Online Workshop: Project B (August 2012)

ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Wed Aug 29, 2012 02:49

Also very much aware of the taste. Count a roll of pennies and then lick your fingers. :shock:
Ross- tightwad home cook
circlecross
Beginner
Beginner

Post by circlecross » Wed Aug 29, 2012 02:58

My antique stiffer has a brass horn. I can not detect an off-taste in my sausages. Nor could my father nor his father.
Sausage King of Love County!
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Wed Aug 29, 2012 03:43

Can you detect a metallic taste when you use iodized salt in your sausage?
Ross- tightwad home cook
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Wed Aug 29, 2012 04:13

Lookin' good Quack! But, uhhh... why is your pato wearing a cachiporra? Hey Ducko, did you know that there are 3 categories of meat proteins? Of the three, the myofibrillar proteins are called the "contractile" proteins for the way they act upon muscle e.g. rigor mortis. Myofibrillar proteins are composed of 55% myosin - generally considered the single most important because of their long, highly-charged, "filament" molecule that is present in lean muscle. Another protein (actin), along with myosin, are the two primarily responsible for creating the "sticky gel" that holds mixed, comminuted meat together. The two together are sometimes called "actomyosin". Be sure to include a photo of them when linked. Nice work pal.

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
Jarhead
User
User

Post by Jarhead » Wed Aug 29, 2012 04:49

I've never tasted it.
I don't use iodized salt in my sausage.
"Gunny"
FEC-100, 22" & 18" WSM, MB Gasser, UDS, A-Maze-N Tube Smoker
NorthFork
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by NorthFork » Wed Aug 29, 2012 12:27

My grinding and stuffing went pretty well. I complicated my day by having 45 lbs of venison and pork thawing in the meat fridge for snack sticks (poor planning on my part!) so I was rushing things a little. I prepped the casings with a thorough flush and soaked for around 20 minutes while I got the grinding done (I like to separate the fat and lean and grind fat through a 1/8" plate). When I finished the grind I mixed the meat and spices to a good bind and decided to cleanup before stuffing. I loaded the mixture into my stuffer can (5 lb. Grizzly) and loaded the casings on the 3/8" tube:

Mistake#1-I placed the tube on the canister and put both in the fridge while I cleaned up from the grind and mix(small kitchen is a pain!). I did cover the casing/tube with plastic wrap but I think the casing dried some while refrigerated.

Result of this was the casings had a little more drag on the tube than they should have and resulted in some over stuffing-relating to a couple of blowouts when I linked the sausage. Hindsight says I should have put the tube/casing in a bowl of water in the fridge or just left it in the soak until ready to stuff.

Mistake #2:-When I realized the casings were dragging I should have stopped and wet them down again (wet paper towels or?) instead of trying to deal with the dragging casings. I was fighting the result of the problem instead of eliminating the problem.

The only other issue I had was while loading the casings on the tube the little sucker got a "step over nose toe hold" around itself and I had to cut the casing to clear it up-should have used a large bowl of water while loading the casings instead of the small plastic tub that I soaked them in (more room for them to swirl around without tangling).

All in all I was pleased with the result, the sausage is very good and very similar to the country style sausage that I normally make.

Question-How long can the casings be left in the rinse and not refrigerated? I was a little leary of having them out too long.

Now I'm off to mix and run a bunch snack sticks (ground it all and made up a small batch yesterday-only 35 lbs left to run today).
el Ducko
Veteran
Veteran

Small sheep casing - - Blowout Problem

Post by el Ducko » Wed Aug 29, 2012 14:30

...sounds like my answer is a smaller stuffer tube. ...say, 3/8" or maybe 1/2". That, plus lubrication. I'll give it a shot. No sense wasting the sheep casing, especially when our Aussie and New Zealander friends are having such a hard time obtaining it.

That way, I can spend more $. Hmmm... :roll: (...thinking noises...)

We fried some up for breakfast, this morning. It's a nice, mild breakfast sausage which even my wife likes. That's quite an accomplishment. (She usually opts for sliced tomatoes when we go out for breakfast, rather than meat.)

CW, sounds like several of us are struggling with blow-outs, with this small diameter casing. Care to comment? (Need I ask? :mrgreen: ) (A nice technical description involving mitochondrial DNA or something, so I can blame it on my mother, maybe?) Thanks especially to Gunny and Ross for your suggestions, and to NorthFork for sharing your own experience.

