Smoker help

LOUSANTELLO
Forum Enthusiast
Forum Enthusiast

Post by LOUSANTELLO » Mon Dec 31, 2018 21:36

That`s why I`m thinking a heat coul with an outboard controller. Am I covered?
redzed

Post by redzed » Mon Dec 31, 2018 22:05

Maybe. Will the smoker operate, that is heat, without pellets? And what is the sticker price on it?

Although I have a couple of Bradleys with the cold smoke attachment, I rarely use them. I have the Cabela's ProSmoker 100, which is no longer sold by them but it is actually the PK100 https://www.psseasoning.com/products/pr ... del-pk-100
I don't use the pan with chips for smoke but mostly the Amazen tube. For cold smoking I use the Smokai smoke genrator mounted to the side of the unit. The Pro100 keeps very good temps at 60-225.

One thing that you should note that venturi style smoke gerators produce tar and if you use them on a regular basis will coat the inside of your smoker with it. They also gum up and need to be cleaned on a regular basis.
G pop
Beginner
Beginner

Post by G pop » Tue Jan 01, 2019 01:44

I have a smoke`n it #4 they are well insulated if you live in a cold climate , an Auber,
Amazin tube and 5x8 that can also be used with sawdust ( i make my own from the
pellets ) this way I have smoke all the time and control the temp. I believe the Mod 4
uses a 1800 watt element. Ive had it I think 4 years with no issues.

HTH Paul
LOUSANTELLO
Forum Enthusiast
Forum Enthusiast

Post by LOUSANTELLO » Tue Jan 01, 2019 02:34

Im liking that pk100. They are 1.5 hoirs from me. I will call them on wednesday
sawhorseray
Veteran
Veteran

Post by sawhorseray » Tue Jan 01, 2019 10:10

The PK100 is a great way to go. I've had one for many years, like Redzed mine was sold by Cabelas and made by PS Seasonings. I smoke mostly bacon, sausage, and hams tho the Pro 100 has the capability to act as a great roasting devise also. By flipping a switch the unit runs from 110 volts to 240, running temps at 200*-250*, great for pulled pork, standing rib roasts, turkey, pork ribs, etc. I keep mine housed in my garage and the sturdy caster wheels make it easy to move around. I believe the unit weighs right around 200lbs. and leaving it sit outside in the elements is not recommended. The smoker holds temperatures really well, to a +/- 2* and does a superior job smoking sausage. I've never had a single problem with the smoker in the 7-8 years I've owned it and I recommend it highly. RAY
“Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment.”
LOUSANTELLO
Forum Enthusiast
Forum Enthusiast

Post by LOUSANTELLO » Wed Jan 02, 2019 16:36

Update: I called Jeff at PS and he was very helpful on the phone. He did point out not to expect the unit to get much higher than 225F which I think I am fine with. I may consider modifying it for an outboard pellet and definitely an outboard cold smoker like a Big Kahuna. Jeff thought it would be a great all around modification to do anything I was looking for. He's 100 miles from me and I'm taking a ride this morning. I already emptied the minivan knowing I am most likely not coming home empty handed :) Has anybody used any of his premixed seasonings? Just curious.
LOUSANTELLO
Forum Enthusiast
Forum Enthusiast

Post by LOUSANTELLO » Fri Jan 04, 2019 02:15

I`m going to cold smoke some lox on saturday. As ling as I am under 65F, does it matter whether it`s 45f or 60f? How long do you suggest just for a mild smoke?
redzed

Post by redzed » Fri Jan 04, 2019 04:49

I have never used any of the PS seasonings but over the years members posted here saying that they were good. I'm curious as how you are going to cold smoke the salmon? Did you get the Smoke Daddy already? You can cold smoke at the temps you mentioned, but keep in mind that the colder it is the slower the smoke penetration into the fish. Ilike to cold smoke my salmon at around 65 and try not to go over 70. I would go for 6-8hours for starters.

But if you smoke the salmon it will no loner be "lox" as the latter is only cured.
LOUSANTELLO
Forum Enthusiast
Forum Enthusiast

Post by LOUSANTELLO » Fri Jan 04, 2019 05:21

Nova is cured then cold smoked. I bought the pk-100 already and ordered an A-Maze-N. It will be here Saturday. I smoked some ribs today and they turned out way too smokey for me. Im debating how much smoke I really want to give this salmon. I did not use any of the PS mixes
LOUSANTELLO
Forum Enthusiast
Forum Enthusiast

Post by LOUSANTELLO » Fri Jan 04, 2019 05:33

I guess they still call it "lox". Nova Lox: This lox, which comes from Nova Scotia, is actually cold-smoked after the curing or brining process.
Gravlax: Gravlax is the Scandinavian preparation of lox, where lots of fresh dill and spices such as juniper berries and pepper, as well as some liquor such as aquavit or brandy, are additional ingredients used during the curing process.
redzed

Post by redzed » Fri Jan 04, 2019 07:38

The Amazen tube will raise the temp in your smoker by several degrees, so you have to keep an eye on it. And also remember to preheat your smoker even when you are cold smoking. Heat it to at least 160, let it cool off and then cold smoke. If you don't do this anything you smoke may have a sour chemical taste.
LOUSANTELLO
Forum Enthusiast
Forum Enthusiast

Post by LOUSANTELLO » Fri Jan 04, 2019 15:02

Is the cold smoking at that point strictly for flavor? I assume the curing is already done in the refrigerator? No need for weight loss? Suggested storage and shelf life?
Bob K

Post by Bob K » Fri Jan 04, 2019 15:46

Cold smoking is mainly for flavor but some drying will occur, treat it the same way you would without smoking as far as storage.
LOUSANTELLO wrote: I smoked some ribs today and they turned out way too smokey for me.
The smoker pans almost always provide way too much smoke. You will soon discover that all you need is a wisp of white smoke. The Amazin will make a huge difference. You also need not add smoke the whole time you are cooking.
LOUSANTELLO
Forum Enthusiast
Forum Enthusiast

Post by LOUSANTELLO » Fri Jan 04, 2019 16:18

Going for the maze. I heard they are great. For 29.00, it`s certainly worth a shot before spending more for an outboard unit and drilling stainless steel
G pop
Beginner
Beginner

Post by G pop » Fri Jan 04, 2019 16:33

I agree with Redzed about the creosote with the smoke generators the one I bought
has no motor . The Amazen 5x8 trey using sawdust is cooler than the tube. I smoke
my bacon two times for about 10 hrs with a day or more rest in between following
Marianskis` metheod and is not over powering with smoke. If I was to change anything
I would do the mailbox conversion which still uses the 5x8" trey .

Paul