Productive Saturday

Talk about anything here as long as it is not against the rules.
Butterbean

Productive Saturday

Post by Butterbean » Sun Mar 26, 2017 02:31

Spent the day smoking meat, grinding sausage and making pulled pork.

Made some ground pork sausage just a basic sage and red pepper patty sausage which is well loved here. Its almost all gone now. Smoked some jalapeno and cheese sausage and some sage and pepper sausage. Also smoked two hams from the wild boar I got a few weeks ago. I brined it using the Sweetheart Ham recipe posted here and they turned out incredible. I'm glad I can't sell them - more for me eh? lol

The flavor of these hams is incredible.

Bob K

Post by Bob K » Sun Mar 26, 2017 12:53

Looks good! Those stockinettes/ham bags work well for loins and shoulders also. They also seem to keep the meat moister, or is it my imagination. :???:
redzed

Post by redzed » Sun Mar 26, 2017 16:04

Beautiful stuff, makes my mouth water. Classic country fare, something that is unknown to people who buy everything at a supermarket.
Butterbean

Post by Butterbean » Sun Mar 26, 2017 17:58

Thank you. Like you say, this type food is unknown to many who do their shopping at the big box stores and what's bad is I see more people comparing what I make to what they buy at the store and what we might make isn't what they are accustomed to.

Had a new fella drop by to buy some sausage and of course the first thing he asked was the price. He then quoted the price of patty sausage he recently bought at the store. Feeling a bit cornered I told him this was different and I didn't add a bunch of stuff or fat to make it cheap but I concentrated on quality. I could tell he had his doubts so I told him I'd show him the difference and cook a patty for him to sample and then he could make his own decision since I felt he was comparing apples to oranges. After cooking him a patty and him seeing there was no grease in the pan he ended up buying half of all the fresh sausage I made.

Here is a picture of how the patty cooked up. He was shocked at how little grease was left in the pan and he made the comment that this should be more healthy than the store bought but what he really missed was it was really as cheap if not cheaper in my view because he was paying for meat and not fillers and additives. I just wish I could sell these hams. I've already been offered some tremendous money for them but its from wild hogs and the food nazis would shut me down if I sold them. But then again, more for me. lol

Sleebus
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by Sleebus » Mon Mar 27, 2017 12:39

I use the breakfast sausage recipe from the meatsandsausages site and it turns out great, but I did modify it to use 1/4 of the Thyme suggested. Same results as above, very little grease.