Some people just can't be taught to do anything...

CrankyBuzzard
Passionate
Passionate

Some people just can't be taught to do anything...

Post by CrankyBuzzard » Sun Feb 20, 2011 04:02

Every now and then you run across someone that just can`t be taught anything!

The following story is about an individual that meets that description! :mad:

John was born and raised in Manhattan. When he moved in next door his thought of BBQ was dropping some meat into a crock pot with BBQ sauce dumped over it, and then cooked for 8 or so hours. :shock:

The first time he had BBQ at my place he just HAD to know my "secret". He had never eaten ribs that were almost falling off the bone that had actually been cooked in HEAT and SMOKE without sauce... I informed him that he needed to come to my house the following weekend and I would walk him through the process one on one.

The following Saturday he showed up with cooking tongs, 3 bottles of different flavors of BBQ sauce, and a 12 pack of beer. Since he had beer I overlooked the other stuff. :lol:

We went into the house where I had 4 racks of fresh ribs (full spares untrimmed), and I handed him a printed copy of my workbook.

He started reading the 3-2-1 rib section and immediately started to argue. He told me that he didn't have 6 hours to cook ribs and said that we should just do it like his old neighbor used to; boil them for an hour, smother in sauce and then grill them until they were done.

I remembered the 12-pack of beer, bit my tongue, and said the following;

I asked him if his old neighbor's ribs tasted like mine and had the same tenderness. He said no, looked at me funny, and then went over to his house to let his wife know that he would be at my place most of the day.

When he got back I made him start the fire, prep the ribs, cook the ribs, and then take all of them home to his family when complete.

He pulled the membrane, slathered them up with mustard and rub, put them on the pit, mopped as required, foiled as needed, pulled em out, mopped as required, and then pulled them off the pit when ready! I even told him what was in my mop sauce! My WIFE doesn't even know what all is in my mop! :shock:

Prior to that incident his wife had only acknowledged me a little bit, even when attending a BBQ at our place with other neighbors. The Sunday after he took the ribs home she not only made a point to say hi to me when I was outside, but she thanked me for showing her hubby how to cook! I felt good about that!

Well, here comes the cranky portion of this... This past Sunday he brought over his latest creation from his GRILL, not his smoker but his GRILL, ribs just like the old neighbor used to make... Tough, covered in so much sauce that you couldn't even make out a meat flavor... He was proud, I let him walk away thinking all was well... My wife got a call from HIS wife that same night... She doesn't like his old neighbor`s ribs either!

That boy seems to know it all and is going to make a brisket this weekend using a recipe he found on the web where he only has to cook it for 2.5 hours. The recipe states that he needs to season the brisket, put it in a pan with water 1/2 way up the side of the meat, place it on a grill over hot coals, cover with foil and let BOIL for 2 hours, after boiling, take the meat from the pan, cover in sauce, and then cook for 15 minutes on each side... We WERE invited over for supper... Since I HAVE TO COOK this weekend we declined the invite...

Like I said, I'm a bit disappointed in my protege...

But, on a good note, his wife wants 10 pounds of the ABT sausage for her family reunion next month! BUT, she also wants me to show John how to make sausage, said she'll buy what ever equipment he needs... I'm screwed!

Charlie
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Sun Feb 20, 2011 04:47

I'm afraid I'm responsible for CrankyBuzzard posting this message. I urged him to put it into writing having learned of his experience with a neighbor who I deemed as one of those folks who will never be able to "get it".
Shucks kids, we'll wish his neighbor the best but we'll understand just why he can't make bacon, brisket, or even a danged good sausage.
I would like to thank Cranky Buzzard for sharing this information. He has done it to help other people understand that some folks out there just never seem to understand the process. They will always depend upon the rest of you folks to provide the correct information to make a great product.
I've always said, "some of you are beginners - some of you are professionals - but ALL of you on this site are FRIENDS!
I'm so proud of you I could just - uh.... "squeal"....

Best Wishes to each and every member,
Chuckwagon
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
Darthfrog
Beginner
Beginner

Re: Some people just can't be taught to do anything...

Post by Darthfrog » Fri Feb 25, 2011 05:44

CrankyBuzzard wrote: But, on a good note, his wife wants 10 pounds of the ABT sausage for her family reunion next month!
I was browsing your web site the other day and the pix you have of your ABTs ... well, I was ready to lick the computer monitor! :mrgreen:

Do you, perchance have your recipe for ABTs available anywhere?

--
Cheers,
Rob
I love cooking with wine. Sometimes I even put it in the food.
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Fri Feb 25, 2011 06:27

Hi Darthfrog,

Click on this link for the recipe.
http://wedlinydomowe.pl/en/viewtopic.ph ... sc&start=0

Actually, it is the winner of January`s Sausage Recipe Of The Month Contest.
Find it posted in the "announcements" section under "new contest" by Siara. Our Cranky Buzzard is quite a talented person eh? There are a bunch of great smoke-chefs on this site. Some are more "serious" than others... just depending upon how much hickory smoke they've inhaled over the years. :shock:

P.S.
Cranky Buzzard`s website is a "hoot" or whatever a buzzard utters!
Find it and have a good laugh. http://crankybuzzard.com
Keep up the good work Cranky! Make some ABT sausage Darthfrog & good luck!

