Cure cabinet advice

Keymaster
Passionate
Passionate

Cure cabinet advice

Post by Keymaster » Sun Dec 18, 2011 23:32

I must first say what a great forum. I have been reading the forum for about 4 hours today and it has answered a lot of questions. I have been making smoked type sausages for a couple years now and really enjoy that but its time to step up to fermented salami.
I really want to know if I need to cut a hole in my Snapple cooler and put a vent in it or just open the door once or twice a day. Here is some work I did yesterday and feel free to help me on my journey by telling me "That wont work".
I spent about five hours working on my dry cure cabinet today. Started out by giving the entire inside a wash down of Bleach and water and scrubbing it clean. Then I Installed some accessories starting with a little power and a Temperature control for the Heater.

Got the boxes and conduit installed

Got all the wiring ran and looking for my sausage stuffer

Inside receptacles still need a weatherproof cover. The extension cord that plugs into the outside runs off a GFCI.

Heater and humidifier in cabinet for looks, just waiting on a fan and Humidity/temp monitor from Amazon.

Worked until dark outside and have a lot more to do but thought I would share this much

After working monday, I will have 13 days off so let the Meat stuffing Begin ;D
$9 worth of SS hooks on the top shelf for hangin you know what ;)
Devo
Forum Enthusiast
Forum Enthusiast

Post by Devo » Mon Dec 19, 2011 00:03

Hi buddy :mrgreen:
Welcome to a great forum. The more info we collect the better I say. Hey folks keymaster is one hell of a good guy and knows his sh*t that's for sure. I have learned a lot of good info from his posts from a forum that we both belong to. He is always willing to help out. Just check out his dry cure cabinet, he does things top notch.
Later bud
Devo
Keymaster
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Keymaster » Mon Dec 19, 2011 00:54

Devo wrote:Hi buddy :mrgreen:
Welcome to a great forum. The more info we collect the better I say. Hey folks keymaster is one hell of a good guy and knows his sh*t that's for sure. I have learned a lot of good info from his posts from a forum that we both belong to. He is always willing to help out. Just check out his dry cure cabinet, he does things top notch.
Later bud
Devo
Thanks for the warm Welcome and vote of confidence Devo, Can't wait to ferment some salami!!!
uwanna61
Passionate
Passionate

Post by uwanna61 » Mon Dec 19, 2011 01:49

Keymaster
I wouldn`t worry about a vent or cutting a hole in the cabinet. If the cabinet door has a good seal I would just crack it open once in a while. You might want to install a fan inside, in the future for minimal air flow. Nice job your work looks like a neat and clean setup.

Wally
Keymaster
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Keymaster » Mon Dec 19, 2011 12:16

Thanks Wally, I really dont want to cut holes in my cabinet but in the same token I dont want slimy salami. I will see how this first batch of Genoa goes and adjust from there.
nepas
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by nepas » Fri Jan 06, 2012 04:11

Aaron

Thats a great build. I gotta get busy with mine.

NePaSmoker
KCBS Member
MAK Grill #48
Retired
http://bluesmokeandbbq.blogspot.com/
Keymaster
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Keymaster » Fri Jan 06, 2012 13:28

What are you going to make first Rick? I hang a dark Blanket over the front of my glass door so minimal light gets in and hold it on top with two bricks.
Dave Zac
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Dave Zac » Fri Jan 06, 2012 16:14

I love the glass door look! You can sit for hours and watch your project progress.

Where are you guys scoring these cabinets?

Dave
Keymaster
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Keymaster » Fri Jan 06, 2012 18:47

I purchased mine off of craigslist. Search for merchandiser, coke cooler, pepsi cooler, beverageair, true cooler etc. I got mine for $50 and put $20 into it for the refrigeration to function but did the work myself. Its so cold in my garage I dont even have the cooler part plugged in.
nepas
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by nepas » Fri Jan 06, 2012 20:19

Keymaster wrote:I purchased mine off of craigslist. Search for merchandiser, coke cooler, pepsi cooler, beverageair, true cooler etc. I got mine for $50 and put $20 into it for the refrigeration to function but did the work myself. Its so cold in my garage I dont even have the cooler part plugged in.
Yeah got mine there to.

LOL Aaron

So cold in your garage. Im just so scared to drill holes in the side of mine, Guess i need to try to find a drawing on where wires and lines are located

Dave

You really dont want light to get thru the glass. My wife is going to make me a black felt glass cover for mine.
NePaSmoker
KCBS Member
MAK Grill #48
Retired
http://bluesmokeandbbq.blogspot.com/
jbk101
Passionate
Passionate

Post by jbk101 » Fri Jan 06, 2012 20:54

You could also get some window tint from a local hardware store fairly cheaply
John
Dutch
Beginner
Beginner

Post by Dutch » Tue Jan 24, 2012 19:49

Keymaster-that is a sweet setup. I like how clean all the electrical components look.

My question for you is- where did you find the electical cover that has the opening that an extention cord plugs into? The folks a Lowes and Homer's Depot look at me like I'm from a different planet when I describe your set up for the extention cord. May have to break out the Grainer catalogue.

And can you tell me how your ran your probe into the box? A pic or two would be nice. :grin:

Thanks~

Dutch
I thought I had a handle on life until one day the handle fell off.
†
Keymaster
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Keymaster » Tue Jan 24, 2012 21:25

Go to grainger.com and type in this part # 3d189. I will get some pics when I get off work. The flanged inlet was an old one I had laying around.

Aaron
Keymaster
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Keymaster » Wed Jan 25, 2012 01:37

Dutch wrote:And can you tell me how your ran your probe into the box? A pic or two would be nice.
I drilled a 1/2" hole

Then I purchased these hole plugs at Schucks/Oreilly auto parts

Then I drilled a hole in the center just a hair bigger than the probe wire and sliced one side with a razor knife

Then you can either stuff the foam you drilled out back in the hole or use fiberglass insulation or by a can of expanding foam

Are you building a dry cure cabinet? Thanks for the nice compliments!!!

Aaron
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Wed Jan 25, 2012 08:35

Hey Keymaster, right off hand I'd say you know your way around a tool kit eh?
Our "resident expert" is Uwanna in Vermont. Wally can make fermented sausage in the dark without the use of a flashlight! Heck, I'd trust this kayak paddlin' expert with 50 pounds of my best poached venison! He makes my fermented sausage look like I just began grindin' and stuffin'! Shucks pard, I'd even lend him my horse (for 12 hours)!
Seriously, it sounds like Aaron and Wally are the "go to" dudes for chambers! Keep up the good work fellows! I think you're amazin'.

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D