Venison Liver Sausage

fatboyz
Forum Enthusiast
Forum Enthusiast

Venison Liver Sausage

Post by fatboyz » Sat Dec 02, 2017 16:02

Well I'm doing my first try at venison Liverwurst. I got the recipe from a German friend who has a sausage shop here. The meats cooking now. Then into the grinder. More to come!

Title of thread changed by moderator to facilitate easier searching, and recipe copied from another post by fatboyz.

50% belly trim
20% venison liver
30% wild game
salt 15g/kg
cure #1, 2.5 g/kg
Black Pepper 7g/kg
Marjoram 3g/kg
allspice 1 g/kg
nutmeg 1 g/kg
thyme 1 g/kg
sugar 1 g/kg
ginger 3g/kg
1 onion (for a ten pound batch)
1/2 pound bacon (for a ten pound batch)

cube up the deer and belly trim and put in a pot with the onion quartered with enough water to cover. boil until cooked. Drop the whole liver into the water for 2 min to seal the pours. Now grind all the cooked meat and onion plus the liver and onion and the raw bacon through a 1/4" plate. Grind it a second time through a 1/8" plate.mix in all the spices and stuff into beef middles or 65mm fibrous casings. Poach in water for 1 hour. Chill and done, or if desired cold smoke for 2 hours.
Last edited by fatboyz on Sat Dec 09, 2017 15:08, edited 4 times in total.
Butterbean

Post by Butterbean » Sat Dec 02, 2017 17:37

I made some this year using venison and though the recipe was a good one the flavor of the venison liver was just to strong and funky for our tastes. I hope you have better luck than I did but you might want to taste the liver before you invest to much time in it. Good luck and I admire your attempt to use everything.
redzed

Post by redzed » Sat Dec 02, 2017 18:11

Butterbean wrote:I made some this year using venison and though the recipe was a good one the flavor of the venison liver was just to strong and funky for our tastes. I hope you have better luck than I did but you might want to taste the liver before you invest to much time in it. Good luck and I admire your attempt to use everything.
What ratio or percentage of liver did you use? I will be making a white tail deer liver sausage next week and don't want to mess up.
Last edited by redzed on Wed Dec 13, 2017 05:48, edited 2 times in total.
fatboyz
Forum Enthusiast
Forum Enthusiast

Post by fatboyz » Sat Dec 02, 2017 19:36

Well no going back now. Tasting the mix is tasted pretty good. It's poaching right now. Red I used 20% deer liver 50% belly trim (quite fatty) and 30% very lean deer. In total it was 2.25lbs liver, 3 lbs lean venison, and 5 lbs of fatty pork belly trim and a 500g package of cheapo bacon.
Image[/img]
Image[/img]
fatboyz
Forum Enthusiast
Forum Enthusiast

Post by fatboyz » Sat Dec 02, 2017 19:37

After poaching, dry and cold smoke for a couple hours.
redzed

Post by redzed » Sat Dec 02, 2017 21:39

Looks good! Looking forward to pic of cross section and taste report.
Butterbean

Post by Butterbean » Sat Dec 02, 2017 22:07

redzed wrote:
Butterbean wrote:I made some this year using venison and though the recipe was a good one the flavor of the venison liver was just to strong and funky for our tastes. I hope you have better luck than I did but you might want to taste the liver before you invest to much time in it. Good luck and I admire your attempt to use everything.
What ratio or percentage of liver did you use? I will be making a white tail deer liver sausage next week and don't want to mess up.

About the same less the bacon. I think the problem lay in the meat itself. The meat came from a buck that was rank in rut. Though I could tolerate the gaminess in the meat itself but when the liver was added it just sent the flavor past my tolerance.

Looks good Fatboyz!
Last edited by Butterbean on Wed Dec 13, 2017 05:49, edited 1 time in total.
fatboyz
Forum Enthusiast
Forum Enthusiast

Post by fatboyz » Sun Dec 03, 2017 17:03

Well its done and it turned out fantastic. My deer meat and liver was from a 2 yr old buck so not strong or rank. In the picture above of the meat in the lug that was after grinding. it was a bit dry and crumbly. My friend said to make sure to just dip the liver in the pot for a min to seal the pours. I ended up leaving it sitting in the pot while the pot was cooling out in the snow. This made the liver fully cooked. What I did to make my meat block more of a nice paste was I added about 2 1/2 cups of the broth from cooking the meat. I thoroughly mixed this in when I added the spices and I got a consistency that you could almost pipe through a bakers piping bag. The final texture is exactly like his, almost slice-able but still spreadable. My German friends always eat this with fresh bread and raw onions. I used a Ryvita Rye cracker in the photo and the cracker was almost too much. I have two loaves of no knead artisan bread in the oven and I think that will do nicely. All in all I'm very happy with the results. Hope yours turns out great too Chris!
Image[/img]
Butterbean

Post by Butterbean » Sun Dec 03, 2017 22:35

Looks terrific. Glad it turned out good for you.
Bob K

Post by Bob K » Mon Dec 04, 2017 14:28

That Really looks good Ron! Do you prefer the grainy texture or a smoother texture from emulsifying?

Needs spicy brown mustard!! :lol:
fatboyz
Forum Enthusiast
Forum Enthusiast

Post by fatboyz » Fri Dec 08, 2017 14:48

Bob I prefer the more course texture. I'm actually not a fan of liver, or Pate, but this was excellent. My friend's little shop brings in the Thomy mustard from Germany in the tubes like toothpaste. It's great on this.
redzed

Post by redzed » Fri Dec 08, 2017 18:17

That liverwurst does look excellent. I am assembling my ingredients today and will make something very similiar. Have to go into town and get some marjoram and will make it tomorrow. I just hope that the venison liver won't be too dominant.

I noticed that the recipe calls for Cure #2, which really should not be used for products like liver sausage. For the benefit of others who will be using this recipe, I will change the curing salt to #1.
fatboyz
Forum Enthusiast
Forum Enthusiast

Post by fatboyz » Sat Dec 09, 2017 01:52

Red can you explain the reason you wouldn't use cure #2 in this sausage? I'm still unsure of when to use cure 1 and cure 2? His recipe actually calls for pink salt which is what he uses in all smoked sausage. The recipe was fro 17g/kg of pink salt. We thought 15g of salt and 2.5 of cure.
fatboyz
Forum Enthusiast
Forum Enthusiast

Post by fatboyz » Sat Dec 09, 2017 15:00

Well I had to use Mr Google to get the answer. For all my smoked sausage I used to just buy Prague powder from Halfords. It never was labeled 1 or 2 so I'm assuming it's 1 now. They now sell both prague 1 and 2 and I have both now. I guess the easy way to remember which is which is to think of it like body functions! #1 is quick and #2 for when you have to sit down and its going to take a while!! Now that being said if you consumed a whole pile of sausage made with cure #1 you might have to go #2!

On a side note, Chris or Bob please change the recipe above to Cure #1.OK Done
Last edited by fatboyz on Sat Dec 09, 2017 15:26, edited 1 time in total.
Bob K

Post by Bob K » Sat Dec 09, 2017 15:07

Ron - I don't think Chris saw this.
Use cure #2 for anything that will be aged/dried for over 30 days, otherwise use cure #1.
fatboyz wrote: The recipe was fro 17g/kg of pink salt.
That would be 1062.5 PPM well over any allowable limits. They may have meant pink colored salt? Unless it for texture or color or it is smoked cure is not needed

Just a thought but the original recipe could mean European Cure (Peklosol) which only contains 0.60 % of sodium nitrite and 99.40% of salt. That would make sense at 102 PPM