 for me to buy whole (halved) pigs and cut them up myself, rather than buy the lesser interesting cuts (shoulder, etc) and added fat.

Anyone else in this situation?

-t
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Sun Aug 10, 2014 18:20

I have observed that whole chicken sell for about the same total price as the boneless breasts from the same chicken. Then the thighs, drumsticks and wings are the profit.
Ross- tightwad home cook
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Sun Aug 10, 2014 23:37

That's an interesting story Tim. It sounds like you've got the situation under control. :mrgreen: Butchering can get pretty old, pretty fast! Have you got some help available?
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
Thewitt
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by Thewitt » Mon Aug 11, 2014 00:54

CW, one good thing about this part of thw world is labor is cheap and works hard. I'm able to focus on areas where i can add vslue to the business and not the repetstive tasks. Training is key of course, but once trained, things run quite smoothly.
Cabonaia
Forum Enthusiast
Forum Enthusiast

Post by Cabonaia » Mon Aug 11, 2014 04:22

I've encountered something similar on a very small scale. I always bought boneless butts, and for a while bone-in picnics, for sausage. I also bought back fat since the meat alone didn't have enough fat, and it wasn't hard fat. Then I raised a few pigs, and my sausage making went way down. Once I used up the butts and picnics, I was reluctant to grind up the leaner cuts. It just occurred to me the other day that this is why I have plenty of pork in the freezer but am not making sausage. Like Thewitt's friend, I found it too horrifying! :shock: I had this thought the other day whilst reading the ingredients on a package of the best linguica I'd ever had (Goulart's smoked). It actually listed the cuts of pork that went into the sausage, which included loin. So there ya go, I thought, don't be silly about this. Get back to it!

Besides, I don't like the leaner cuts as much anyway, even though they are more expensive. It was just the thought of grinding up the more expensive stuff that held me back, I guess.
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Mon Aug 11, 2014 13:06

Tim, I'm getting old and my bones hurt! I'd like to give you some advice from an old guy that learned a hard lesson in my younger years. Do you mind if I pass along some fatherly advice? :roll: I hope not. Here goes:

I loved my ol' dad. I called him "pappy" and he was just a terrific guy. He was full of love and kindness, but once told me if I ever called him, "the old man", that he'd kick my fanny all over the planet. He often gave me words of advice and I'll never forget his "secret of success". It went like this: "If you wish to have a great business instead of just a good one; ...If you wish to have "repeat customers" (and your business will depend upon it), then all you have to do is provide them with the best possible product you can... at a fair price". Then he smiled and said, "And they'll always come back to you".

And Cabonaia, thanks for sharing that information. Very much appreciated.

I wish you success my friends,
Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
Thewitt
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by Thewitt » Mon Aug 11, 2014 13:21

CW, I charge more for my sausages than the local markets, but the varieties are not available anywhere else, the quality is higher, and I'll do custom orders as well.

This week I'll be making 30-40kg of goat sausage for a repeat customer who brings me goats every few weeks. Though I've offered to teach her to make her own, and even help her set up her own kitchen, she prefers to simply drop off the carcasses and let me deal with the sausage making. I make a fair profit, she is happy, and I can count on her business every few weeks.

We developed the recipe together, and I reserve it only for her sausages. I've had several people come try to buy "her" sausages from me but I won't make her recipe for anyone else. I'll do a simple merguez with goat for someone who wants goat sausage from me, but I won't make anything to her recipe...

Integrity, value for the money and relationships can make this a very good business.
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Mon Aug 11, 2014 13:43

Tim, because you have a more valuable, premium product, of course you must charge a bit more for it. Never apologize to your customers. Simply let them know your product is better. If you don't charge a little more, they won't believe it is a better product!
Congrats for being "above board" my friend. In today's society, men of integrity are getting harder to find in the marketing business. Stick by your values pal. You'll never regret it.

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
sawhorseray
Veteran
Veteran

Post by sawhorseray » Mon Aug 11, 2014 14:10

I applaud your ethics and product Tim, both beyond reproach. I've only butchered wild hogs, never a domestic pig. I cut out the hams to smoke and then everything else gets deboned for grind, loins, backstrap, everything. It's funny how so many people who aren't into stuffing or charcuterie believe that most sausage is made from the sweepings of a butchers floor, and nothing could be further from the truth. Premium ingredients make for a premium finished product, I'm happy your business is thriving. Good luck in the future! RAY
“Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment.”