Just fooling around

Talk about anything here as long as it is not against the rules.
Butterbean

Just fooling around

Post by Butterbean » Fri Oct 28, 2016 22:54

Last year I butchered a pig and cleaned the casings and in May, on a whim, I thought it would be neat to see just how big of a salami I could make. Using what I think was the stomach I stuffed this with 7.5 lbs of soppressata mince. Using slow fermentation I set off on this curious journey.

Anyhow, my plans were to slice the salami at 40% shrinkage but its been nearly 6 months and its been hovering at 37.6% for over a week now but it felt firm enough so with my curiosity at its peak I sliced into it today to see if this was a train wreck or not. Thankfully, it looks like all is good.

It resembles some sci-fi cocoon of sorts.

Had a little indecision on how to best slice it.

Looks like it dried pretty evenly. Was pleased with the texture and the flavor is interesting. Very delicate and almost has a nutty flavor in it.

https://scontent-atl3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/ ... e=58D37990

Closeup. It seems to have dried better than I expected. It is by far the largest minced meat product I've ever tried to dry so I'm pleased to see it worked. Of course there is a lot more slicing to do before I will know if the whole thing did right so the nightmares of cavernous holes in the salami will still plague me till I have it all sliced. But for now I'm pleased.

Rich
User
User

Post by Rich » Fri Oct 28, 2016 23:47

Wow !! That thing is "YUGE" !! looks tasty though...you may be onto something...

Cheers,

Rich
Rich
User
User

Post by Rich » Fri Oct 28, 2016 23:55

Wow !! That thing is "YUGE" !! looks tasty though...you may be onto something...Also happened to notice you like good steel !! :grin:

Cheers,

Rich
redzed

Post by redzed » Sat Oct 29, 2016 06:43

Very nice BB! And it's amazing that for something that size there is no case hardening! Conditions in your cave must be perfect. :grin:
LOUSANTELLO
Forum Enthusiast
Forum Enthusiast

Post by LOUSANTELLO » Sat Oct 29, 2016 13:36

I did these a while ago. They were about 10 pounds each...Image
Butterbean

Post by Butterbean » Sat Oct 29, 2016 13:43

redzed wrote:Very nice BB! And it's amazing that for something that size there is no case hardening! Conditions in your cave must be perfect. :grin:
Thanks, I was relieved after cutting it because I half expected a train wreck.

On the case hardening, I can't help but wonder if the thickness of the casing may have helped reduce the risk of hardening. I don't know this for certain but it almost seemed like the casing was possibly double-walled and definitely much thicker than what I've used in the past. At first, drying was extremely slow compared to the other salami but it was just slow and steady. I think this may have been a good thing since I used a slow fermentation process. I regret not taking notes but I really didn't expect it to work.

Here is a close up of the dried casing you can see the thickness and what looks to be a double wall in some areas.

Last edited by Butterbean on Sat Oct 29, 2016 13:56, edited 1 time in total.
LOUSANTELLO
Forum Enthusiast
Forum Enthusiast

Post by LOUSANTELLO » Sat Oct 29, 2016 13:44

Butterbean

Post by Butterbean » Sat Oct 29, 2016 13:57

That looks terrific Lou. Love the color.
LOUSANTELLO
Forum Enthusiast
Forum Enthusiast

Post by LOUSANTELLO » Sat Oct 29, 2016 14:00

I did have a couple of pockets in some areas when I sliced it, so I did have some areas that I tossed. But I still ended up with 15-20 pounds vacuum sealed.
Butterbean

Post by Butterbean » Sat Oct 29, 2016 14:04

The pockets are what concerns me. I haven't finished slicing it all yet so I may find some too. That's been my biggest fear.
Kunde

Post by Kunde » Sun Oct 30, 2016 03:19

happy with my new breakfast plate
healthier than before or not but at least tastes much much better ... :smile:
Butterbean

Post by Butterbean » Sun Oct 30, 2016 14:40

LOUSANTELLO wrote:I did these a while ago. They were about 10 pounds each...Image
Those are huge Lou. About how long did it take fo dry them?

Kunde, that's a beautiful plate. If you ate all that I hope you scheduled a nap afterward. :lol: