Online Workshop: Project B (August 2012)

el Ducko
Veteran
Veteran

Post by el Ducko » Sat Aug 25, 2012 14:03

Chuckwagon wrote:Shucks Duck, You`re all as welcome as rain. The only problem is... I`d want to adopt ya`all. :mrgreen: Hmmm... friends eh? Have you got any named "Bambi" or "Kandi" or "Cuddles"?
Why...... yes. Funny that you know them too. We met at the International Rogaine Expo in Toronto last year. You remember- - the one that they held right after Canada's Conservative Party was turned out in a motion of non confidence by the mail order pharmaceutical industry. → :wink: ←

In a gesture of inter-species friendship, they were wearing bunny ears and tails. ...dunno about you but, for me, it was ♥love♥ at first quack.
Experience - the ability to instantly recognize a mistake when you make it again.
el Ducko
Veteran
Veteran

Post by el Ducko » Sat Aug 25, 2012 14:16

Seems like many a pâté is sold in jars or ceramic crocks.

I think we need to "play the game" and stuff the mettwurst as recommended, but I have a garage full (well, okay, maybe a couple) of jars that I may pack part of my mettwurst in (stuff?). I suspect that we'll make much more mettwurst than Beloved Spouse and I will eat, so :idea: after I test it first, I plan to share it with friends. :grin:

...any problems or special considerations for using jars or crockery instead of casing?
With an impermeable container like that, will it be possible to extend shelf life via some canning trick or other? :mrgreen:
Experience - the ability to instantly recognize a mistake when you make it again.
circlecross
Beginner
Beginner

This is a test

Post by circlecross » Sat Aug 25, 2012 15:53

Trying to determine why I do not receive notice of new posts.
Sausage King of Love County!
Jarhead
User
User

Re: This is a test

Post by Jarhead » Sat Aug 25, 2012 15:57

circlecross wrote:Trying to determine why I do not receive notice of new posts.
Lower right across from "Post A Reply". Click on "Watch This Topic".
Email address correct in your Profile?
Check Spam Folder?
"Gunny"
FEC-100, 22" & 18" WSM, MB Gasser, UDS, A-Maze-N Tube Smoker
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Sat Aug 25, 2012 16:03

el Ducko wrote:Seems like many a pâté is sold in jars or ceramic crocks.

I think we need to "play the game" and stuff the mettwurst as recommended, but I have a garage full (well, okay, maybe a couple) of jars that I may pack part of my mettwurst in (stuff?). I suspect that we'll make much more mettwurst than Beloved Spouse and I will eat, so :idea: after I test it first, I plan to share it with friends. :grin:

...any problems or special considerations for using jars or crockery instead of casing?
With an impermeable container like that, will it be possible to extend shelf life via some canning trick or other? :mrgreen:
I see one major problem with trying to home can mettwurst that is that we would cook it. If we could pack it into jars and seal them ,then irradiate them to distroy the spoilage bacteria maybe that would work. Do you have a gamma source laying around waiting for a good use?
Ross- tightwad home cook
circlecross
Beginner
Beginner

Post by circlecross » Sat Aug 25, 2012 16:16

Thanks, Gunny!
Sausage King of Love County!
Jarhead
User
User

Post by Jarhead » Sat Aug 25, 2012 16:49

Cabonaia wrote:
Jarhead wrote:1 hank of 22-24 "C" Tubed Sheep Casing for $28.95
I looked at the site, but it seems you have to buy a whole bucket of hanks to get that price. Am I getting it wrong?
He called yesterday and told me the price of sheep are through the roof. The price has gone up since I posted. It's now $39.00 per hank. He said he would ship Priority Mail for about $6.00 for how many will fit in one of those small boxes.
If you are interest in ordering, he requests that we send him an email through the contact us link. You need to provide Name, Rank and Serial Number. errr...I mean Name, What you want and Phone Number. :grin:
Spice Line
"Gunny"
Gulyás
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Gulyás » Sat Aug 25, 2012 17:01

Well, I don't have sheep casing, but I do have an old style 4 gallon crock, plus 1 10 liter, and a 15 liter Harsch fermenting crock.....he...he.
Failure to prepare is preparing to fail.
crustyo44
Veteran
Veteran

Post by crustyo44 » Sat Aug 25, 2012 20:07

Hi,
Believe it or not but sheep casings are hard to get in Australia as well and also expensive.
I bought some from a butcher that sells them by the kilo. $ 40.00 per kg. I bought one hank for
$ 31.90 all salted and vacuum packed. only size available 24/26
Beggars can't be choosers. Everything here is now collagen.
Regards,
Jan.
el Ducko
Veteran
Veteran

Post by el Ducko » Sat Aug 25, 2012 20:26

Congrats, CW, on an excellent post. All the bacteria mumbo-jumbo usually goes over my head, but you finally caught my attention with it, and with the follow-on business about working the mince. This latest post in "Project B" brought home two important things that I have been lax about doing- - keeping everything cold at every opportunity, and developing the primary bind. I had been hiding behind the excuse that adding vinegar destroyed the primary bind, so why bother. That's not an excuse any longer.

Even if I retain nothing else from this series, you just doubled the quality of my sausage making. But there's a whole lot more to come, and you've got my attention now.

I'm sure I'm not alone in saying thanks, my friend. This "Project B" business is the best thing since sliced beer. ...or is it, canned bread? Hmmm...
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Sat Aug 25, 2012 20:41

When you consider the labor involved in preparing intestines for casings it is easy to understand the cost. I wonder if the intestines of a single animal are sufficient to case all of the meat from that animal that would be made into sausage products.
Ross- tightwad home cook
Jarhead
User
User

Post by Jarhead » Sat Aug 25, 2012 20:51

CW, are we ready yet? Huh? Huh? Are we ready yet? Huh? (In my best PITA voice)
My grinder is rustin' and your still tryin' to get that Chevy to run. I knew you should have used a Boss 302. :lol:

Last edited by Jarhead on Sun Aug 26, 2012 08:15, edited 1 time in total.
"Gunny"
el Ducko
Veteran
Veteran

Post by el Ducko » Sun Aug 26, 2012 00:45

ssorllih wrote:...I wonder if the intestines of a single animal are sufficient to case all of the meat from that animal that would be made into sausage products.
Hey...! :idea: Good idea! :idea: We could just shave 'em, turn 'em inside out, hose 'em off, pummel 'em a bit, and save ourselves a whole lot of trouble grinding.
Yes, meat science marches on, here at... uh... (What's the name of this planet, again?) :mrgreen:
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Sun Aug 26, 2012 02:17

crustyo44 wrote:Hi,
Believe it or not but sheep casings are hard to get in Australia as well and also expensive.
I bought some from a butcher that sells them by the kilo. $ 40.00 per kg. I bought one hank for
$ 31.90 all salted and vacuum packed. only size available 24/26
Beggars can't be choosers. Everything here is now collagen.
Regards,
Jan.
Opportunity for a cottage industry here?
Ross- tightwad home cook
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Sun Aug 26, 2012 03:05

A question of academic interest. Mettwurst is a fermented, spreadable sausage that is ground , mixed, and stuffed into casing and fermented and then smoked. In our modern kitchens we have stainless steel and glass that can be used to contain our mince. Is it reasonable to consider mincing the meat, mixing the spice and culture and fermenting in a closed stainless steel or glass container and then stuffing and smoking?
Argument against: it is non traditional and has not been proven. We have a method that we know works.
Argument for: It is much easier to control temperature and moisture loss in a closed container. also the size of the link will not affect the fermentation of the mass.
Ross- tightwad home cook