Oh yeah- - P.S.
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck... it might be a duck.
"Viaduct? ...vhy not a schicken?"
(Marx Bros., where are you when we need you?) :mrgreen:
Experience - the ability to instantly recognize a mistake when you make it again.
Gulyás
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Gulyás » Wed Aug 29, 2012 15:12

:grin: schicken...... :lol:

And that reminded me, that yesterday I saw I misspelled the chicken in my recipe.... :shock:
Failure to prepare is preparing to fail.
el Ducko
Veteran
Veteran

Better move this thread, too. (Inmates taking over asylum!)

Post by el Ducko » Wed Aug 29, 2012 16:14

Gulyás wrote::grin: schicken...... :lol:
And that reminded me, that yesterday I saw I misspelled the chicken in my recipe.... :shock:
We enjoy you for both your spelling and your grammar (whatever it is you were trying to say). My great grandfather was the same way, but he was from Arkansas, so I guess it was okay. :mrgreen:

Ancient saying from the Appalachian Mountain area (that I just made up, because it seems to fit): "Speling don't count, but gramar do." :roll:
Experience - the ability to instantly recognize a mistake when you make it again.
two_MN_kids
Frequent User
Frequent User

Recipe #2: Kiełbasa Biała Surowa (Polish "White")

Post by two_MN_kids » Thu Aug 30, 2012 02:57

My choice for Recipe #2 is Kiełbasa Biała Surowa (Polish "White")

We very much enjoyed the taste of the sausage. It had a good mix of moisture and flavor.

I sure got tired of washing all the dishes (twice) for just 2 pounds of product, but it was worth it! :lol:

Jean has the camera packed for the upcoming Labor Day weekend. When I couldn't find it, I used my phone. I apologize for the poor photography. :oops:

Jim
two_MN_kids
Frequent User
Frequent User

Recipe #2: Kiełbasa Biała Surowa (Polish "White")

Post by two_MN_kids » Thu Aug 30, 2012 03:22

My choice for Recipe #2 is Kiełbasa Biała Surowa (Polish "White")

I have made fresh Italian (Sweet and Hot) for several years, and just wanted the challenge of something new. The grinding, mixing, and stuffing was accomplished without any problems. However, the recipe called for a 1/2 inch plate, and the closest I had was a 5/16 inch.

The stuffed sausage measured just over three feet. There were some air pockets which I vented out. I left it rest for about two hours, and then I decided to poach it, which only took about 20 minutes. After cooking it I could clearly see that I had missed several small air pockets. :oops:

I served it for dinner with a spinach salad, brown mustard, and fresh bread. Afterwards, I remembered to slice some on a plate for a photo op.

We very much enjoyed the taste of the sausage. It had a good mix of moisture and flavor. Jean noticed the garlic, while I tasted the marjoram more. :smile:

I am looking forward to learning how to make a good Kabanosy next. I'm very interested in how we are going to accomplish this; some of us don't have fermentation cabinets,yet.

"In Chuckwagon We Trust."

The Sausage Maker, Inc. shipped my order just yesterday. One thing I wanted (didn`t need) was back ordered. Everything is now in route and arrives on Saturday. I will need to occupy myself with reading until then. :cool:

Dang, I'm having fun!!! :mrgreen:

Jim
grasshopper
Passionate
Passionate

Post by grasshopper » Thu Aug 30, 2012 03:45

Going to finish up the cow ear tag mold Friday. I have most of the stuff except for the T-spx bactoferm and the powered dextrose. The sausage maker I purchased my casings from said to soak the sheep and the 75mm casing in warm water first to soften them up. Bet Chuckwagon's eyes will get real big if he reads this. Not that I am going to do that. Just got home from Northern tool with my 5LB vertical stuffer (kitchener). I noticed the stuffing tubes have a rough finish. I plan on putting them on a dowel and sand them in a lathe, to 1000 grit wet or dry paper (wet). Still behind but will catch up. That sausage maker has been around for a long time and has a very good reputation. Maybe I just misunderstood the man. Maybe warm to soften than cold to stuff. I did ask body temp and he said warmer than that.?
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Thu Aug 30, 2012 05:46

Hi Folks! Chokin` Chuck Checkin` In Here.
Jim, I`m delighted with your words, but shucks... I`m just an ol` saddlebum who fell off his horse, headfirst into the cactus. YOU folks are making a difference here because YOU are the ones doing something about the problem of mass-produced, bland-tasting, same ol` day-in and day-out sausage offered by your local grocery. I`m glad you`re having fun with this project. Keep it up. Jim, you wrote:
I am looking forward to learning how to make a good Kabanosy next. I'm very interested in how we are going to accomplish this; some of us don't have fermentation cabinets,yet.
Kabanosy doesn`t need a fermentation chamber. It is so easy... your mother-in-law could make it! You`re going to love the stuff, especially when you see how easily it is made using collagen casings. The casings are accordion-folded and sterile. All you have to do is remove them from the package and pull them over the nozzle of your stuffing horn. No water here... in fact, you must keep them dry to keep them sliding along the stuffing tube.

