Online Workshop: Project B (August 2012)

el Ducko
Veteran
Veteran

Post by el Ducko » Sun Nov 18, 2012 05:29

Hope you enjoy it, grasshopper. Fry some fresh chorizo up, scramble some eggs into it, spoon on a little salsa if you are so inclined, and you have my favorite breakfast.

In your neck of the woods, Penzey's is a good source of spices, too. (...somewhat pricey, though.)
:mrgreen:
Experience - the ability to instantly recognize a mistake when you make it again.
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Sun Nov 18, 2012 05:40

There is an egg cassarole that uses sausage, eggs, cheese and a pastry crust under it all. I have a pound plus of chorizo that I must try that way.
Ross- tightwad home cook
el Ducko
Veteran
Veteran

Post by el Ducko » Sun Nov 18, 2012 05:43

WooHoo! Sounds really good. ...kinda like a quiche?
Experience - the ability to instantly recognize a mistake when you make it again.
redzed

Saddle Bum’s Smoky Beef Stick

Post by redzed » Wed Nov 21, 2012 21:02

Made Saddle Bum`s Smoky Beef Stick as directed by the trail boss. Never before have I made anything with as many ingredients! Just smoked last night, I will let it dry for a few days before sampling.
Image[/b]
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Thu Nov 22, 2012 01:51

Beeee You Tea Full! :wink:
Beautiful!
Nice work pal! Keep it up. Order a little brown plastic netting and you'll have a first-class gift for lots of folks.
You've come a long way, ol' Hoss! Don't let anything stop you now! Are you ready to go into fermented dry-cured sausages now?

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
redzed

Post by redzed » Thu Nov 22, 2012 15:03

Thanks CW. No need for the netting on this batch. It ain't leavin' the house! :lol:
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Tue Nov 27, 2012 08:18

One of the best posts I`ve ever seen regarding fermented type sausage and the necessity of using a fermenting chamber comes from our pal Cabonaia in Morgan Hill California. His advice is most profound. Please take heed! He states:
Yes sir. I'd recommend you do what I did. I hung 5 lbs. of sausage over a stick suspended between 2 chairs in a cool room that maintained a fairly steady temperature. I hung a big towel over the chairs/sticks/sausages, and beneath that kept a wide, shallow bowl of water. I monitored the temperature and humidity constantly. Sometimes it was just right, but usually at least within the high and low recommended control points.
After the sausages had lost 40% of their weight, I determined that they were case hardened, rancid, and according to all the best advice, dangerous. With tears, I threw them away. I put the word out until I got a free refrigerator from a friend who was remodeling her kitchen. With the addition of a freezer controller ($50), humidistat ($50), and humidifier ($35), and the help of a common power drill, I was in business.
This process works very well, and if you follow it closely, you will lose only 1 batch of sausage.
Thanks Jeff! I wish everyone who is even thinking about making fermented sausage would read your words. It would save countless dollars in wasted meat and time spent in labor.

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Tue Nov 27, 2012 15:58

I tried also to make shift with fermented sausage and ended with food for the foxes. :cry:
Ross- tightwad home cook
Cabonaia
Forum Enthusiast
Forum Enthusiast

Post by Cabonaia » Wed Nov 28, 2012 08:49

Chuckwagon wrote:Thanks Jeff!
My pleasure CW! Nothing helps you get religion like tossing 5 lbs. of meat. :shock:
redzed

Post by redzed » Sat Dec 15, 2012 19:09

Just after I made the smokey beer stick I had to travel due to a family matter and had no opportunity to dry and taste the product. I threw the sausages into the freezer and last week I had a chance to finish the project. I dried the beef stick for 5 days at 15°C. Turned out quite good. Very very smokey flavour with a bit of tang. Great with a beer. Will also have to pick up some nice rye to pair it with.

Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Sun Dec 16, 2012 09:58

Mama Mia Red! That's some good lookin' stuff.
The depth of smoke flavor in this recipe is variable with individual tastes as it is made with liquid smoke. One and a half tablespoons is pretty stiff for just 5 lbs. of meat. But then, the original recipe is pretty smokey too. Lots of folks cut down the amount of liquid smoke to only 3/4 of a teaspoon, while others enjoy the mustard seeds left "whole" rather than being crushed.
I included this recipe in Project B to give folks a little exposure to a "stout" or "hearty" summer sausage.
Thanks for posting Chris.

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Thu Jan 17, 2013 15:28

Project B, after the holidays, is waiting for the interest to pick back up. As we expected, most everyone ran out of time and bucks just before Christmas and we paused our progress. Our last effort was a hickory beefstick to be made for holiday gifts. Most people who make this stuff are very happy with their results.

Folks have worked hard to learn the basic sausage making skills. When everyone's ready, we should press on and go into the first steps of making a fermented-type sausage. The last effort in "Project B" is an introduction to fermented sausages. After that, we should change the topic's name and go into a more advanced plan, making fully-fermented sausage. There is a lot of know-how involved with this type of sausage and members will have to study some advanced material as well as making a curing and fermenting chamber. The last time I got to this point with a group, there was some difficulty due to the expenses involved. On the other hand, "Project A" (Alysandra Salami) was a complete success with the members of WD here.

I don't think we should rush the "fermented sausage" project. There's just too much to it to be "sloppy quick". I'd like to suggest using the entire remaining part of 2013 to develop:
1. a fermenting chamber
2. a curing facility (or chamber)
3. a competent and organized course of study
4. a self -"testing" effort to rate your understanding
5. a rate of learning that is comfortable with your finances
6. a rate of "hands on" sausage making efforts to be financially comfortable.

I believe Project B has been a valuable learning tool as it has given much-needed experience to quite a few folks. Now, it's time to advance our skills and knowledge.

Also, we should try some nice ham and some bacon recipes. I'd like to suggest making some cured & smoked turkey for a nice Easter project.

How about your thoughts? Could I get a little feedback at this point?

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
Gulyás
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Gulyás » Thu Jan 17, 2013 21:22

Hi Chuckwagon.

I was busy doing a hole lot of remodeling for myself, and for my fiends too, but I made lots of fresh sausages too for the holidays.
In the meantime I collected everything for my fermenting chamber too, but I have yet to assemble.

Everything except the freezer.......(I do have the freezer too.)

I'm happy and ready for the next project. :mrgreen:
Failure to prepare is preparing to fail.
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Fri Jan 18, 2013 01:33

Nice goin' Joe! It looks like you're right on top of everything. It won't be long now. :wink:

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
Cabonaia
Forum Enthusiast
Forum Enthusiast

Post by Cabonaia » Fri Jan 18, 2013 02:00

Chuckwagon wrote:How about your thoughts? Could I get a little feedback at this point?
Hi CW - I like the slow pace. Gives time to make a few versions of something new, so as to dial it in. Thanks to Project B I've made multiple batches of breakfast sausage, kabanosy (added some garlic and heat to it...is that ok?? :mrgreen: ), csabai as both fresh and dry cured, and my first semi-dry sausage. We haven't gotten to ring bologna yet, but I did try making some and though I liked it well enough, I know what I want to do differently next time. And of course, Mexican chorizo production continues uninterrupted because my kids are wild about it. Thanks El Ducko!

I like your idea of moving toward dry cured sausaged. Would also suggest that we do some lunch meats. I've really enjoyed making mortadella, cotto, and bologna. Kevin the NorCalKid seems to be expert at this - he could be an Advisor.

Also, if folks are going to be building curing chambers, we might want to get into whole muscle products like pancetta, coppa, lonzino and etc. Once you have a chamber, these are so simple to make and so good we just can't pass them up. And they are kind of a bridge to dry cured sausages.

I would like to learn about making adjustments to a basic recipe so as to make fresh, semi-dry, or dry cured versions of it.

Just some thoughts....

Cheers, and thank you a thousand times for all the great knowledge you are imparting!

Jeff