Home Production of Quality Meats and Sausages

Maxell

Post by Maxell » Wed Oct 27, 2010 18:29

Pod ten adres proszę przesyłać zdjęcia i teksty. Zdjęcia muszą posiadać szerokość co najmniej 800 pikseli - wysokość nie jest istotna - ważne by były dobrej jakości.
maxell11@wp.pl
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Thu Oct 28, 2010 08:28

Hi Sausage makers...

In my opinion, this book is now the most complete and finest resource in our sausage-making world today! What a job Stan and Adam have done. This is the Bible of sausagemaking friends. Very well written, it is two inches thick with 29 chapters and two appendix additions with valuable resource information & tables. It is also jam packed with great recipes!
If you only own one sausage-making book, this is THE one to purchase! Congratulations Stan & Adam. Your clearly written instructions will probably introduce many beginners to the world of sausagemaking - beginners who otherwise might have become frustrated. What a valuable addition to anyone's library! Check it out at www.bookmagic.com
Best Wishes, Chuckwagon
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
Seminole

Post by Seminole » Thu Oct 28, 2010 20:14

Home Production of Quality Meats and Sausages was written in response to many emails that were sent by our readers. They were technical questions about nitrates, hams, drying meat and more. The majority of American books about making sausages are cookbooks which are loaded with recipes but the actual process making of meat products is limited to fresh sausages and hot smoked sausages. The majority of these books are written by cooks and journalists whose experience is based on cooking meals. This is why one can find sausage recipes with bananas, apples, and oranges but in our opinion such a product hardly makes an original sausage.

We have tried to include topics that were not touched before such as low salt sausages, Kosher sausages, dry meats and dry hams. When all of the chapters were added we ended up with a 700 page long book that may as well be called the handbook for making meat products and sausages. We will post some original or unusual recipes, or any information which may be valuable to the reader on the forum.

Seminole

http://bookmagic.com/books/home-product ... s-sausages
Seminole

Pemmican

Post by Seminole » Fri Oct 29, 2010 13:48

Pemmican is a wonderful snack bar which is easy to make, lasts almost indefinitely, and has a very high nutritional value. It is pure energy, as simple as that. The American Indians have invented pemmican and traded this product with English Bay Hudson traders in Canada. The traders insisted that pemmican would be delivered in 100 pound (45 kg) buffalo-hide bags which were called parfleches. Then pemmican was chopped off with an ax into smaller pieces.

1. Pemmican is a dried meat, for example jerky, which is finely shredded. You could pulverize it in a food processor.
2. Then ground or finely chopped berries were mixed with the pulverized meat. The mixture was placed in a bag.
3. Beef fat (suet) was melted and poured over the mixture of meat and berries.
4. When pemmican hardened it lasted for a long time.

Indians used buffalo fat or bone marrow as pigs were not common yet. The first 13 pigs were brought in 1539 to Florida by Hernando de Soto aboard a Spanish ship. Making pemmican with pork fat is not the best idea as pork fat melts at a lower temperature than beef or buffalo fat.

The reason that pemmican is such a great snack bar is that it made of:

50% meat (protein)
50% fat (calories)
Berries and dried fruits (Vitamin C and others)
It keeps very well at room temperature

So next time you go hiking make yourself some pemmican.

Pemmican recipe: http://www.wedlinydomowe.com/hams-other ... can-recipe
franknap
Beginner
Beginner

Post by franknap » Sat Mar 12, 2011 05:37

i'm going to try and find this book. Thanks!
Frank Napoli

Keeping old traditions alive!
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Sat Mar 12, 2011 05:50

Frank,

Simpy go to:
http://bookmagic.com/books/home-product ... s-sausages

You can even preview the book if you'd like to. Or you can win a signed copy by entering the monthly sausage-making contest!

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
Blackriver
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Blackriver » Sun Mar 13, 2011 04:31

I have read several sausage making books, and none of them come close to Home Production of Quality Meats and Sausages! I also own The Art of making Fermented Sausages and it is just as good! I am now able to use new techniques to make me a better sausage maker. Thanks Stanley and Adam!!
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Tue Mar 15, 2011 15:00

I just ordered this book from Amazon.com. With shipping only 21.42 USD. Now I will be able to drive everyone mad with a new menu item.
Ross- tightwad home cook
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Wed Mar 16, 2011 01:56

Ross,
I'm warning ya... you won't be able to put it down once you start reading. Plan ahead and tell your wife you'll be "busy" for a few days while you soak it all in.
Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon