My Concept of a curing chamber - Where I am at now.

markjass
Passionate
Passionate

Post by markjass » Sat Jul 06, 2013 13:14

My curing chamber is up and running. At the moment I am calibrting it. It cost a bit more than I planned. I am so glad that I bought a lot of the components on ebay, tradeMe and from sources in Germany and the USA (I could not get them in NZ or may have been able to at a megga cost). I cut the holes in the fridge, wall and celing for the power source.The electrician (3 hrs work) enjoyed the job as he had not done anything like it before and he was challenged (he was no snail). The easy part was putting a new socket in the wall and finding a power source. Bless him he also sorted the upside down plug in the kitchen (he noticed it) and has told me which plugs in the house are connected to a circit breaker.

Far right is the humidity and temperature control device (because I want to lower the temperature the fridge is plugged in). Next is the fan, then the power source for the control unit (I will give it a while before I change the us plug to a NZ plug. next is the heater pad (Just pluged in to keep it off the floor). It will only be during the winter (ambient temperature is lower than 12 degrees) and when I want to ferment things (temperature 20+ degrees) that the heater will be needed. The fan is only needed when the heater mode is on because when the fridge is on its fan runs.

All I need to do is drill one more hole in the fridge for the control unit's probe (thi grey wire that runs from the controler).

Why the extra power source? Well I have a lack of plugs in the garage.

The lower picture show a fan. It has a dimmer contro, a humidity producer and a heat pad (usually used to keep pets snug. The wire running down the door into the shelf is the controler probe. I will hook that up. The pump bottle is incedential. It is all I had at hand to act as the resivour store. If I want the humidifer to last I will need to use distilled water.
The maxium amount of water that the resivor is to hold is 500 mls. After 24 hours not much has been used. I went with this rather than with the aquarium heater because of the cost of electricity and because I did not want a large container of water in the bottom of the fridge.

My last job is to sort out some racks to hang things from. I will have to think about that.
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Sun Jul 07, 2013 02:29

I'm jealous! Wow. :mrgreen: That is a nice set up. You'll have fermented sausage coming out of your ears in no time at all.

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D