Online Workshop: Project B (August 2012)

Jarhead
User
User

Post by Jarhead » Wed Aug 22, 2012 22:19

Jim, I have the tube smoker. It will generate heat. If you don't ask, I won't tell you about my 25 pounds of cheese.
The trays, both dust and pellets, work well and don't generate much heat. My next purchase. :smile:
I'll keep an eye out for your cabinet build. Good luck.
"Gunny"
FEC-100, 22" & 18" WSM, MB Gasser, UDS, A-Maze-N Tube Smoker
Gulyás
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Gulyás » Wed Aug 22, 2012 23:03

I had some aluminum rods, I made my own pucks.
If you get a piece of pipe, about the same diameter as the bisquettes, cut them to length, they work just fine. They don't have to be solid.
Failure to prepare is preparing to fail.
two_MN_kids
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by two_MN_kids » Thu Aug 23, 2012 00:18

Gulyás wrote:I had some aluminum rods, I made my own pucks.
If you get a piece of pipe, about the same diameter as the bisquettes, cut them to length, they work just fine. They don't have to be solid.
Thanks, but already have them. Before I retired, I was a journeyman mold maker; sister career to Tool and Die. I don't waste any pucks, but they sure are pricy!

Jim
el Ducko
Veteran
Veteran

Post by el Ducko » Thu Aug 23, 2012 00:36

two_MN_kids wrote:I don't waste any pucks, but they sure are pricy!
Jim
Now ya got me scared. Do you have to use pucks, or could you just pack the thing full of sawdust or shavings or such?

Obviously I don't own one or I'd have tried it already. ...but I was considering buying one until this 'pricey' business came up. Maybe as a sub-hobby we should start a puck-producing group. If nothing else, picking the name (carefully) would be fun. :mrgreen:
Experience - the ability to instantly recognize a mistake when you make it again.
two_MN_kids
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by two_MN_kids » Thu Aug 23, 2012 03:03

el Ducko wrote: Now ya got me scared. Do you have to use pucks, or could you just pack the thing full of sawdust or shavings or such?
I do like the option of filling the feed tube with pucks, if the need arises for a 10 hour smoke. It automatically indexes a new puck every twenty minutes. The last two pucks are not burned as they were used to push one last puck onto the burning element. Therefore the reason for having aluminum pucks as the last into the tube. No wasted pucks.

I purchase them by the case of 120 Bisquettes, and try to find them on sale. Last three i found were $40/120.

I tried to place a chunk of Hickory on the element, but it didn't burn very efficiently. That's why I'm thinking about the Amaz'n smoker. Just remove the water pan (used to extinguish the spent pucks) and not use the pucks. There may be a considerable savings!

Here's hoping!
Jim
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Thu Aug 23, 2012 03:29

I has gots more time than money so I just burn wood and monitor it. The wood is free.
Ross- tightwad home cook
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Thu Aug 23, 2012 07:12

Ready to continue? Please notice that I have added some details in the very first two posts of this project including a spice list for (ordering) all the recipes we'll make here. Also, I've posted the first few recipes of the first type of sausage we'll study. These are the "fresh" type sausage. The material was posted on the first page so you can easily refer back to it throughout the project. If you've forgotten some details, simply refer back to page one.

Because this is a project with various discussions, I'm going to ease up on "splitting topics" quite a bit. Unless one topic really disrupts the continuity of the discussion, I won't "split" it. However, please remember to post long, unrelated material elsewhere on the WD forum. Thanks folks, you are the best! I'm looking forward to our discussions and questions.

NEXT UP: "Selecting Meat"
1. Okay gang, let's move on to "meat selection". Please click on this link and read what Stan Marianski has to say: http://www.wedlinydomowe.com/sausage-ma ... -selection

Then please read the following:

2. Meanwhile... Back At The Ranch... (Points To Ponder) :wink:
"Speakin The Lingo" by Chuckwagon

Americans eat a tremendous amount of beef annually. In fact, if we lined up all the cattle Americans consume in merely one year, the line would encircle the earth 125 times! Yet, the fact remains; the bovine is one of the most inefficient animals on our planet, considering the expense of the amount of grain it requires to simply produce a pound of beef. So, why do we continue to support such an uneconomical menu item? The answer is simple... flavor! In the history of our wild-west, I suppose rustled or stolen beef always tasted better than the domestic stuff! However, if you intend to take up the life of a cattle-rustlin` outlaw , "swingin` a wide loop"; if you just can't help becoming the west`s next rustler, you'd better learn how to "speak the lingo" and develop a little knowledge regarding cattle and the basics of beef.

