Eagle pictures

Talk about anything here as long as it is not against the rules.
Devo
Forum Enthusiast
Forum Enthusiast

Eagle pictures

Post by Devo » Sat Mar 07, 2015 21:00

Living out in the country we don't have garbage pickup. It is YOU pick it up and take it to the dump. Well today I finally remembered to bring along my camera. You see there is a pair of resident eagles at the dump. Very beautiful birds. Today I was able to get some good shots of them.
There are two of them but one did not want his picture taken.

Notice how he has worn the bark off that branch.

redzed

Post by redzed » Sun Mar 08, 2015 04:08

Nice shot of the bald eagle Devo. Where we live, they fly around here all the time. I sometimes have to step back and think how lucky we are, being so much insulated from the $hit that is going on everywhere else.
Shuswap
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Shuswap » Sun Mar 08, 2015 15:30

redzed wrote:Nice shot of the bald eagle Devo. Where we live, they fly around here all the time. I sometimes have to step back and think how lucky we are, being so much insulated from the $hit that is going on everywhere else.
Red, isn't it herring season now when hundreds of eagles gather at Englishman River or is it too early yet?
Phil
redzed

Post by redzed » Sun Mar 08, 2015 17:32

The herring spawn started last Saturday, March 1, and it's pretty much over. It's quite a sight, with millions of herring in the waters, people scooping them out with nets from the shore, a fleet of commercial boats further out, herds of seals and thousands of birds feeding.

I'm not a fan of the commercial fishery taking tons of herring just so the Japanese can have their delicacy "kazunoko". The herring are needed to support the salmon fishery and also provide a feed for birds and bears. They are and integral part of the ecosystem. If the Japanese had their way they would net and scrape up every living thing in the ocean and eat it.