First grind

eightysixCJ
User
User

First grind

Post by eightysixCJ » Mon Mar 19, 2012 02:40

Hello all,

Finally getting started. Made about 10-pounds of various fresh Italian sausage in hog casing. Lots of fun mixing, tasting, stuffing, and eating!

Today, Italian sausage with sage, cheese, fresh garlic and parsley, and white wine.

With lentils and fried potatoes.

Tom
Butterbean

Post by Butterbean » Mon Mar 19, 2012 04:23

Those look great. And with a helper like you have the sky is the limit on what ya'll can do together.
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Mon Mar 19, 2012 05:17

That's exciting Tom! Good to see you get started with this great hobby. What a terrific way to spend time with your son. It's cool how he just seems to be taking to it like a duck to water! He sure is a great lookin' little guy. What is him name? How old?
What's on the list for your next project gentlemen? Keep grindin' and smilin'!

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
eightysixCJ
User
User

Post by eightysixCJ » Mon Mar 19, 2012 15:15

Chuckwagon wrote:That's exciting Tom! Good to see you get started with this great hobby. What a terrific way to spend time with your son. It's cool how he just seems to be taking to it like a duck to water! He sure is a great lookin' little guy. What is him name? How old?
What's on the list for your next project gentlemen? Keep grindin' and smilin'!

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
Thanks. That's Michael, he and his brother Anthony are six. Michael is always ready to pitch in. He couldn't wait to get started and with every delivery he needed a detailed explanation why "we could not make sausage yet?" Of course he is not shy about eating it either. ;)

Tom
Oxide
User
User

Post by Oxide » Mon Mar 19, 2012 17:41

Congrats on that first grind. Makes me hungry looking at it. :smile:

I like that grinder, too. With that little fellow helping you'll want to be aware of all ten of his fingers at all times while you are grinding. Those little fingers can fit into the holes of larger mincing plates -- and the knife is just on the other side. And I would be inclined to have him use that pusher stick for anything he feeds into the grinder. Unfortunately, the safety features built into grinders don't always work to protect little people like they do for us adults.
--------
eightysixCJ
User
User

Post by eightysixCJ » Mon Mar 19, 2012 20:57

Oxide wrote:Congrats on that first grind. Makes me hungry looking at it. :smile:

I like that grinder, too. With that little fellow helping you'll want to be aware of all ten of his fingers at all times while you are grinding. Those little fingers can fit into the holes of larger mincing plates -- and the knife is just on the other side. And I would be inclined to have him use that pusher stick for anything he feeds into the grinder. Unfortunately, the safety features built into grinders don't always work to protect little people like they do for us adults.
Your right about the grinder. We spent quite a while going over all the parts inside and out and he has a clear idea that to the grinder he is just more sausage meat. I thought about giving him something to push with but was afraid he might drop it into the auger. I completely missed using the stomper as a pusher. Will do that next time.

Thanks.

Tom
crustyo44
Veteran
Veteran

Post by crustyo44 » Mon Mar 19, 2012 21:19

Hi Tom,
It's good see that you have a little helper. Start them early and answer all their questions.
We need young blood, especially in home food production.
As small as they are, they soon wake up to the fact that what is produced is far superior to the store bought crap.
Congratulations my friend.
Best Regards,
Jan.
two_MN_kids
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by two_MN_kids » Mon Mar 19, 2012 21:22

Hey Tom,

I love seeing the family involved. Two of our three boys still work with us frequently, and it's a great family time. The youngest, at 30, is coming over this weekend to grind up the last bag of venison trim; and maybe we'll do a batch of sausage or two.

Great looking boy, and certainly a hard worker!

Jim
DLFL
Passionate
Passionate

Post by DLFL » Mon Mar 19, 2012 22:10

What a good start and great helper!
Dick

Never quit learning!
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Tue Mar 20, 2012 02:19

I always taught my kids and my grand kids where the dangers were and how to stay safe. Too many people simply tell the kids to stay away because "that" is dangerous.
My daughter in law wouldn't allow candles around her kids but in my house I showed those two girls where the danger was and where it was safe. There is a vast difference between fear and respect for that which can harm you.
Ross- tightwad home cook
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Tue Mar 20, 2012 04:25

Hey, hey 86CJ,
I took a second look at your links cooking in the pan. Are you sure you're a "beginner"? Those things look better than my local butcher "Sasquatch" puts out on display in his cold case! Great lookin' work. What type of stuffer are you using? Oh, yes... one more thing - never stop cooking with garlic! SheeYuks pal, here in the mountains, we hunt down with vengeance, the folks who refuse to cook with garlic - then we give the guilty mutts a fair trial before we run 'em outta town! :roll: Keep up the good work.

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
vagreys
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by vagreys » Tue Mar 20, 2012 18:48

eightysixCJ wrote:...I completely missed using the stomper as a pusher. Will do that next time...
I'm just curious - and this is a serious question - how DID you use the stomper or what did you think it was for? I ask because it might be worth updating the handout for my introduction to sausage making workshop to address this, and not just the safety rundown.

Fine sausages, there, Tom.
- tom

Don't tell me the odds.
eightysixCJ
User
User

Post by eightysixCJ » Wed Mar 21, 2012 03:45

Chuckwagon wrote:Hey, hey 86CJ,
I took a second look at your links cooking in the pan. Are you sure you're a "beginner"? Those things look better than my local butcher "Sasquatch" puts out on display in his cold case! Great lookin' work. What type of stuffer are you using? Oh, yes... one more thing - never stop cooking with garlic! SheeYuks pal, here in the mountains, we hunt down with vengeance, the folks who refuse to cook with garlic - then we give the guilty mutts a fair trial before we run 'em outta town! :roll: Keep up the good work.

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
Thank you very much! I figured I should start with something I had an idea what it should taste like. I think I got lucky it looked good too, perhaps Michael deserves the credit there, he took the lead on mixing and running the stuffer. :)

Can't avoid garlic here, growing up garlic, water, and vino were staples...

Tom
eightysixCJ
User
User

Post by eightysixCJ » Wed Mar 21, 2012 04:15

vagreys wrote:
eightysixCJ wrote:...I completely missed using the stomper as a pusher. Will do that next time...
I'm just curious - and this is a serious question - how DID you use the stomper or what did you think it was for? I ask because it might be worth updating the handout for my introduction to sausage making workshop to address this, and not just the safety rundown.

Fine sausages, there, Tom.
Hi Tom,

The stomper just happened to be in the grinder and I put it aside once we got to work and did not use it. I think it is for pushing meat into the auger (for a second grind) if the grinder auger needs help getting the meat moving) based on what I read and learned so far. I did think of giving my son something to push the meat to the opening but a spoon etc. could be dropped into the auger, unlike the stomper.

I spent quite awhile with my son taking apart the business end of the grinder, going over how everything works and how the various parts could hurt him (the rest of the family or anyone else). We put it all together and I put him on a low stool so he could not reach into the tray opening without jumping, and he just grabbed pieces and dropped them in. Considering young minds and tiny fingers this is another hobby requiring extra discussion and awareness but similar to having youngsters around a farm, woodshop, or afield pursuing fish and game, it does (should) make you think more and be closer to the kids and their world. Another benefit.

Tom