Name this cut of beef

Talk about anything here as long as it is not against the rules.
Butterbean

Name this cut of beef

Post by Butterbean » Fri Sep 12, 2014 20:07

I don't know what you'd call this cut of meat. I suspect, but I'm can't say for sure, the fella that butchered the beef was most likely drunk. Would you call this a clod? A hunk? Or is it beef? Could very well be manatee for all I know.

Whatever it is it looks like it would look better if it were made into 17 lbs of snack sticks.
redzed

Post by redzed » Fri Sep 12, 2014 20:46

It's part of the round. I see the rump roast in there plus a bit more top round.
Butterbean

Post by Butterbean » Fri Sep 12, 2014 21:05

Your right. I thought I'd try something different when I cut this one up, being I knew it was going to sausage I just cut big hunks for sausage making. Saved a lot of time and cost in packaging. I still think this cut should have its own name. Maybe a MESS or a CHUNK. :mrgreen:
Butterbean

Post by Butterbean » Fri Sep 12, 2014 22:11

Ended up making some pepperoni sticks.

Turned out pretty good. Nice and creamy with the cheese then a little bite from the pepper at the end.

Recipe

9.2 lbs beef
8.7 lbs of boston butt
23 oz of high melt cheddar cheese
22 oz water
5.8 oz salt
1.4 oz sugar
1 oz paprika
.2 oz cinnamon
.2 oz carraway powder
.2 oz anise
.7 oz fennel crushed fairly fine
.6 oz black pepper
.7 oz cayenne pepper
.5 oz cure
.1 oz sodium erythorbate

Ground once, mixed spices and everything together and ground again. Stuffed in collagen casings and put in hot smoke house at 125F to dry. Once dry applied heavy pecan smoke then gradually turned heat up to 175F then turned the heat off when internal temp hit 152F and left in smoker to cool with a heavy cold smoke.
Cabonaia
Forum Enthusiast
Forum Enthusiast

Post by Cabonaia » Fri Sep 12, 2014 23:33

Those look marvelous! I have been on the lookout for a pepperoni stick recipe, and now I've found one. Thanks for sharing it.

Re. "name that cut," this reminds me of a similar process I go through on a smaller scale. We get a side of beef every year, and I tell the butcher not to grind any hamburger - just give me the trim and I'll grind it the way I want it. As I chop the trim into grinder size chunks, I pull out the pieces that look like they came from very nice cuts. These go into other dishes. I can't say exactly where they come from -- maybe Redzed could! -- but it feels like a bonus to save these "special" scraps from the grinder. Before I started doing this, I never stopped to wonder why most all the cuts I see in the grocery store are so nice and rectangular.

Jeff
cogboy
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by cogboy » Fri Sep 12, 2014 23:59

The sausage looks good and I would have called that chunk bottom round.
redzed

Post by redzed » Sat Sep 13, 2014 01:27

cogboy wrote:The sausage looks good and I would have called that chunk bottom round.
Actually it is a cross section of the whole round, it has a small portion of the bottom round, the eye of round and a big portion of top round.
cogboy
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by cogboy » Sat Sep 13, 2014 11:59

redzed wrote:
cogboy wrote:The sausage looks good and I would have called that chunk bottom round.
Actually it is a cross section of the whole round, it has a small portion of the bottom round, the eye of round and a big portion of top round.
Redzed, I can see the different primals AFTER reading what you said . :lol:
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Sat Sep 13, 2014 18:13

My gosh that's a nice lookin' recipe Joe. But I would have to have just a touch more black pepper. I have to cram black pepper on everything! Shucks, I even put black pepper on my pickles, ice cream, and cinnamon rolls. :roll:
However, I must try your recipe - it looks mighty fine! What are you goin' to call this thing? How about "Butterbean Slims"? Or maybe "Butterbeanpoles"? "Butterbean Leans"?
Awaiting your reply sir!

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
Butterbean

Post by Butterbean » Sat Sep 13, 2014 18:33

Long way from naming it. Everyone who tried it loved it. The creaminess of the cheese is what seemed to strike most people's tastes but I agree with you on the pepper. It could have used more. It did have a subtle bite at the end but could use more. And more fennel too. Maybe double the fennel only with the second dose use whole fennel. I think the whole fennel would be a nice gift for flavor.

Enough experimenting for me for a while. Gonna go back to the roots and make some Kabonosy out of the Stan's book on page 96. Should have just enough time to make it before I head out west. Should be a good treat while I'm hunting.