There is hope for us meat mongers

Talk about anything here as long as it is not against the rules.
Butterbean

There is hope for us meat mongers

Post by Butterbean » Sun Jan 29, 2017 18:55

My son is a doctor and is studying to be a surgeon and plans on specializing in heart surgery so you can imagine how I have rued the day when he would lecture me on how all my meat doings was just wrong and unhealthy. So you can imagine my shock today when he started telling me the exact opposite and how meats, cheeses and high fat foods can be a very healthy part of our diet. In fact, he said our bodies are actually wired to eat these foods.

To be perfectly honest, he was far above my head when he explained this to me but what he said made a lot of sense and I was surprised he of all people would be saying this because all I've heard has been the opposite.

I can't explain it like he did but the gist of what he was saying its all about balance and one of the reasons there are so many heart problems today is that we are out of balance. This imbalance isn't from the consumption of to much meats, fats or cheeses but from the over-consumption of breads and carbohydrates. He said what happens with these type foods is they trigger the body to build fat whereas if one were to cut out or limit the carbohydrates and sugars the body has a mechanism that will trigger it to not utilize unneeded fats found in meats and cheeses. I asked about cholesterol and he said this wouldn't be a problem either since it will just pass through the body unused.

He said the human body runs best when its in the ketogenic mode. In this mode, the body is using fats and ketones as its energy source rather than empty calories found in carbohydrates and sugars. He said when the body does this its in a healthier mode and the mind has more clarity. He went on to say - jokingly - that this is why a vegan diet makes people so stupid due to the lack of vitamin B and its just not natural.

While I'm not necessarily fat, I could stand to lose a few pounds and he said if I'd simply continue a high meat diet without the carbohydrates my body would go into this ketogenic state more often and I'd lose weight really fast but you have to be sure to stay clear of the carbs. Of course, my main concern with this was cholesterol levels but he assured me this wouldn't be an issue since the body would not take these in if sugars and carbs were eliminated.

So it sounds like I might need to make up a bunch of salami and cheese and give this a go. Will just need to pass on the bread.

Anyhow, I thought this interesting. Am sure there is more to it than this but its nice to hear someone saying that we are killing people with our craft. Here is a link he gave me if anyone wants to learn more than the paltry information I shared.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/ketogen ... guide.html
fatboyz
Forum Enthusiast
Forum Enthusiast

Post by fatboyz » Sun Jan 29, 2017 21:04

That's the basis for the Dukan diet. You eat mostly lean meat. Then you alternate between pure protein days and days with protein and vegetables but cut out carbs and most sugars. Once you're at your target you can bring back the carbs in moderation. This how I maintain my weight. Although I love bread, my morning snack of Genoa or Landjaeger is pretty good too. My recent physical with a new to me doctor had him amazed at my blood pressure and cholesterol and over all health. I still am very active and train in the martial art Muay Thai two to three times a week. But a very heavy meat diet is the key. Again most of my products contain a good portion, up to 50% wild meat too so that helps.
muxmun
User
User

Post by muxmun » Sun Jan 29, 2017 23:21

I cut the carbs out of my diet and went to more high protein diet. First thing that happened is my heartburn that I have had for the last 30 years went away. No more tums. Second thing is almost 20 pounds came off fairly fast. its nice not to have to pop Tums everyday. :grin:
Butterbean

Post by Butterbean » Sun Jan 29, 2017 23:38

I find the subject really interesting. I would have thought by consuming a high meat high fat diet your cholesterol would go off the chart but he said this isn't the case. Pretty neat stuff.

He said he gave the diet to a friend and within six weeks they had lost 30 lbs and felt much better.
fatboyz
Forum Enthusiast
Forum Enthusiast

Post by fatboyz » Mon Jan 30, 2017 15:07

My bad cholesterol was rock bottom but my good cholesterol was almost high. I believe in the high protein diet your energy is coming from the fat so maybe that's why the cholesterol is low. Again it should be lean meat. I think a diet of just semi dried salami might be a bit much!
redzed

Post by redzed » Mon Jan 30, 2017 17:40

Yes we definitely have been misled for years now, eating margarine instead of butter, avoiding meats or insisting to trim off every single cell of fat from our steak or pork chop. Instead we packed in the highly processed grains with loads of sugar because the label said "fat free". Finally the truth is coming out.

http://www.express.co.uk/life-style/hea ... r-40-years