A cow is a female of the genus "Bos" from the Bovine family Bovidae, and there is a dynamic herd of about one and one third billion worldwide! A young cow, more than one year of age, is called a heifer until she gives birth to a calf in about nine months becoming a"fresh" cow with a ten-month milk supply, later becoming a "dry" cow. A bull is the reproductive male and a steer is a neutered male.

During the late 1700's, cross-breeders in England developed "polled" (born without horns) cows, and in the American west, the traditional Texas Longhorn was slowly replaced by English Hereford and Aberdeen Angus breeds. Ranchers found the Hereford to be a sturdy animal, able to survive extremely cold western winters. The once-popular Texas Longhorn not only grew more slowly than the English breeds, it was a leaner animal as well. Accordingly, by the 1920`s, the Longhorn had all but vanished from the range, as the marbled meat of the Angus became the preferred cut for the grill. However, at maturity, the Angus, like the Longhorn, was found to be slightly smaller than other breeds and ranchers began to crossbreed other cattle with it to produce larger offspring. Today, the meat of the Angus is very much in demand, but in the intermountain west, the Hereford, with it's red body and white face, chest, flanks, and lower legs, is the cattleman's favorite, being able to survive extreme weather and having more tolerance than other breeds.

Why did rustlers prefer cattle? The animal is easier to manage than hogs and sheep, making it the rustler's choice. The bovine is simply a tediously dull animal, lacking ordinary quickness and keenness of mind, and used to provide meat. Your horse Thunderbolt, will respond to its name - your cow Bossy, will not. That's alright buckaroos... quite often I don't even respond to my own name!

The Three Basic Grades Of Beef

The Meat Inspection Division of the United States Department of Agriculture grades beef quality by estimating the age of the animal, the amount of fat marbling (determined by looking at the rib eye at the 12th rib), and by the texture, color, and appearance of the rib eye. U.S.D.A. "quality grading" is optional and according to the National Cattleman's Beef Association only about 2% of all the beef carcasses produced in this country, submitted for grading, are quality-graded as "Prime".

-Prime beef cuts are generally the most tender, flavorful, and delicious steaks and roasts and contain less meat due to a higher fat content (marbling). This grade is the most expensive beef and usually only found in meat markets - as opposed to supermarkets. Unless you butcher your own, the best cuts of beef will come from meat markets supplying restaurants and are always Prime or Choice cuts of meat.

-Choice beef is juicy and tender, producing excellent steaks and roasts. About 44% of the beef submitted for quality grading is "Choice" grade, (the next grade down from Prime), and is usually available to and selected by, shoppers in retail markets. There is nothing wrong with cuts of this grade and they will save careful shoppers money.

-Select beef is generally the most popular grade of beef containing the "average cuts" needing tenderizing occasionally. They are mostly used for grilling or in slow-cooking recipes. Usually marinated, these cuts are found in the supermarket and save the consumer even more money than by purchasing choice grade.

When beef is purchased in vacuum packages, it appears dark reddish-purple. When the package is opened, exposure to oxygen causes the meat to turn bright red, and after a few days, the surface will change to brown. Other grades of beef, sometimes found in supermarkets, are referred to as:

-Standard
-Natural,
-Commercial
-Utility
-Non-Graded

These are usually tough cuts and require a little talent to "render tender", but that's not to say they can't be made into very tasty meals. There is no clearly cut definition of these categories and some care should be exercised when making selections. Many people don`t realize that the very best cuts of beef are not available in supermarkets, as they are sold only to restaurants and retailers. Fine restaurants often utilize a process called "aging", a term used to describe the holding of various meats at a temperature of 34 to 36 degrees F. (1 to 2 degrees C.) for a specified period of time while tough connective tissues break down through the action of enzymes, increasing tenderness. Often, mold will develop upon a carcass (a sure sign of aging), and will simply be washed away with vinegar or cut away before the tenderized meat lying beneath, is cut, cooked, and served. And what about cuts from older steers? Quite often they end up in discount stores.

Pigs And Hogs

One billion hogs live throughout the world and about half are in China, the world's leading producer having forty different breeds. Of these, the United States has only eight commonly raised breeds including the American Landrace, Berkshire, Chester White, Duroc, Hampshire, Poland China, Spotted, and Yorkshire - all developed in this country with the exceptions of the Berkshire and Yorkshire, imported from England during the 1800's.

