Get ready for more confusion

Talk about anything here as long as it is not against the rules.
Butterbean

Get ready for more confusion

Post by Butterbean » Fri Mar 17, 2017 03:44

The World Health Organization put a lot of fear in people about nitrates but what's coming soon is a new report where they will be saying all red meat is probably carcinogenic and all processed meat is carcinogenic - this information is expected to be published this summer. In light of this and a few other things the Center for Science in the Public Interest is asking the USDA to require warning labels on meat similar to those found on cigarettes. Should be interesting.
Sleebus
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by Sleebus » Fri Mar 17, 2017 12:49

I seem to remember something about that when we were living back in the UK last year. I would say "yay, more for me" but this could disrupt supply chains and really mess with the price of beef. Hopefully most people will ignore, but likely millennials (who seem to grab on to anything without thinking) will go all in on it and spend their lives sucking on protein shakes.
Butterbean

Post by Butterbean » Fri Mar 17, 2017 19:12

I'm afraid you are right. Just look at the damage the nitrate scare did to the small processors in this country.

This was discussed heavily at the latest meat processors conference. They say this study will be made public sometime this summer. The WHO has often knocked meat saying it is a waste of resources that could be feeding the masses. Their doing this really upset congress and they talked about defunding one of the entities pushing this agenda and this was even before Trump.