Textured Vegetable Protien (TVP)

Talk about anything here as long as it is not against the rules.
Tom
Beginner
Beginner

Textured Vegetable Protien (TVP)

Post by Tom » Fri Dec 04, 2015 14:40

Need some help with TVP and its use. Several recipes I've found ask for TVP. A little searching shows it's a soy product. I'm really not sure what it is and why it's used in the process. Is there other TVP's that aren't soy based that could be used as a substitute? Tom
Bob K

Post by Bob K » Fri Dec 04, 2015 14:57

A/K/A soy protein, soy protein concentrate. Used as a filler and a binder. For the most part it can be eliminated from most recipes, although some do benefit.

Powdered non-fat milk is used as a substitute. Make sure you use the powdered milk and not the flakes.

Both are available from suppliers like the Sausage Maker and Butcher and Packer.
redzed

Post by redzed » Fri Dec 04, 2015 19:26

As Bob indicated above, TVP can be eliminated from most recipes. When you do see it in a recipe it more than likely is a commercial one since its use is primarily as a meat extender. It is cheaper than meat and allows for the addition of more water. I have used textured soy protein a number of times as a substitute for rusk or bread crumbs in some fresh sausage recipes. My wife cannot have gluten. Textured vegetable protein contains soy wheat and oats.