Piglets weigh only about 2-1/2 pounds at birth but double their weight in a week. Fully-grown males (boars) weigh more than five hundred pounds, and sows (females) more than four hundred and fifty. A young female that has not yet had piglets, is called a "gilt", and a young, castrated male is known as a "barrow". Giving birth to piglets is called "farrowing". The time period from conception to birth is 3 months, 3 weeks, and 3 days, and most sows deliver 2 litters per year, each having seven to twelve piglets.

Today, hogs grow faster on less feed, produce more lean meat and less fat than those raised in the past, and actually consume about twenty percent of the corn grown in the United States. Hog producers, listening to consumers' preferences and concerns, have dramatically changed pork since the 1980s. America's fitness trend and a more health-concerned generation have simply demanded it. Of prime importance, improved breeding and feeding practices have all but eradicated trichinella spiralis in pork! As producers continued to upgrade the quality of pork, they have also consistently reduced the animal's fat content by nearly forty - five per cent. The most popular selection of pork, the tenderloin, is now a whopping 42% lower in fat. Pork chops today, are a colossal sixty percent leaner than those just thirty years ago. Today's lean pork means it plays a vital part in a healthy diet as it contains many nutrients including six essential vitamins, four important minerals, protein, and energy. Our old perception of pork is changing as consumers are beginning to realize it is a most desirable lean meat.

Although the elimination of trichinae in pork is one of the most significant improvements in the industry, not everyone is happy with the reduced fat content of the animal. Since pork fat is the secret of its flavor, traditional sausage makers are disgruntled with modern lean pork as there is simply less fat available. Most sausage makers these days must scramble to find "fat back" - the creamy, flavorful addition necessary in amounts of about 1/4 the total volume of any good sausage. Many experienced fermented-sausage crafters claim the days of authentic salami flavor are now gone, while any ol` timer will tell you how the savor and essence of the meat itself has been reduced. Pork is not "aged" as is beef, and it must be cut and wrapped within 24 hours of slaughter for best results.

Unlike beef, having three primary cuts along it's back, the hog has but one - the loin. The fore-end of the loin is called the "shoulder cut" or "shoulder chops", while the center cut has "rib chops". The south end of the loin on a northbound pig contains the tenderloin and the "sirloin chops". Shoulder cuts have a lot of fat and connective tissue and are good for roasting or braising but not especially pan-frying. Center cuts have two types of connective muscle while loin chops have one.

Self Checkup :cool:
1. Before Project "B", did you realize that considering the expense of the amount of grain it requires to simply produce a pound of beef, the bovine is one of the most inefficient animals on our planet?
2. Why is "prime beef" not found in supermarkets and grocery stores?
3. What is a neutered bull called?
4. A young cow, more than one year of age, is called a heifer. What is a "fresh" cow? How long will she continue to give milk? What is she called when she ceases to produce milk ?
5. Why was the Texas Longhorn phased out? What breed of steer does most of our beef come from today? Why?
6. The quality of beef is determined by what? Is "choice" beef available in supermarkets?
7. What happens during "aging"?
8. Why is "select" beef usually slow cooked or grilled? Is this a good choice of meat for sausage?
9. When beef is purchased in vacuum packages, it appears dark reddish-purple. When the package is opened, exposure to oxygen causes the meat to turn what color? What color will it be after a few days?
10. Since the 1980`s, the fat content in pork has been reduce about how much? Why are sausage makers generally not at all happy about this reduction?
11. Beef has three primary cuts along it's back. The hog has but one. What is it called? What is pork shoulder also known as?

Answers: (1.) ? (2.) It is kept for restaurants (3.) Steer (4.) One that has given birth - has an eleven month milk supply after which she becomes a "dry" cow (5.) Not economically produced (too lean) - Hereford and Angus (6.) Marbeling - yes (7.) Connective tissues break down through the action of enzymes, increasing tenderness (8.) Needs tenderizing or marinating - yes (9.) bright red - brown (10.) nearly 45% - less fat means less flavor (11.) the loin - shoulder is called Boston Butt

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
Last edited by Chuckwagon on Mon Oct 21, 2013 03:52, edited 3 times in total.
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
Gulyás
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Gulyás » Thu Aug 23, 2012 12:46

Yes sir. Excellent article. 5 star !!!!!!

