New Smoker Build Questions

65valiantwin
Beginner
Beginner

New Smoker Build Questions

Post by 65valiantwin » Mon Dec 02, 2019 21:54

Hi guys/girls,

I'm just starting a new smoker build, I'm using a proofing cabinet similar to this one as a base

https://www.cookstore.ca/omcan-35-pan-c ... gI4iPD_BwE

I'm hoping its perfect for my needs as i needed something bigger than my masterbuilt, also, this will hold temps up to 180F and maintain humidity where I'd like. I'll be generating smoke with an Amazen Tube smoker 12" (just placing it in bottom once lit) . I'll only be using this smoker for snack sticks, jerky, kielbasa,etc. My questions are as follows:

1) Insulation (i'd like to insulate this for cold days. I am thinking of wrapping it in Rockwool Comfortboard 80 and using plywood to sheet it in. Any feedback or better suggestions?

2) Venting - was thinking a simple 4" diameter piece of Pipe at top with damper, where do I place it? Center? Also, do I need any venting at bottom to allow cool air in?

Obviously I want to avoid any hotspots wherever possible, so any tips you all have would be much appreciated!

Thanks in advance.
DanMcG
Frequent User
Frequent User

Re: New Smoker Build Questions

Post by DanMcG » Tue Dec 03, 2019 09:26

What will be your heat source, and do you plan on using the the circulator fan that in the unit?
I have the same setup but had to put the project on hold due to the cost of repair parts.
65valiantwin
Beginner
Beginner

Post by 65valiantwin » Tue Dec 03, 2019 20:55

Yes, i planned on using the heat source and fan inside the unit as I don't have a need to get hotter than 170F or so
redzed

Post by redzed » Thu Dec 05, 2019 19:33

Yes you do need a fresh air intake on the bottom of the smoker. The Amazen tube has to be placed close to it or else it will not burn. The intake is also necessary to create a draft allowing the smoke to exit. The proofers were designed to operate at indoor temperature so you will definitely need to insulate it for use outdoors. Even then I'm not sure how the built in heating element will perform in freezing temperatures. But it just might. Let us know how it works out and post some pics of the finished project.
65valiantwin
Beginner
Beginner

Post by 65valiantwin » Fri Dec 06, 2019 16:13

redzed wrote:
Thu Dec 05, 2019 19:33
Yes you do need a fresh air intake on the bottom of the smoker. The Amazen tube has to be placed close to it or else it will not burn. The intake is also necessary to create a draft allowing the smoke to exit. The proofers were designed to operate at indoor temperature so you will definitely need to insulate it for use outdoors. Even then I'm not sure how the built in heating element will perform in freezing temperatures. But it just might. Let us know how it works out and post some pics of the finished project.
Thanks Zed, I plan on finishing it up this weekend and will post some pics!
DanMcG
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by DanMcG » Sun Dec 08, 2019 10:40

redzed wrote:
Thu Dec 05, 2019 19:33
Let us know how it works out and post some pics of the finished project.
I'd like to see how it works out for ya too.