Just playing around

Talk about anything here as long as it is not against the rules.
Butterbean

Just playing around

Post by Butterbean » Sun Apr 30, 2017 00:58

Wanted to do something different today and wanted to see just how juicy I could make a venison sausage. It then occurred to me that it would be neat if the juices in the sausage tasted like beer.

Not wanting to overpower the beer flavor with a lot of aromatics I thought it best to keep it simple and thought Marianski's Kosher Beef Sausage would be just the ticket with some minor tweaks. Mainly - substituting Amberbock beer for the water.

I ground the meat twice. Once with a 3/8's plate then a 1/4 plate, then stuffed.

Test patty tasted pretty good so I thought I'd make Toad in the Hole.

Served this with brown gravy made with venison stock and peas and carrots cooked in venison stock with green beans sauteed with honey cured pecan smoked lardons with garlic.

Meal turned out great. Something different for sure. Sausage had a unique texture and flavor and I ackomblished my goal of making a very beer-juicy sausage.

fatboyz
Forum Enthusiast
Forum Enthusiast

Post by fatboyz » Sun Apr 30, 2017 01:44

Friends tried a venison Beer Brat. They used a dark beer we get at our local Growler bar. They said it was fantastic. I'm out of brats now so need to try that recipe. Will post it here if it turns out.
What did you put for spices in your beer sausage?
Butterbean

Post by Butterbean » Sun Apr 30, 2017 01:51

Marianski's recipe is pretty simple. It was just salt at 1.8%, black pepper 2% then chopped onion 3%. I substituted the beer for water and also used some cure 1 just for the heck of it.

Its different. I think the alcohol messed with the bind a little but it was good in its own right.