Santa was busy today

Talk about anything here as long as it is not against the rules.
Butterbean

Santa was busy today

Post by Butterbean » Mon Dec 19, 2016 06:34

Made around 50 chubs of venison summer sausage today. I plan on giving to folks for Christmas. Played around with spices - maybe too much - and ended up with an interesting sausage but I'll let the recipients say whether it is good or not.

LOUSANTELLO
Forum Enthusiast
Forum Enthusiast

Post by LOUSANTELLO » Mon Dec 19, 2016 13:23

is it cured, smoked, poached? What's the process?
fatboyz
Forum Enthusiast
Forum Enthusiast

Post by fatboyz » Mon Dec 19, 2016 15:15

Looks nice. I make a jalapeno cheese deer summer sausage just like that.
redzed

Post by redzed » Mon Dec 19, 2016 18:57

Looks very nice BB! And your generosity iand community spirit commendable. Image
Butterbean

Post by Butterbean » Mon Dec 19, 2016 20:04

LOUSANTELLO wrote:is it cured, smoked, poached? What's the process?
Here is what I did. I'm still undecided whether or not I like it but I dropped a chub by a meat market where three butchers sampled it and they all liked it and said they couldn't offer any suggestions on how to improve it. I don't know. To me, I think its lacking some pepper and is on the sweet side with maybe too much cardamon. Sortof perfumey to me. But I like spices and heat. Its not bad though. Just not what I was hoping for.

This recipe gives a mild, somewhat sweet floral flavored summer sausage. Meat used was 70% venison and 30% beef fat.
2.3% Salt
0.25% Cure 1
0.5% Onion Powder
0.5% Black Pepper
0.7% Turbinado Sugar
0.13% Nutmeg
0.88% Granulated Garlic
0.07% Mustard Powder
0.09% Powdered Basil
1 TBS EACH of Coriander and Mustard Seed per every 10 lbs of meat.
10% Sharp Cheddar Cheese
0.06% Sodium Erythorbate
3.1% Fermento OR Add 1% dextrose and culture such as FLC and ferment for 48 hours, or add 1/2 cup of NFMP per 10 lbs.
4 cups of Venison Stock
Grind meat through 3/16 plate. Mix seasonings, grind again. Add cheese and coriander and mustard seeds then mix well. Stuff and place in heated smokehouse to dry then smoke at under 175F till internal temp reaches 150F then shower with water to cool.
Bob K

Post by Bob K » Tue Dec 20, 2016 15:23

Those look great! It always feels better to give a gift of something you made, and folks appreciate it.

Too much Cardamom? Its not listed in the recipe.
You rarely see beef fat in a recipe, is there a certain type that you use?
Butterbean

Post by Butterbean » Wed Dec 21, 2016 01:49

Bob K wrote:Those look great! It always feels better to give a gift of something you made, and folks appreciate it.

Too much Cardamom? Its not listed in the recipe.
You rarely see beef fat in a recipe, is there a certain type that you use?
Sorry, I meant coriander. I've been working some long hours lately and I think I might be getting to old to be doing what I'm doing.

The I chose beef fat because I wanted the sausage to taste like beef and not venison. Our deer fed heavily on peanuts and corn so they have no gamey taste and taste very similar to beef so I trimmed the tallow heavily and substituted plain beef fat trimmings.
Butterbean

Post by Butterbean » Thu Dec 22, 2016 07:44

This recipe is a hit. I gave a businessman in town a stick and he is now wants to buy several from me to give as gifts and he is a tightwad who used to own a meat packing plant. However, I cannot sell venison products in this manner and told him this but he was very persistent but I still declined. While I don't agree with all of the laws this one I do agree with because I don't think selling wild game should ever be legal.