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
Blackriver
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Blackriver » Sat Feb 26, 2011 00:11

Here in Wisconsin no one wants to help you learn how to make good BBQ. It is all a secret. I love my ribs with just a good dry rub no sauce.
CrankyBuzzard your neighbor does not know what he is missing. You know what I would give to have someone from Texas and with your experience give me tips on BBQ. What makes us better pitmasters is learning from other people.
CrankyBuzzard
Passionate
Passionate

Re: Some people just can't be taught to do anything...

Post by CrankyBuzzard » Sun Feb 27, 2011 03:01

Darthfrog wrote:
CrankyBuzzard wrote: But, on a good note, his wife wants 10 pounds of the ABT sausage for her family reunion next month!
I was browsing your web site the other day and the pix you have of your ABTs ... well, I was ready to lick the computer monitor! :mrgreen:

Do you, perchance have your recipe for ABTs available anywhere?

--
Cheers,
Rob
If you are talking about the ABTs that are made from jalapenos and then smoked, I can sure assist you!

It's REALLY simple...

For basic ABTs do the following:

Split a jalapeno lengthwise, remove the seeds and membrane, stuff the half with cream cheese, place a little smokie sausage on top of the cream cheese, sprinkle some cayenne pepper on top, wrap it in bacon, put it on the smoker and let them sit at around 225° F until the bacon is done to your liking.

Make a LOT of them, they disappear quickly!

Charlie
CrankyBuzzard
Passionate
Passionate

Post by CrankyBuzzard » Sun Feb 27, 2011 03:04

Blackriver wrote:Here in Wisconsin no one wants to help you learn how to make good BBQ. It is all a secret. I love my ribs with just a good dry rub no sauce.
CrankyBuzzard your neighbor does not know what he is missing. You know what I would give to have someone from Texas and with your experience give me tips on BBQ. What makes us better pitmasters is learning from other people.
I ALWAYS want to help others when it comes to cooking on the smoker. BBQ and/or sausages, if I can help, I will.

I did a BBQ Workbook for just that reason. If you haven't seen it you can find it here.

This workbook is free to all, I just ask that I be given credit if you pass it along.

As always, let me know if I can be of assistance.

Charlie
H_Nutczak

Post by H_Nutczak » Mon Feb 28, 2011 17:47

Blackriver wrote:Here in Wisconsin no one wants to help you learn how to make good BBQ. It is all a secret. I love my ribs with just a good dry rub no sauce.
Blackriver, if you ever get over to the minocqua area, and I'll bring you into the kitchen with me to get everything prepped and into the pit for the day.
Our day will start with prepping 3 cases of spare ribs, hauling them up from the walk-in cooler, peeling membranes, seasoning, and getting them into the pit. That will be followed by getting another 2 cases peeled and seasoned for the night crowd. then we'll get 2-3 cases of butts seasoned and in the pit for the night crowd, when all that is done, we'll get more butts and brisket seasoned so it can be loaded at 10:00 PM so we have meat for the next day.
In my little 12-seat place, we go through 1,800-2,100 pounds of meat weekly. did I mention that there are 18 stairs from the cooler to the main floor? and the kitchen is another 60 feet away from the stairs? and the pit is outside?

I'll even have you help me make my rub in 50 pound batches, I use a 60 qt Hobart mixer for that. I do a pork rub, and my beef rub. If it is a day I feel like offering hot-links, we'll do a 60 pound batch of those too.

Somehow I made BBQ a job instead of it being fun. But I still enjoy it!!
Blackriver
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Blackriver » Wed Mar 02, 2011 02:01

Nutczak, that is very nice of you thank you. I might just take you up on that offer sometime. My wife and I love Minocqua, we used to camp near the Razorback recreational area.
SikaStag
Beginner
Beginner

Post by SikaStag » Wed Mar 02, 2011 18:10

H_Nutczak wrote: Blackriver, if you ever get over to the minocqua area, and I'll bring you into the kitchen with me to get everything prepped and into the pit for the day.
Our day will start with prepping 3 cases of spare ribs, hauling them up from the walk-in cooler, peeling membranes, seasoning, and getting them into the pit. That will be followed by getting another 2 cases peeled and seasoned for the night crowd. then we'll get 2-3 cases of butts seasoned and in the pit for the night crowd, when all that is done, we'll get more butts and brisket seasoned so it can be loaded at 10:00 PM so we have meat for the next day.

Hell I wished I lived near you my friend. I would run up and down them stairs just to sit and eat what you just said you will be making. Very generous offer. Great site I have found here with great men that aint afraid to share. I tip my cap to you all.

Ian
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Fri Mar 18, 2011 03:25

Hi Gang,
Our favorite Big Bird the "Cranky Buzzard" got called away suddenly to Equador on business. He wrote to me an said all is well and that he'll be back in touch with us next week.
Thanks for sharing your BBQ Workbook with us Cranky. We're ready for "installment #2.

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon