Online Workshop: Project B (August 2012)

el Ducko
Veteran
Veteran

It works!

Post by el Ducko » Sun Sep 02, 2012 03:41

The Russ-N-Ross RamRod" with new 3/8" stuffer tube and insert, lower right
The "business end" of the new 3/8" tube, and the sheep casings that caused the whole thing.
A close-up of the new stuffer tube, loaded with 19 mm sheep casing (and a few air bubbles).
First product!
Experience - the ability to instantly recognize a mistake when you make it again.
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Sun Sep 02, 2012 03:49

Masterful!!!
Ross- tightwad home cook
el Ducko
Veteran
Veteran

Post by el Ducko » Sun Sep 02, 2012 03:51

See "Project B Photo Section" for shots of my new 3/8" OD stuffer tube. This works a whole lot better than those big ol' original equipment plastic stuffer tubes that came with my grinder and my horn stuffer.

I made a 3/8" OD stuffer tube out of copper tubing and a swage fitting, screwed into my 2" PVC "Russ-N-Ross Ramrod" (caulking gun) stuffer. I had stuffed regular-size hog casing with the #1 recipe breakfast sausage. I Stripped the old casing and re-used the breakfast sausage to stuff 19 mm sheep casing.

This time, there was only one blowout, and it was because I damaged the casing while loading. I do find that you have to keep the casing dripping wet while stuffing, or else it will hang up and tear. Otherwise, it stuffed without problem. [comment on lubrication deleted by Duck. Don't never even THINK about lubrication. NawSuh!] :mrgreen:
Last edited by el Ducko on Sun Sep 02, 2012 04:10, edited 1 time in total.
Experience - the ability to instantly recognize a mistake when you make it again.
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Sun Sep 02, 2012 03:51

Yikes Duck,
That's pretty innovative!
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Sun Sep 02, 2012 04:06

Maybe there's some sort of coating that I can apply. (Several people have advised against lubricating with pork fat.) ...maybe mineral oil or silicone oil?
Hey ol' pal, I would seriously advise you against using anything but water to lubricate casings on a stuffing horn. Anything with an organic base will affect how your sausage fries up. The casing will harden as the oil, butter, fat, or anything of that nature, will really affect the texture of the casing when cooked.
Okay El Ducko... repeat after me.... Waaaa Terrrr! Wa Ter.... Water! :mrgreen:

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
el Ducko
Veteran
Veteran

Post by el Ducko » Sun Sep 02, 2012 04:08

Gotcha. I'll edit my post to remove any suggestion of it. Thanks for the good advice. :mrgreen:
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Sun Sep 02, 2012 04:16

el Ducko wrote:Gotcha. I'll edit my post to remove any suggestion of it. Thanks for the good advice. :mrgreen:
K-Y jelly?
Ross- tightwad home cook
el Ducko
Veteran
Veteran

Post by el Ducko » Sun Sep 02, 2012 04:23

:grin:
Ya know, it may be that there was some residual organic stuff on the outside of the copper tubing from the fabrication/shipping./handling process. I think I'll clean it with MEK or acetone (both nice and high vapor pressure and water soluble solvents, so they'll not leave a residue). Chuckwagon has a good point about lubrication or lack thereof. The cleaner this thing is, the better. :mrgreen:
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Sun Sep 02, 2012 04:37

K-Y jelly?
Image Image Image
grasshopper
Passionate
Passionate

Post by grasshopper » Sun Sep 02, 2012 16:39

This has to do with the temporary fix for the sheep casings 1/2 tube.
I watch the video on how to upload pictures. Starting to think I am brain dead. The size is large and I sized them down. Help!
Jarhead
User
User

Post by Jarhead » Sun Sep 02, 2012 16:50

grasshopper wrote:I watch the video on how to upload pictures. Starting to think I am brain dead. The size is large and I sized them down. Help!
I never thought about doing it that way. Great job.
I flared the end and stuck it through the smallest tube.
If you go into photo bucket and do the below, it will resize your pics automatically.
I have the Power Toolz from Microsoft, so I resize BEFORE I upload. It's quicker.
HTH.
Have a great weekend.

"Gunny"
FEC-100, 22" & 18" WSM, MB Gasser, UDS, A-Maze-N Tube Smoker
grasshopper
Passionate
Passionate

Post by grasshopper » Sun Sep 02, 2012 20:41

Thanks Jarhead for the info. I have never stuffed a sausage before. Made a lot of patties with different recipes. I chose for the first time to use Marianski's chaurice recipe. That way I can use it my gumbo and hide my first attempt in the gumbo. It sure took a lot of parsley 60-gram.I really didn't know how big a person could stuff the sheep casing, before blowout happens. Second attempt looks normal to me.?
crustyo44
Veteran
Veteran

Post by crustyo44 » Sun Sep 02, 2012 21:55

Hi Members,
I finally made the breakfast sausage, the test patties were very nice and moorish this morning on some sourdough toast.
I must admit that I tweeked the spices a bit, I made 2 kg of sausages and doubled the cayenne pepper and added a heaped teaspoon of onion powder. The sage looked a lot to me but the flavour was great. I will definitely make them again but in 5 kg lots so I fill the stuffer tube to the top.
I had no hassles with fitting the 22/24 sheep casings on the smaller tube that came with the stuffer. The size is 14 mm or approx 9/16"
I did oil the tube and keep a lttle bit wof ater is the casing.
Regards,
Jan.
Jarhead
User
User

Post by Jarhead » Sun Sep 02, 2012 22:04

Finally got #1 done. And will be doing #2 and 5 later today.
I did an 4x the recipe, cause after a taste, a friend wanted it all. Not NO, but hell NO, ya cain't have it all. :shock:
So he settled for 7 pounds.

The complete pics are over on the Class Picture Thread

CW, this is one of the best tasting sausages that I have ever eaten. I followed the recipe to a "T", only I did 4 times the amount.
You Da Man, CW. :wink:
Thanks for your hard work and putting this class on.
Last edited by Jarhead on Tue Sep 04, 2012 04:01, edited 1 time in total.
"Gunny"
Jarhead
User
User

Post by Jarhead » Sun Sep 02, 2012 22:30

Be forewarned, UPS did not deliver my package with casings, etc on Friday. :evil:
All I had was leftover bulk packs from last deer season. Hey, it works. :oops:
A friend came over and had a taste test with me when he picked up 2 pork butts. He wanted it all!!! BS, I want some of it.
I bought a case (72.3#) of pork butts (1/4" trim). He wanted 2 for Pulled Pork and another friend wants 25# of Boudin. So I ground up the other 4 butts. Now the fun begins.

Measured out the spices for 8 times the recipe.

WOW, that looks like a lot of water. :shock:

In the mixer. I don't like mixing less than 10 or 12 pounds, but I got Project 2 and 3 to do later.

Got a nice tackiness to it, time to sample.

I'm hungry and that one little patty ain't gonna git it.
So I made me a sandwich. Egg, Smoked Cheddar, Fresh Sausage and Wheat Toast. Oh yeah, some Hellman's on it too.

Show Me da Money.

Northern Tool 8# Horizontal held it all.

UPS and the Sausage Man didn't come through for me Friday. Won't be until Tuesday. :twisted: So I had to use what I had on hand. I ain't sheep or collagen. :oops: But it works for me.

Thanks for lookin' and Good Luck.

CW, this is one of the best tasting sausages that I have ever eaten. I followed the recipe to a "T", only I did 8 times the amount.
You Da Man, CW. :wink:
Thanks for your hard work and putting this class on.
"Gunny"