Does anyone have a good recipe for Lardo??

king kabanos
Frequent User
Frequent User

Does anyone have a good recipe for Lardo??

Post by king kabanos » Mon Nov 09, 2015 18:02

Hello everyone i bought some great fat back from a local farmer raising mangalista pigs. i want to make some lardo does anyone have any good recipes? Also have umai bags that i will be using and have no curing chamber
crustyo44
Veteran
Veteran

Post by crustyo44 » Tue Nov 10, 2015 08:20

I've never made Lardo with UMAi bags but you will find plenty of good and well tested recipes on the net. Just follow instructions to the letter and you will be OK.
Do remember that you will have minimal weight loss. Just vacuum the lard pieces in UMAi bags and cover them in an elastic styretch netting for good contact.
Cheers,
Jan.
redzed

Post by redzed » Tue Nov 10, 2015 13:59

You are lucky to get the mangalitsa backfat, probably the best for lardo. While I have done a few things in the umai material, Lardo is not one of them, but it's probably worth a try. I have some notes on a couple of good spice combinations for lardo and will post them when I get home. Currently travelling.
redzed
redzed

Post by redzed » Tue Nov 24, 2015 06:42

I made lardo once using this recipe, but it was nothing to write home about, or here since the quality of the fat was lousy, but I did find uses for it such as melting it and frying an egg in it. Mangalitsa is the best, so yours should be primo!

Lardo is not hung and cured like other salumi, so you don't need a curing chamber or Danish plastic bags. All you need is a refrigerator. The Italians cure their lardo in a brine in a marble container. But you can also achieve good results with a dry cure and in tupperware or glass container. Just make sure it's sealed tightly and covered in black plastic so that light does not get in. Fat will become rancid if exposed to light. Prepare a mixture of the ingredients below. Rub into the lardo, seal cotainer and place in fridge for six months. Another option is to vaccuum seal. After six months take out, brush most of the salt and aromatics off, slice thinly and enjoy.
Sea salt, 3%
Cure #2, 2.5% (optional)
Rosemary, 1%
Black pepper, .5%
Juniper berries, .5%
Garlic powder, 1%
Bay leaves, .25%