Venison Hotdogs

Salmonclubber
Beginner
Beginner

Venison Hotdogs

Post by Salmonclubber » Sun Jan 23, 2011 16:52

I did 10 pounds of venison hotdogs today I used some premixed seasoning from the sausagemaker I was too lazy to mix up a batch from scratch so I used some trail bologna seasoning and stuffed them into 26mm cellulose casing they are a plastic casing that gets removed after they are smoked I smoked these using hickory I mixed 60/40 pork/venison they turned out very nice the casings are easy to use they are just like the collagen casings and after they are smoked and cooled down you cut the link and the casing pulls off the hotdog oh and I had to use string to make the links
Blackriver
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Blackriver » Mon Jan 24, 2011 03:39

Those look really tasty. Nice job!
CrankyBuzzard
Passionate
Passionate

Post by CrankyBuzzard » Mon Jan 24, 2011 20:38

Those sound and look great.

I like the idea of the removable casing as well.

How long did you smoke and at what temp(s)?

Nothing wrong with string, I use some on every batch! The normal twist is nice, but the strings add a little character for me... :wink:

Charlie
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Mon Jan 24, 2011 23:38

Salmonclubber, you've done a first-rate job. And the percentage in your mixture looks good too. Very professional job! congrats.
You wrote:
the casings are easy to use they are just like the collagen casings and after they are smoked and cooled down you cut the link and the casing pulls off the hotdog oh and I had to use string to make the links
It's interesting to note that the cellulose and collagen casing just will not hold a link as you twist sausages. This drove ol' Rytek nuts! He cut lengths of breakfast sausage (cased in collagen) with the dullest KNIFE you ever saw! :lol: Later, a sharpened pair of scissors made the job a snap. Actually in smaller collagen casings, string or twists are not even necessary. As the first sausage comes out of the horn, pinch the end of the casing until an inch or so fill the casing, then squeeze out an entire rope. Simply cut them into lengths with scissors. Unless they are larger sausages, the contents will "stay put" if the consistency doesn't have too much moisture in it to begin with.

Keep up the good work Salmonclubber. It looks like you are a craftsman!
Best wishes, Chuckwagon
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
Salmonclubber
Beginner
Beginner

Post by Salmonclubber » Tue Jan 25, 2011 02:02

CrankyBuzzard wrote:Those sound and look great.

I like the idea of the removable casing as well.

How long did you smoke and at what temp(s)?

Nothing wrong with string, I use some on every batch! The normal twist is nice, but the strings add a little character for me... :wink:

Charlie
Charlie

I smoked these using hickory and I started them at 120 for an hour then I add a pan of chips and smoke for an hour at 120 then I bump it up to 140 for an hour then up to 160 for an hour then I finish them off at 175 until the hotdog temp reached 145 I will cook them before eating
steelchef
Passionate
Passionate

Post by steelchef » Sat Mar 26, 2011 06:22

What a great idea Salmonclubber! Mini bolognas. I mentioned these to my wife and her eyes lit up like a night game at Seahawk Stadium.
So, do you only use one pan of hickory or ....?
Everything in excess! To enjoy the flavor of life, take big bites. Moderation is for monks.
Salmonclubber
Beginner
Beginner

Post by Salmonclubber » Tue Apr 12, 2011 04:21

steelchef

Did not see your post until today I smoked them with one pan of chips but my chip pan is a cake pan and holds about a pound and a half of chips so it smokes for 4-6 hours they are great tasting everyone likes them
steelchef
Passionate
Passionate

Post by steelchef » Tue Apr 12, 2011 05:02

Thanks Salmonman!

It looks like I'll be able to get to my smoker within the next 2 -3 weeks. Have I got some work cut out for me :!: :shock:
Your little bolognas will be at the top of the list.
Everything in excess! To enjoy the flavor of life, take big bites. Moderation is for monks.
DiggingDogFarm

Post by DiggingDogFarm » Fri Oct 21, 2011 04:24

The bummer with deer is that I never end up with much in the way of extra meat for new projects because it's so precious in that the supply is limited and some things take priority over all others....most of the ground meat goes to Swedish meatballs ...venison Swedish meatballs are a tradition in my family.

~Martin
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Sat Oct 22, 2011 01:07

As you drive into town put a chalk mark around the roadkill deer that you see. On the way home pick up the ones that don't have chualk marks around them . That way you know they are fresh. There is no seasonal limit on road kill.
Ross- tightwad home cook
DiggingDogFarm

Post by DiggingDogFarm » Sat Oct 22, 2011 01:38

ssorllih wrote:As you drive into town put a chalk mark around the roadkill deer that you see. On the way home pick up the ones that don't have chualk marks around them . That way you know they are fresh. There is no seasonal limit on road kill.

Believe it or not, I have utilized parts of a couple fresh road killed deer, but they're usually so bruised and busted up that it's WAY too big of a hassle for what little good meat you get out of them.

The corner of the car did just smack the head of a turkey one time......that was EXCELLENT!!! :lol:

~Martin
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Sat Oct 22, 2011 02:20

The best road kill I ever got was a jack rabbit in Oregon during a snow storm. I was on the way out to the Air Station for my midnight shift and I clipped this guy as he tried to cross the road. I pick him up and took him with me and dressed him out at the radio shack and hung the carcase outside where it froze solid. I took it home with me next morning and cooked it. The animal dressed out at about 5 pounds. The cat and i enjoyed it my wife of those years turned her nose up at it.
Ross- tightwad home cook