By the way, I hope everyone has a "small" stuffing tube. Kabanosy is a thin snack stick. In Poland they are made by stuffing the smallest diameter sheep casing. I eat so much of the stuff that I had to start using collagen casing so I didn`t have to mortgage a kid! I went to my local plumbing shop and bought a small length of stainless steel pipe (just under 1/2" O.D.) that I flared on one end and welded it onto a stainless "washer" that I machined myself. Then I slipped it into a spare threaded collar and brazed the thing together. It`s long enough to accommodate an entire length of 19mm collagen casing and makes stuffing a snap. I`ve used it for years. Now I see a 1/2" stainless model offered by the Sausagemaker™. If you`re interested, it is at this link: http://www.sausagemaker.com/stufferaccessories.aspx

Duck-O Doo,
By it`s very nature, sheep casing is a little less sturdy than hog casing. Sheep casing is considered a bit more elite than others. It is tender to the tooth and many people liked (and still do) for breakfast sausages. I can see that Gulyas has worked with this casing before because he knows the secret for finding the ends and getting them on the nozzle. He snips the end perpendicular to its length and then holds it under a slight stream of running water. Sometimes I sprinkle a little salt on the tips of my wet fingers at this point. (Dipping them in salt seems to pick up too much).

My sausage-making table has a round sink (for flushing casings), with a goose neck tap made of some type of high-grade plastic. I fashioned the nozzle to resemble a huge hypodermic needle with a smooth, narrow, tip. I buffed it to a sheen, removing all rough edges and surfaces. The casing is held under a narrow stream and a "water bubble" goes into the casing as it is pulled up over the rounded goose-neck where it is gathered. The water bubble inside the casing is the secret... and it the same secret for slipping casings on the nozzle of your stuffer. Water is the only lubricant. Don`t make the mistake of trying to substitute fat or butter. It just doesn`t work and will smear the inside of the casing and cause texture problems when the sausage is cooked in the pan.

Next item - I`ve had to remove a comment made by a non-participant of this project. Please let me remind all readers that there was ample opportunity to register before we started. For others to criticize or make recommendations outside of this "participating group" is not professional and not appreciated. Outside remarks of any type will be removed. Here is how the project was initially posted:

The outline has been planned and written for absolute beginners with possible confidence problems and a suggested reading and study agenda is included. Once the registration has taken place, the forum topic will be closed to all persons not registered. This is to prevent those choosing NOT to participate from posting remarks or criticizing beginners` responses or sausage photos.

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
Last edited by Chuckwagon on Fri Aug 31, 2012 08:26, edited 1 time in total.
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
el Ducko
Veteran
Veteran

Ouch! (1/2" tube for $21.99 at the Sausage Maker)

Post by el Ducko » Thu Aug 30, 2012 13:58

Chuckwagon wrote:...He snips the end adjacently to its length and then holds it under...
Maybe I'm geometrically-impaired, but could you explain this? ...maybe "parallel to the length"? ...as opposed to "perpendicular to the length"? I think it's the first, which would give two flaps which you could slip over the end of the tube a bit easier. Izzat rat? Thanks. ...sounds like a great tip. :mrgreen:

Now to buy a welding machine, some washers, maybe a good lathe... :roll:
(Actually, what I'll do is get some of that ss. tubing that you mention, have it flared, get a 2" PVC cap that fits our famous "Russ-N-Ross RamRod" sausage stuffer, drill a hole for it, and do it that way.)
jbk101
Passionate
Passionate

Post by jbk101 » Thu Aug 30, 2012 19:42

grasshopper wrote:Just got home from Northern tool with my 5LB vertical stuffer (kitchener). I noticed the stuffing tubes have a rough finish.
Question: I have been considering this Stuffer have you had a chance to test it out yet?

I have been torn between this unit ($99.00) and the LEM 5 lb. with steel gears ($129.95) from Meat Processing Products (here is the link if interested) http://www.meatprocessingproducts.com/lem606.html

I was ready to place the order on the "Kitchener" until I read your comment about the roughness of the stuffer tubes. Which scares me just a little :sad:
Also I was wanting to purchase a 3/8" stuffer tube which Northern does not carry but Meat Processing Products does carry (only mention it since I have to consider shipping charges for both items.

Any comments or suggestions from the group are appreciated before I place my order.

Thanks,
John