Online Workshop: Project B (August 2012)

Jarhead
User
User

Post by Jarhead » Wed Aug 22, 2012 13:39

Sheep Casing questions.
I have looked and found them ranging from $13 to $50. Where are you getting yours?
From my checking different sites, I have found that sheep casings come in different grades/ratings. "E" is for emulsified like hot dogs and "C" is for a course grind, like we are making here.
I've also seen a cheap home pack ($13) that contains 142 pieces :shock: I don't think so!!!
So I settled on a place that I have never ordered from before. It's called Spice Line
1 hank of 22-24 "C" Tubed Sheep Casing for $28.95 (ouch)
What do you think?
"Gunny"
FEC-100, 22" & 18" WSM, MB Gasser, UDS, A-Maze-N Tube Smoker
el Ducko
Veteran
Veteran

salt

Post by el Ducko » Wed Aug 22, 2012 14:05

As a family, we have worked to reduce salt intake in our foods for the past 15 years or so. There's a history of salt sensitivity due to high blood pressure concerns, and one of us even suffers from tinnitus (ringing in the ears) and other side effects. As a result, we all prefer less salt, and don't like most restaurant fare because it tastes over-salted. :razz:

In my sausage, we find that salt levels of 0.5% to 1.0% work best, generally on the low side. I know that several (that means you, Ross!) have questioned the salt level in my recipes. Now you know why. :idea:

The 1.5% suggested target is a good one. However, salt to your own preference. You can always add more, but you can't take it out once it's in there. (I'll start adding a note to all of my recipes if they get published). :mrgreen:
Experience - the ability to instantly recognize a mistake when you make it again.
Cabonaia
Forum Enthusiast
Forum Enthusiast

Post by Cabonaia » Wed Aug 22, 2012 15:11

Jarhead wrote:1 hank of 22-24 "C" Tubed Sheep Casing for $28.95
I looked at the site, but it seems you have to buy a whole bucket of hanks to get that price. Am I getting it wrong?
Jarhead
User
User

Post by Jarhead » Wed Aug 22, 2012 17:35

Cabonaia, I don't know. I just called and left a voice message about it. I'll let y'all know.
"Gunny"
two_MN_kids
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by two_MN_kids » Wed Aug 22, 2012 20:15

el Ducko wrote:For what it's worth, today I visited a local Gander Mountain and a not-too-far-away Bass Pro. Both carry a small amount of sausage making supplies. Both were out of everything on our list. :razz:

So, for most of us, save time and gasoline- - Go to town for meat (and extra beer, maybe), but go to the internet for mail order sausage making supplies. :mrgreen:
Hey el Ducko,

Same thing here in MN. :sad: I even checked with local butcher supply and discovered they had recently closed shop. I already had most supplies needed, but just ordered remainder from Sausage Maker, Inc. Bonus, as they are offering free shipping right now. :mrgreen:
el Ducko
Veteran
Veteran

Post by el Ducko » Wed Aug 22, 2012 20:29

Ouch! I shoulda ordered from there instead of LEM. Oh well...

Has anybody found a cheap price on T-SPX yet? Butcher-Packer (at $15.00) is the best that I've seen so far. I thought I'd check it out a bit, then wait until closer to when we need it, per CW's instructions.
Experience - the ability to instantly recognize a mistake when you make it again.
el Ducko
Veteran
Veteran

Post by el Ducko » Wed Aug 22, 2012 20:32

...anybody else succumb to the temptation to buy some new equipment, books, etc? What did you buy? (Not that I would, of course, but... :oops: )
Jarhead
User
User

Post by Jarhead » Wed Aug 22, 2012 20:38

el Ducko wrote:Ouch! I shoulda ordered from there instead of LEM. Oh well...

Has anybody found a cheap price on T-SPX yet? Butcher-Packer (at $15.00) is the best that I've seen so far. I thought I'd check it out a bit, then wait until closer to when we need it, per CW's instructions.
Only other one that I found was from Allied Kenco :shock:
"Gunny"
two_MN_kids
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by two_MN_kids » Wed Aug 22, 2012 20:45

el Ducko wrote:Has anybody found a cheap price on T-SPX yet? Butcher-Packer (at $15.00) is the best that I've seen so far. I thought I'd check it out a bit, then wait until closer to when we need it, per CW's instructions.
Sausage Maker, Inc. has it for $18. It may be cheaper there, taking the free shipping into account.

Jim
two_MN_kids
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by two_MN_kids » Wed Aug 22, 2012 20:48

el Ducko wrote:...anybody else succumb to the temptation to buy some new equipment, books, etc? What did you buy? (Not that I would, of course, but... :oops: )
I have been, and still am looking for a suitable freezer to convert. Found a great one not too long ago, but it works too good as a freezer to gut it! :mrgreen:
Jarhead
User
User

Post by Jarhead » Wed Aug 22, 2012 20:50

el Ducko wrote:...anybody else succumb to the temptation to buy some new equipment, books, etc? What did you buy? (Not that I would, of course, but... :oops: )
Grizzley has a 5# stuffer on sale for $79.00
Grizzley Stuffer
Northern Tool has a #12 electric grinder for $99.00 I've had mine for over 3 years and love it. It's seen a whole bunch of meat in it's day.
Grinder

I don't have the 5# vertical. Mine is an 8# horizontal from Northern Tool (discontinued)

Don't worry about the non-metal gears. As long as you don't get stupid and try to run the plunger through the horn you are ok.
"Gunny"
Jarhead
User
User

Post by Jarhead » Wed Aug 22, 2012 21:10

two_MN_kids wrote:I have been, and still am looking for a suitable freezer to convert. Found a great one not too long ago, but it works too good as a freezer to gut it! :mrgreen:
Build one out of OSB or T-1-11 siding. This one is propane, but you get the idea. AND you don't need all that fancy stuff that went into this build.
HTH
"Gunny"
Gulyás
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Gulyás » Wed Aug 22, 2012 21:35

Yes el Ducko I bought some new equipment, but I did it before I registered here, so the reason isn't this project. I bought a new all stainless steel grinder size 22, 1.5 hp. I got very surprised......it's polished very nice on the outside, but maaaaaaaaan, on inside, it's well, made in China.......gar****....upppssss........ :shock: ...so not very nice.....
Luckily I'm a tool & die maker, so I'm rebuilding it, still in cardboard box.
I got a new 7 liter upright stuffer too.
Failure to prepare is preparing to fail.
Cabonaia
Forum Enthusiast
Forum Enthusiast

Post by Cabonaia » Wed Aug 22, 2012 21:44

Recently got:

Amaz'n smoker
Kirby bucket mixer
LEM 5 lb vertical stuffer

Very pleased with all of them. Needless to say, I am now broke!

Next will be a remote thermometer with an alarm.

Someday, a deli slicer. But I don't really need one, so it can wait.
two_MN_kids
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by two_MN_kids » Wed Aug 22, 2012 22:06

Jarhead wrote:[Build one out of OSB or T-1-11 siding. This one is propane, but you get the idea. AND you don't need all that fancy stuff that went into this build.
HTH
Sorry Gunny, :oops:

I didn`t completely explain that what I want is fermentation and curing cabinet. See this link to posting: http://wedlinydomowe.pl/en/viewtopic.php?t=5317

By winter I hope to try some fermented types. :smile:

I have two electric smokers (Bradley and Cookshack), and although I am limited to 10 lbs. of hanging links, (haven't figured out how to hang them without touching) I find the Bradley works well enough. Of course, the drawback is purchasing the expensive pucks. But there are work-a-rounds for that, too. (Amaz'n smoker might be one idea!)

Jim