Online Workshop: Project B (August 2012)

redzed

Post by redzed » Mon Oct 08, 2012 06:49

ssorllih wrote:Once again working is starting to take up too much of my time but it also permits me to buy food and the grind pork for sausage. So tomorrow I start remodeling a kitchen and in a week or two I will have time and money to make sausage. Today we returned from a holiday at Harpers Ferry, W.Va. For now I have some Butt Bacon smoking that I started curing before we left Wednesday.
Hey Ross, too bad you don't live closer. I'd hire you for a few days and then we'd make sausage together! I have a few projects around here that I am incapable of completing because I am technically challenged. Can't cut a board or measure correctly. Some things I can do, others I can't. That's what I get for my previous life as a desk jockey.
jbk101
Passionate
Passionate

Post by jbk101 » Mon Oct 08, 2012 15:09

Hello all,
The smoke was kind of heavy at times as I was struggling with the screens I was using in my venturi type cold smoker (they kept disintegrating from the heat) So I ended up using the tray inside of the cabinet and manually trying to control the rise in temp. and keep the smoke going while I was trying to figure out my cold smoke generator problem. I ended up making my own screen and did a test burn (without any sausage in the cabinet) and it seems to work better. I am getting ready to smoke some bacon and with be trying it out again today.

In regards to the Hungarian Csabai, I currently have it in the fridge wrapped in parchment paper (did not have butchers paper available) So from your comment you don't think I need to apply any more smoke only let them dry some more in the Fridge?
Thanks,
John
Gulyás
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Gulyás » Mon Oct 08, 2012 16:08

John.
I think it depends on how smoky you prefer it. It's very hard to tell from the picture how much smoke penetrated inside. To me the smoking part looks done. I think it needs more drying only. It'll dry kind of too fast openly in the fridge. Putting them in paper bag slows it down.
I'd wait a day and see. You can always smoke them some more, but if you over smoke, you can't take it back. I gets bitter from too much smoke.
Failure to prepare is preparing to fail.
Gulyás
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Gulyás » Wed Oct 10, 2012 14:03

Hi John.

How is your csabai ?

Did you have hardened creosote & tar build up in your venture smoker ? (in the bottom of the unit)

I'm asking because I'm thinking about to make one.
Failure to prepare is preparing to fail.
grasshopper
Passionate
Passionate

chorizo

Post by grasshopper » Wed Oct 10, 2012 14:48

On the chorizo I did use 1/5 cup of vinegar.(76 gm) I wished I didn't, it is crumbly and I can taste the vinegar, a little bitter. I do love vinegar but not in my chorizo. next time I will use water. Remembering what CW taught us. Going to use soy powder concentrate to stiffen it up.This is just an opinion.
jbk101
Passionate
Passionate

Post by jbk101 » Wed Oct 10, 2012 17:30

Gulyas,
My Csabai I think over all looks pretty good. Still a couple of what I call soft spots (Spots that are not as firm as other areas of the sausage). Which leads me to believe that it still needs a couple of days more drying time. The weight loss seems to average out at about .5 oz. per day. (not sure if that's good or bad). They are wrapped in Parchment Paper and just resting in the Fridge. (except when I take them out to smell, weigh and admire them) Here are a couple of Pictures of them currently.

Image Image

In regards to the Venturi type smoker, for the limited usage so far I have not seen a hardened creosote build up (Yet). I still want to modify mine slightly. The 1st Change is a more Heavy Duty Screen system (the ones I currently have tend to burn up (aka melt) and the second change being a Larger Air Pump. and finally I am considering coming up with a better way to light it. I will advise any changes that I do make.
Thanks,
John
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Wed Oct 10, 2012 18:58

Red , I had to shut the kitchen job down to wait for an electrician to come in and correct forty years of homeowner electrical mess. Three boxes crammed with three times as many conductors as permitted by code.
Ross- tightwad home cook
IdaKraut
Passionate
Passionate

Post by IdaKraut » Thu Oct 11, 2012 22:14

ElDucko, your Tex/Mex chorizo recipe is really good. I used a tad more dried ancho peppers than you listed. The vinegar makes it taste great but it does make this a crumbly sausage, which I believe it is supposed to be. Anyway, thanks for posting this tasty recipe.
Rudy
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Thu Oct 11, 2012 22:36

There was good news today from our local Wegman's Market. Pork butts will be $.89 /pound for the rest of the year. So I will make some chorizo using pork. I tried a batch with chicken and wasn't impressed.
Ross- tightwad home cook
snagman
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by snagman » Fri Oct 12, 2012 00:13

ssorllih wrote:$.89 /pound[/quote

Ross, is that a typo ? That converts as approx $ 1.80 a kilo ! The poor producer must pay Wegmans to sell his pork......
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Fri Oct 12, 2012 00:33

No typo! I may fill my freezer. That is less than the price for live lean hogs.
Ross- tightwad home cook
jbk101
Passionate
Passionate

Post by jbk101 » Fri Oct 12, 2012 04:57

Chuckwagon,
Was looking over the Saddle Bum's Smoky Beef Stick Recipe (aka Semi-Dry Cured Summer Sausage) and came across a question.

In the Directions it says "Mix the Cure, Salt, (and Phosphate if used) together with cup of cup of Ice Water". The Question is this which ingredient is considered a Phosphate?
a.) Non-Fat Powdered Milk
b.) Powered Dextrose
c.) Corn Syrup Solids
d.) Soy Protein Concentrate
e.) All The Above
Thanks,
John
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Fri Oct 12, 2012 05:40

Hi Big John!
Hey I hope you make this sausage. It's not bad stuff at all, and is very close to a nationally known sausage stick sold during the holidays. I make it year 'round.
Some folks these days think it is really fashionable to include phosphates in sausage ever since discovering that commercial sausage makers use it to hold in moisture and bind meat particles together. One company that sells to us home hobbyists even calls it "special meat binder". I've encountered so many beginners who argue and insist on using it, that I just gave up trying to convince them that it is considered harmful to the human body by many meat scientists. Some at the University of Moscow have even written papers on the subject. I certainly do not recommend it. All I was saying was that if it is the reader's choice to use it, it may be added at that point in the recipe with other listed ingredients.

This sausage is a great way to do your Christmas shopping. Folks love it. And cased in brown synthetic casing and sacked in brown diamond pattern plastic stockinette, it really looks professional.

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
jbk101
Passionate
Passionate

Post by jbk101 » Fri Oct 12, 2012 06:00

Chuckwagon,
I plan on making it as soon as we get to that point of Project B. (Not wanting to get to ahead of the game) I was just reviewing all the recipes to make sure that I have all the ingredient's available. I'm kinda at a standstill on the Chorizo cause I need to pick up some Chile-Pasilla which I don't believe was in the original listing of spices when we started Project B.

I kind of guessed it was and extra ingredient but I wanted to make sure since my understanding is that the Phosphate was a binder and Powered Milk is considered a binder!
John
snagman
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by snagman » Fri Oct 12, 2012 06:27

el Ducko wrote:7.8 gm..paprika (sweet)
Hey ElDucko,

Ya ferget to write Sweet "Hungarian" paprika dinya ?

Gus