Dishwasher Smoker

fagesbp
Beginner
Beginner

Dishwasher Smoker

Post by fagesbp » Sun Jan 27, 2013 16:24

At Thanksgiving I was spending the week at the in-laws house so of course I was looking to get out of the house and do something. I was just walking around their yard and found an old dishwasher behind a shed. It was obviously junk so I found myself a dolly and drug it over where I could work on it. I stripped it down to just the steel tub and started experimenting on how I could make it hold heat and smoke.

Here it is stripped down. They also had some old metal shelving that became the door. I tried it screwed directly to the tub but it was very flimsy.

I also made this venturi type smoke generator but didn't like the thick smoke it produced so i scrapped that idea as well.

Once I got it home I framed it up.

I used this stainless steel finned strip heater for a heat source. You can also see the fireplace sealing rope I used for a door seal.

I stuffed it with insulation and drilled holes for vents and wires. Then closed it all up with plywood.

I got a PID temp controller so that I can set it to whatever I need. Here I was experimenting with it to see how it works. I had the temp probe inside the light for a heat source and it worked fine. On when the temp was to low and off when it was at temp.

For the first smoke I didn't quite have everything wrapped up but need to smoke some summer sausages for Christmas gifts so this is how it looked.

I put this mailbox on the side over a couple vents for smoke intake so I could cold smoke easily. I just put the smoke generator in the mailbox and it feeds the smoker. I also got the temp controller mounted.

Then i built this cart for it and mounted that up.

And finally I enclosed the bottom and I have a cabinet to keep supplies as well as a table to work on on the side. Also a pic of the amazen pellet smoker I use in the mailbox for smoke.

And bonus smoking views for making it this far in :-P
redzed

Post by redzed » Sun Jan 27, 2013 16:33

You are brilliantly resourceful! Well done!
CrankyBuzzard
Passionate
Passionate

Post by CrankyBuzzard » Sun Jan 27, 2013 17:30

That is a very cool smoker and a great way to do it!

Charlie
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Sun Jan 27, 2013 20:05

There is no fault to be found with that piece of work. Very well done.
Ross- tightwad home cook
el Ducko
Veteran
Veteran

Post by el Ducko » Mon Jan 28, 2013 02:05

Beautiful post, beautiful smoker... most helpful. Inspiring. (Gush.)

The braided seal was what made me wonder if it was an oven. Now that we know that it's a dishwasher, I'm wondering if, after the smoking is done, there's an ice water rinse cycle to cool things down!

Great piece of work.
:mrgreen:
Experience - the ability to instantly recognize a mistake when you make it again.
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Mon Jan 28, 2013 03:18

Hey Eyechart! (fagesbp),
I think your smoker is a work of art. It's.... uh... uh... well, it's "innovative"! It's beautiful. I really like how you've designed the cart too. The expanded metal shelves also give it a classy touch. Nice work pal.

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D