meat cabinet

jjnurk
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by jjnurk » Wed Oct 24, 2018 13:41

Not sure if this belong to this topic..... I just recieved and installed controllers for my curing chamber and everything seems to be working pretty good. I would like to start with a coppa and some soppressata. But being that I haven't used the chamber for anything yet, do I need to do some prep work to the inside? Disinfect / just wash with soap-water, spray with starter mold / something else or just leave as is and start filling with meat?
JjNUrK
SMR
User
User

Post by SMR » Wed Oct 24, 2018 14:32

Soap-water cant hurt. You don't need to spray the chamber with mold. If you are using the Mold 600, apply that to the casings by either soaking them prior to stuffing or spraying them afterwards. As long as your temperature and humidity controls are working, you should be good to go.
redzed

Post by redzed » Wed Oct 24, 2018 17:25

It probably would be good idea to give it a good wipe with a bit of chlorine, or better yet Oxyclean, to get rid of any nasties in there if you are starting off with a used unit. I use a 10% sulphite solution, spray and wipe off. I always have it on hand for wine making.

I think I may have to look at converting another all fridge or all freezer soon as I suspect that I have a slow refrigerant leak in mine. Really too bad since I have only been running it for 2 years. The one I had before was an old all fridge and it ran perfectly for 5 years but I got rid of it for aesthetic reasons since it was metal on the inside and rust took over.
fordtruckbeast
User
User

Re:

Post by fordtruckbeast » Sat Mar 26, 2022 12:51

redzed wrote:
Wed Oct 24, 2018 17:25
It probably would be good idea to give it a good wipe with a bit of chlorine, or better yet Oxyclean, to get rid of any nasties in there if you are starting off with a used unit. I use a 10% sulphite solution, spray and wipe off. I always have it on hand for wine making.

I think I may have to look at converting another all fridge or all freezer soon as I suspect that I have a slow refrigerant leak in mine. Really too bad since I have only been running it for 2 years. The one I had before was an old all fridge and it ran perfectly for 5 years but I got rid of it for aesthetic reasons since it was metal on the inside and rust took over.
How did you know you had a refrigerant leak? İ just purchased a brand new frost free 1 handle fridge and when i open the door i get a plastic/gassy smell... İ wonder if this is like a leak as well or its just the smell of plastic when the fridge isnt used/on.... Do you think baking soda/water mix would work?