Post Pics of your Smokers!!

JerBear
Passionate
Passionate

Post by JerBear » Thu Sep 22, 2011 16:08

Wow - that's waaaay more impressive than the photos originally suggested. And way more advanced than anything I'm currently planning. Great work!
gurkanyeniceri
Beginner
Beginner

Post by gurkanyeniceri » Fri Sep 23, 2011 07:47

Purchased a Hark (Australian) brand gas smoker. Cold smoking may only be possible with a ProQ I think. I want to sell this one and upgrade to Masterbuilt Electric in the future.

It is working well, It has a large water tray to act as a thermal mass so when you open and close the door, it puts back the heat quickly.
Cheers,

Gurkan Yeniceri
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Fri Sep 23, 2011 09:52

Ouch gurkanyeniceri,
Your photo didn't come through. I'd like to see that Australian smoker.

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
Bubba
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Bubba » Fri Sep 23, 2011 13:58

tacklebox wrote:The smoke generator is an aluminum tube which I machined myself. The generator uses wood pellets as fuel, using a soldering iron (new) for ignition and an aquarium air pump for air.
Hi Tacklebox, the soldering Iron as heat source for the pellets is a brilliant idea, then "blowing" the smoke with an Aquarium air pump.
One idea I was mingling around a while back is using a 55 gallon drum, welding a tubing brace (rolled round) at top and bottom to retain shape, then cutting a large door in to the side.
But your idea is a lot better, top loading. Fantastic looking smoker you have.
Ron
jbk101
Passionate
Passionate

Post by jbk101 » Fri Sep 23, 2011 16:10

Tacklebox,
Care to share your plans for the Cold Smoker part of your smoker? I have gotten a similar designed one off the internet that I am in the process of purchasing some of the parts to make and yours looks similar (but I do notice some Differences) also allot more professionally made and I am curious in the differences between the two plans.
The one that I will be making utilizes a 3 inch diameter Schedule 40 thick wall aluminum tubing, Fence Post caps for the capping the top and bottom of the tube etc.
Any help in steering me in the right direction would be appreciated,
John
gurkanyeniceri
Beginner
Beginner

Post by gurkanyeniceri » Sat Sep 24, 2011 02:27

Here is the picture again

Cheers,

Gurkan Yeniceri
Maz
User
User

Post by Maz » Sat Sep 24, 2011 12:29

Nice picture of a frog in an ice cube.If you guys in the US of A post pictures and use Imageshack :evil: Myself and other folks around the world cannot view them, some dumb decision made by Imageshack . :cry:
gurkanyeniceri
Beginner
Beginner

Post by gurkanyeniceri » Mon Sep 26, 2011 03:22

I am in Australia and can see the picture.

Maz, would there be a proxy or a gateway between you and the internet world? Most companies restrict access to social sharing and caring websites! :roll:
Cheers,

Gurkan Yeniceri
Maz
User
User

Post by Maz » Mon Sep 26, 2011 17:27

I have Googled it, strange thing is I do not have the same prolem if it has been uploaded from the UK. As a matter of fact I have used it to upload all my own stuff. There is no problem with the stuff uploaded with Photobucket or any of the others. :roll:
DLFL
Passionate
Passionate

Post by DLFL » Sat Oct 08, 2011 03:45

I used the Concrete Block Smoker plans with one change. Instead of using a lintel I turned a block on its side. As you can see on the bottom row below.

Inside I placed a half block to get smoke out of two different places. You can see the off set blocks for support edges.

I slanted the dirt path down to the fire pit between the tunnel blocks.

Wish me luck and I hope I will use this enough to make it a permanent structure.

Dick
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Sat Oct 08, 2011 04:18

Hi Dick, It sure looks like it will do the job. What are you going to use for the top? Will you have an adjustable damper? What kind of wood do you cowboys burn down there in Florida? Just a tip if I may... please remember to use only UN-treated wood to burn and UN-treated dowels if you choose wood smokesticks. Some of the stuff they treat wood with these days is pretty scary! :shock: Good luck Dick, I'm sure it will be just fine.

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
DLFL
Passionate
Passionate

Post by DLFL » Sat Oct 08, 2011 14:39

Chuckwagon, for now I will use a piece of plywood and rock or smokesticks for the venting.

Martin, that looks like a great project. Good luck.

Dick
JerBear
Passionate
Passionate

Post by JerBear » Sat Oct 08, 2011 20:08

Leaving for my Uncle's now to begin work on my smoker. Pics to come later tonight.
JerBear
Passionate
Passionate

Post by JerBear » Sun Oct 09, 2011 01:37

The first picture is of the shipping crate in original condition. It was used to ship glass but has seen better days. The door was too worn to be used so we'll be installing a new hinged door.

This picture is the smoker with about 14" ripped from the front and re-framed. It was just too deep to be useable so it's final internal size is going to be about 26" deep x 24" wide x 4' tall.

Next week we hang the door, cut holes for duct and likely finish the project but we'll still need to purchase a couple thermometers and install it at it's final resting place.
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Sun Oct 09, 2011 03:14

That's a terrific idea Jer. All sorts of possibilities. Have you got some good pards helpin' you? What will you use for a heat source and container? Or will we have to wait to see. Good luck pal.

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon