Visit to wild boar farm

Talk about anything here as long as it is not against the rules.
redzed

Visit to wild boar farm

Post by redzed » Thu Aug 21, 2014 17:20

I'm currently in my old stompin' grounds around Saskatchewan, visiting family and friends, mushrooming and walleye fishing. The other day I stopped at a wild boar farm and arranged to buy a half a boar later this fall. I have never made sausage with boar meat and there are so many Polish recipes around, so I am looking forward to having a go.

Bob K

Post by Bob K » Thu Aug 21, 2014 18:05

I don't know how the Boars are but fresh cold water walleye are delicious and I am not much of a fish lover.
cogboy
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by cogboy » Thu Aug 21, 2014 22:46

They look too cute to eat ! :mrgreen:
sawhorseray
Veteran
Veteran

Post by sawhorseray » Thu Aug 21, 2014 22:54

Get a sow Chris, they won't be as lean so you won't have to use much domestic backfat if any. They look cute enough to shoot! RAY
“Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment.”
Thewitt
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by Thewitt » Fri Aug 22, 2014 00:51

Isn't "wild boar farm" an oxymoron? Wouldn't that now be a domestic boar farm?
redzed

Post by redzed » Tue Nov 11, 2014 01:18

My wild boar was slaughtered this weekend on a farm in Saskatchewan. It was a female with a live weight of around 300 lbs. She never had a litter. Half the pork will be mine and I hope to use everything but the chops for sausage. She is in the picture below, minutes before meeting her maker.

sawhorseray
Veteran
Veteran

Post by sawhorseray » Tue Nov 11, 2014 02:05

Wow, that's a beautiful looking hog! I've whacked a couple of sows in my career with just about that much fat on them, there will be no backfat needed for the sausage you'll be making Chris. I usually cut the grind 60% wild hog and 40% domestic porkbutt just to ensure no gamey flavor, but I doubt that's going to be a problem for you. When I managed to get one that had been feeding on acorns, you can smell it when you gut them, the hams were out of this world. The Jamon Iberico from Spain is just a wild hog that's been dining on acorns, those hams go for about $50lb. Have fun, you might want to think a bit about that rear leg. RAY
“Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment.”
Butterbean

Post by Butterbean » Tue Nov 11, 2014 02:56

Good looking pig. Did they feed them or were they totally free range?
Shuswap
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Shuswap » Tue Nov 11, 2014 14:59

redzed wrote:My boar was supposed to be butchered two weeks ago but she was difficult to corral even though they enticed her with food.
Exactly why we gave up raising a couple of pigs each year - loading them in the truck to take to the slaughter house was a nightmare, so bad the hams were streaked with broken blood vessels from the battle :evil:
Phil
redzed

Post by redzed » Tue Nov 25, 2014 08:27

We digressed here but ended up having an excellent discussion about trichinella in wild boars and trichinella in general. Participants submitted several links to valuable and credible sources on the subject. Thread was split off and is found here:

http://wedlinydomowe.pl/en/viewtopic.php?t=7447