Brining/Cure calculators

Talk about anything here as long as it is not against the rules.
Tom
Beginner
Beginner

Brining/Cure calculators

Post by Tom » Sat Dec 05, 2015 15:13

I found two great calculators here one from the sister site and another from DigginDigFarm. I like the added features, salt and sugar, on DDF's calculator. I however get very confused about the dry cure and wet cure. The more I read the more confused I get. The brine cure is the most confusing for me. First can I use the calculator for a brine? If so do I have to account for the water and how much water to use? The dry cure seems straight forward but is the same for a whole muscle and ground muscle? I'm sure the information is here somewhere but it would be nice to have a very very simple explanation more directed at using the calculator. Tom
Bob K

Post by Bob K » Sat Dec 05, 2015 16:32

Tom-
It is definitely confusing as there are different rules for different products. :shock:

If you really want to get confused read the FDA rules here: http://www.fsis.usda.gov/OPPDE/rdad/FSI ... 7620-3.pdf

Actually if you go to page 12 there is a pretty straightforward table.

Anyways:
for commuted (ground) meats it is always 156 ppm, regular or dry-cured
For dry cured Whole Muscle products (Coppa etc. ) 400ppm is a safe bet. 625 ppm is allowed.
Bacon, 120 ppm cure#1 only
Those you can use the calculator for. Always use the amount of meat+ fat to calculate not the total weight of meat and other ingredients

Brines hopefully someone else can help out with
Tom
Beginner
Beginner

Post by Tom » Sat Dec 05, 2015 19:28

Thanks Bob K now, knowing this, I feel I can explore outside a known recipe by using the calculator for proper percentages. The only question now is using the calculator with a brine. Personally I like the flavors imparted by a dry cure vs a wet. I think I'll skip the USDA stuff I already have a headache. :grin: Tom
Bob K

Post by Bob K » Sat Dec 05, 2015 21:42

Just to define-

A dry cured product is one that that has been cured and then dried for an extended amount of time 30+ days.
Not to be confused with a product that has been rubbed/mixed with dry salt and cure mixture.
Tom
Beginner
Beginner

Post by Tom » Sat Dec 05, 2015 22:10

Ok I used Len Poli's recipe for Pancetta-Italian Style Rolled Bacon-Dry Cured. 8 days in cure 3 days air dry then encase and hung for 20 days. This recipe calls for cure#1. Is this correct safe? It calls for the final product to be refrigerated after this. Stupid question, can this be eaten as is or must it be cooked? :???:
Bob K

Post by Bob K » Sun Dec 06, 2015 13:39

That should be cooked before eating.