Persistence

Talk about anything here as long as it is not against the rules.
Butterbean

Persistence

Post by Butterbean » Tue Feb 03, 2015 06:52

Found a great source for plastic vacuum bags but the owner sortof brushed me off being I'm such a small meat monger. Talked to the sales staff and they stroked me a bit only to tell me later their engineers said the bags I use were pleated and their product would not work in my machine.

As fate would have it one of their lowly employees purchased some bacon from me and we discussed the bags. He looked at my bags and said they made that very bag and like me he saw no pleats on the bag. He promised the next time he came to see me he would bring a few of their bags for me to try.

True to his word he did. The bags were much thicker than the three mill I normally use but this made them mostly impervious to bone which was fine by me. We tried a few bags and after some heat adjustment to the sealer the bags worked perfectly - even with bones. I asked if they were food grade and he assured me they were and explained the only difference in their food grade bags and their non food grade bags was the food grade bags had to be packaged in plastic after manufacturing and the others didn't. We both chuckled at this.

After seeing they worked he went to his car and brought me about forty pounds of bags and gave them to me. I in turn offered his meat order at no charge but he refused. He told me he could get me all I wanted as they had cases and cases of bags that were miscut and might have been off a quarter inch from spec and these would either be binned or recycled.

Apparently when you can't get in the front door there is always another if you keep looking. I think the whole thing is silly. We could have had a win/win deal had they only took the time and allowed me to buy their perfectly good trash but I'll gladly take it for nothing.
Bob K

Post by Bob K » Tue Feb 03, 2015 15:39

Great deal Butterbean :!:
Butterbean wrote:Talked to the sales staff and they stroked me a bit only to tell me later their engineers said the bags I use were pleated and their product would not work in my machine.
Be thankful their engineers assumed you did not have a chamber machine!
Butterbean

Post by Butterbean » Tue Feb 03, 2015 16:21

Isn't that the truth. These big companies can't seem to see past the mega orders. I would have been more than happy to buy their "miscuts" or "sizing runs" where they wouldn't have to be trashed but I'll gladly help them dispose of this waste one bag at a time.

Now if I can only find someone making casings.
Devo
Forum Enthusiast
Forum Enthusiast

Post by Devo » Tue Feb 03, 2015 17:08

Excellent Image