Is the flag is going to become a right royal regular stosh.

Talk about anything here as long as it is not against the rules.
markjass
Passionate
Passionate

Is the flag is going to become a right royal regular stosh.

Post by markjass » Tue Sep 23, 2014 02:27

I was born and lived in the UK until I was 27. Since 1989 I have lived in New Zealand (25 yrs). I hold dual citizenship and respect both countries.

Every so often the issue of the NZ flag comes up. Whether to retain or change the flag. From a personal point it does not matter to me. I see a flag as a symbol not a representation of what a country is. To others the flag is a very important almost hallowed item. I do not criticise those who do not agree with me. I see that the issue of the flag is going to become a right royal regular stosh (punch up).

From the BBC web page:

New Zealand PM John Key wants flag change vote in 2015. Some feel the Union Jack featured on the flag undermines New Zealand's independence from Britain
Continue reading the main story
Related Stories

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-29306394
Do no harm. Margerine is the biggest food crime
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Tue Sep 23, 2014 03:07

Some people simply don't have enough to do.
Ross- tightwad home cook
redzed

Post by redzed » Tue Sep 23, 2014 06:30

We had a similar debate in the period leading up to the adoption of the red maple leaf as Canada's flag in 1965. Our flag before that was the red ensign with the Union Jack in the upper left corner. There was vehement opposition from veterans' groups, the Conservative party led by former PM John G. Diefenbaker, and by folks who just don't like change. In the end, the new flag was an astounding success and today is one of the most recognizable flags in the world. I don't wish to meddle in the affairs of foreign countries, or to make pronouncements about issues I know very little of, but based on Canada's experience, maybe it's time for New Zealand to affirm it's independence and nationhood by having it's own unique flag. :lol:
markjass
Passionate
Passionate

Post by markjass » Tue Sep 23, 2014 10:23

As I mentioned the flag is not an issue to me, but it is very important to others. I did not know about the flag debate in Canada. The flag is a simple bold emblem. I wonder if it is because of the flag that I so strongly associate the maple leaf with Canada. Many people get confused between the Australian flag and NZ flag. Locals can tell the diference, but can others http://brianaralph.blogspot.co.nz/2008/ ... ralia.html
Do no harm. Margerine is the biggest food crime