Productive Morning

Talk about anything here as long as it is not against the rules.
redzed

Post by redzed » Sun Mar 05, 2017 22:43

Yeah, BB you just keep making me more and more jealous, I'm as green as a leprechaun's hat! Sure with I had some of that wild hog meat to make sausage!
Butterbean

Post by Butterbean » Mon Mar 06, 2017 00:53

I wish you were closer because I'd have gladly given you the big red spotted one and together I think we could have drug her to the hill easy enough. I think she probably went about 275 lbs and had some pretty hams on her but I just couldn't manage it myself even with the "help" I had. I even got her within 100 yards of the hill before I gave up. That dead weight is something else to try and move and a pig is a dense animal.

I have set some snares so I hope to catch some more. Of course all of my snares are within 30 yards of places I can get the truck to. I've never tried this but I think it should work. In all your travels if you ever head south let me know and I'll load you up with pig meat. It seems to have a good balance of fat and flesh.
fatboyz
Forum Enthusiast
Forum Enthusiast

Post by fatboyz » Mon Mar 06, 2017 03:28

Butterbean. The way I do hogs is with a tiger torch. Hang the hog hit a spot about the size of a dinner plate with the torch until the skin blisters then scrape with knife or hog scraper. keep working plate size areas until done. After all scraped you give it a wash to get the the char off.
Should work for you. Our outdoor hogs here have pretty thick hair here in the winter too.
Butterbean

Post by Butterbean » Mon Mar 06, 2017 12:31

Thanks, I'll have to give that a try. I figured with the small one would make a great thing to cook whole and I had a large pot it would fit right in. Didn't think it would be much trouble at all. After dipping it the hair - which was thick and dense - started to come right off but the ribs were so pliable I had trouble getting enough pressure to scrape them properly and had to resort to plucking by hand. That got old fast.