ye-ha at last. update

Talk about anything here as long as it is not against the rules.
markjass
Passionate
Passionate

ye-ha at last. update

Post by markjass » Sun May 24, 2015 12:41

Have not contributed much recently as I have been doing a paper or two:

On 22 February 2011 Christchurch NZ had an earthquake. It severely damaged New Zealand's second-largest city, killing 185 people.

The magnitude 6.3 (ML) earthquake struck at 12:51. It was 5 km deep and 5 kilometres from where I live. I was without sewage for 18 months (got bored wit a chemical toilet and dug a long drop. My house is small, it sank 20 cm from one end to the other and tipped sidewards by 5 cm. It also moved north by about 15 cm. The house as been livable and I got off lightly compared to many oters. I was not physically hurt. About a year ago I found out that my house was going to br=e rebuilt, but no date had been set.

I have been planning an overseas trip to Singapore, the UK (where I am from), Morocco and Poland for at least a year. Decided to go for the trip because I wanted to be home for my fathers 80th birthday.

Well tonight is my last night sleep in the wonky house. While I am away, the plan is for my house to be demolished. Tomorrow I move into a motel for 3 nights. Just need the final push to get packed. The movers arrive Tuesday at 8am.

On Thursday I am off on a big trip for 8 weeks. I have three appointments tomorrow; sign off the forms on colour, taps, roof you name it (slight glitch today), osteopath to free up my back and dentist to sort out a tooth that broke in half on Friday night.

I am not stressed, just totally and utterly knackered, In a little under 5 weeks (insurance company brought my rebuild forward from some un defined date in the future, got building consent in 4 weeks), I have redesigned the house (have had a few yrs to think about it) chose colours, sinks, taps, carpet etc (curtains will wait until I return), somewhere to store my furniture, somewhere to live on return from my trip (same motel that I am moving into tomorrow evening) until I can find somewhere to live long term (think I have sorted that out), move all the plants that I want to survive (everything that is in 1.5 m of the house, phone, power, rates. The list goes on and on.

I will get a sleep in on Wednesday morning. Then a hair cut after lunch, followed by a 1 1/2 hr sports massage. Wednesday evening I am going out for a slap up meal. I don't think that my holiday will become more than a blip on the radar until then. I dont have to be at the airport until 9 am (1/2 hr drive away).

There are so may friends, colleagues, strangers(who are now friends) who have helped me. My insurance co and the builders and designers have been so good.
Do no harm. Margerine is the biggest food crime