When to add spice?

ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

When to add spice?

Post by ssorllih » Wed Jan 04, 2012 18:01

A few days ago I perpared meat for a batch of loukanika sausage modified to use venison instead of lamb. Basically this recipe: http://www.wedlinydomowe.com/sausage-recipes/loukanika. With three changes lamb replaced with venison and the orange peel was chopped zest instead of grated and the herbs were substituted with italian seasoning. I mixed all of the seasoning and added them pregrind. and it looked like this: Image The distribution was much more uniform and much easier than mixing post grind. each chunk of meat was lightly coated.
This is the second time I have made this sausage recipe and it is good to my taste.
Ross- tightwad home cook
story28
Passionate
Passionate

Re: When to add spice?

Post by story28 » Wed Jan 04, 2012 22:44

ssorllih wrote:A few days ago I perpared meat for a batch of loukanika sausage modified to use venison instead of lamb. Basically this recipe: http://www.wedlinydomowe.com/sausage-recipes/loukanika. With three changes lamb replaced with venison and the orange peel was chopped zest instead of grated and the herbs were substituted with italian seasoning. I mixed all of the seasoning and added them pregrind. and it looked like this: Image The distribution was much more uniform and much easier than mixing post grind. each chunk of meat was lightly coated.
This is the second time I have made this sausage recipe and it is good to my taste.
This is a technique Thomas Keller uses for some of his ground meat preparations like merguez or meatballs. I have always thought this practice makes good sense since the idea is even flavor distribution.
DLFL
Passionate
Passionate

Post by DLFL » Wed Jan 04, 2012 22:49

That is the way we were taught in the only class on on sausage making we got in school.
Dick

Never quit learning!
Bubba
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Bubba » Thu Jan 05, 2012 00:47

I started with this method when I made my first few sausage batches, then changed to mixing in the spices after grinding.
After a few batches I reverted back to this method (mixing spices before grinding), I also found the spice distribution is very good.

I let the ground mixture nap overnight before stuffing. This method is easier more so if one does not have a meat mixer, the time span of mixing by hand (or hands) in an ice cold ground mixture becomes somewhat painful on the fingers. :grin:
Ron
Keymaster
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Keymaster » Thu Jan 05, 2012 02:02

Food for thought, I always mix with the ground, but will try it this way next time.
crustyo44
Veteran
Veteran

Post by crustyo44 » Thu Jan 05, 2012 03:59

Hi,
Snagmans csabai recipe lists that all the spices are mixed with the meat pieces before mincing and his recipe dates back many years. I have expanded a bit on this and I mix all the spices and the boiled garlic in a food processor for a very short time and than mix it with the meat pieces before keeping it refrigerated for 3 days, afterwards I keep the minced mixture for another 2 days before stuffing.
It works for me.
Regards,
Jan.
Brisbane.