Things sure changed, a lot. Life is a continuous change. My parents told me, once they had a 400 kg. pig, mangalica (=mangalitsa, the lard pig). http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mangalitsa....
Pork shoulder butt, or Boston butt I guess is a dialect. But it isn't a scam, such as Kobe beef in the good ol' USA. Like $ 40 NYC "Kobe"-burger...... $- 100 Faux-be strip..... :grin:

Because our government lets the con artist (hmmmm vendors), of our time call anything for anything. :shock:
Lately, specially around deer-hunting time, it's hard to get good back fat.
NorthFork
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by NorthFork » Thu Aug 23, 2012 12:57

CW- Great start!

A quick question. In your original posting on products for "Project B" you listed T-SPX Bactoferm Culture and in your recent product list you have F-LC Culture listed-will we need both of these as we go on or just the F-LC for our project?

Thanks

Northfork,
I am sorry for the misprint. If you've already ordered F-LC, don't worry. We'll use it. :wink: Our first choice for this particular Mettwurst recipe is T-SPX because it is a little slower in producing fermention and results in more flavor. However, the speed of fermentation is determined by the temperature and although FLC is much faster, it also provides added listeria protection. (F-LC produces the bacteriocins Lactobacillus Curvatus and Pediococcus Acidilactici which suppress the growth of Listeria Monocytogenes - the bacteria responsible for causing the disease listeria. To bolster the flavor and color, it also contains Staphylococcus xylosus).
Stan Marianski has written the instructions for T-SPX. If you have already ordered F-LC ...no problem. We`ll simply adjust the temperature and a few other "fine touches". Both cultures are top-notch! ~CW~
Last edited by NorthFork on Wed Aug 29, 2012 05:24, edited 3 times in total.
Gulyás
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Gulyás » Thu Aug 23, 2012 13:07

I just checked the link I put in earlier, it doesn't work, here is a new one....http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mangalitsa
Gulyás
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Gulyás » Thu Aug 23, 2012 16:44

C.W....After while please delete/clean up what doesn't belong here.

Just want to let You know, that my new grinder is still in a cardboard box, yes in many pieces......but I'll assemble it sometime. I'm good at assembling.......When I was about 5 years old, I took my fathers only pocket watch apart, after I was all done putting it back together, I still had 82 parts left.....I mean I could make 4 watches out all those parts....Why waste ?.... :grin: :shock:
el Ducko
Veteran
Veteran

Post by el Ducko » Thu Aug 23, 2012 17:44

Gulyás wrote:... after I was all done putting it back together, I still had 82 parts left.....I mean I could make 4 watches out all those parts....Why waste ?
You will certainly win the "Most Efficient" award for "Project B."

Best health tip, however, goes to CW:
Chuckwagon wrote:1. Before Project "B", did you realize that considering the expense of the amount of grain it requires to simply produce a pound ..... .....one of the most inefficient animals on our planet?
I have therefore sworn off of all grain (except maybe if fermented). From now on, it's only sausage and bourbon-flavored ice cream (milk punch) for me. :mrgreen:
Experience - the ability to instantly recognize a mistake when you make it again.
Gulyás
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Gulyás » Thu Aug 23, 2012 18:47

I ferment pickles, sauerkraut, maybe I'll try beer too.

My dear son !

That letter you sent us for money, well......., we didn't receive it...... :lol:
Jarhead
User
User

Post by Jarhead » Thu Aug 23, 2012 19:11

CW or anybody.
Hungarian Pepper question.
I have a smoked version of both. Bought through Spice Barn. Plus, regular Paprika.

Smoked Sweet Paprika
Smoked Hot Paprika

None say Hungarian. :sad:
Can I sub these or should I get what is called for? I don't wanna screw up the recipe.

I have the same question as Northfork. F-LC or T-SPX or both?

BTW, Mr Ducko, I feed my corn mash to the hogs. It kind of pre-marinades them! :grin:
No waste here and no evidence. Well, maybe a drop or two. :roll:
"Gunny"
FEC-100, 22" & 18" WSM, MB Gasser, UDS, A-Maze-N Tube Smoker
Gulyás
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Gulyás » Thu Aug 23, 2012 19:31

Yes sir Jarhead !

If it doesn't say hungarian, than my guess is, that it isn't. I think for now you have to use whatever you have.

You can order it from here, for next time.....http://www.penzeys.com/cgi-bin/penzeys/ ... prika.html

Ω(B2)
Last edited by Gulyás on Mon Oct 28, 2013 03:10, edited 1 time in total.