Shipping Charges

Talk about anything here as long as it is not against the rules.
Shuswap
Passionate
Passionate

Shipping Charges

Post by Shuswap » Fri Dec 05, 2014 21:04

Devo wrote:I find their shipping rates to be out of this world for Canada.
So true Devo - we've had occassion to send identical parcels to our daughter in ON and our son in TX - the cross Cda shipping was twice that of TX - but some one has to pay the big bonuses to the executives, eh. I often wonder how Amazon.ca can be competitive in pricing and ship for free. :roll:

Note: This Topic was split from a UMAI discussion. Devos quote above was referring to shipping charges from The Sausage Maker to CA
Last edited by Shuswap on Mon Dec 08, 2014 05:47, edited 2 times in total.
Phil
crustyo44
Veteran
Veteran

Post by crustyo44 » Sat Dec 06, 2014 05:29

Hi Phil,
Being an account holder with FedEx and other large international shippers for many years, I can tell you that discounts of up to 90% are on offer, it is all dependant on quantities and cubic volume.
All our USA purchases are pre-paid by the supplier to get this discount and every invoice is paid for on a 30/60 days account.
The USA supplier qualifies for a small 2-4% commission from the international shippers.
People like you pay through the nose.
Cheers,
Jan.
Shuswap
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Shuswap » Sat Dec 06, 2014 15:21

Jan, I've bought some big ticket items recently as I celebrate my wife's 75th and noticed that the suppliers (Apple & Lenovo) both use UPS instead of USPS - no doubt because of those discounts you mention and they were promoting free shipping. They also seem to cut through Customs faster.
Phil
crustyo44
Veteran
Veteran

Post by crustyo44 » Sat Dec 06, 2014 23:23

Phil,
UPS, FedEx etc etc include customs clearance costs in their charges. Here in Australia, anything imported under AUD $ 1000.-- is duty and tax free so no clearance charges apply as well and the time frame through Customs is extremely speedy as well.
Florida to Brisbane door to door 3 1/2 days most times.
It takes longer to send a letter from Brisbane to Sydney.
Go figure!!,
Cheers,
Jan.