Online Workshop: Project B (August 2012)

Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Sun Aug 26, 2012 09:30

Gulyas, those are the most beautiful peppers I`ve ever seen. And your "campfire" is incredible. I love your hothouse too.

El Ducko wrote:
International Rogaine Expo in Toronto last year.
El Ducko`s told me his bald spot in front is because he`s a thinker. Then he said his bald spot on the back of his head is because he is a great lover. Nawwww, said I. You are bald because you think you are a lover!
Then he wrote:
Congrats, CW, on an excellent post. All the bacteria mumbo-jumbo usually goes over my head, but you finally caught my attention with it, and with the follow-on business about working the mince. This latest post in "Project B" brought home two important things that I have been lax about doing- - keeping everything cold at every opportunity, and developing the primary bind. I had been hiding behind the excuse that adding vinegar destroyed the primary bind, so why bother. That's not an excuse any longer.
Even if I retain nothing else from this series, you just doubled the quality of my sausage making. But there's a whole lot more to come, and you've got my attention now.
I'm sure I'm not alone in saying thanks, my friend. This "Project B" business is the best thing since sliced beer. ...or is it, canned bread? Hmmm...
Thank you my friend. That certainly means a lot to me. I very much appreciate your words.

Jarhead wrote:
CW, are we ready yet? Huh? Huh? Are we ready yet? Huh?
Yup, Gunny! I think we`d better get goin` pretty quick. Is Monday afternoon alright with everybody? I`d like you to read my 32 Sausage Making Tips To Save You Grief and ask any questions you may have before we start. Also, at two Jackson`s per hank of sheep casing, I`ll certainly understand if you choose not to use them. If partial hanks are available somewhere, you may wish to experience how tender they are.

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
Last edited by Chuckwagon on Sun Aug 26, 2012 09:40, edited 1 time in total.
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Sun Aug 26, 2012 09:39

Chuckwagon's 32 Sausage Making Tips To Save You Grief

1. Always use good meat to make good sausage. If you toss junky meat into the hopper, you`ll have junky sausage to contend with. Good Boston Butt (pork shoulder) is the first choice for sausage making. Incidentally, have you ever wondered why pork shoulder is called "Boston butt"? Meat cutters in the eighteenth century seaport Boston, Massachusetts, packed cuts of pork shoulder into wooden casks called "butts" to be placed aboard ships... which brings up the question, " Do folks in Boston know their shoulders from their butts? :wink:
2. The meat MUST be kept as cold as possible throughout the entire mincing, mixing, and stuffing process. Place the grinder blade and plate into the freezer 20 minutes ahead of time. If the plate and knife heat up, it can affect the mixture in all sorts of ways. Don't be afraid to add a little softened crushed ice chips now and then. Never try to grind hard-frozen ice cubes with your grinder.
3. Work with small batches of meat at a time and never miss an opportunity to refrigerate the meat at any time during the process.
4. Always cut the meat into chunks about an inch in size before they go into the grinder. This prevents sinew from wrapping around the auger, binding it down. When this happens, the meat is usually pushed through the die and is torn rather than being cleanly incised.
5. Freeze fat before putting it into the grinder to prevent "smearing". Meat should be nearly frozen to prevent "mushing".
6. Freezing ruptures meat cells as ice crystals expand. When the meat is thawed, it exudes a mixture of proteins, minerals, blood, water, collagen, and other meat juices we view as simply blood. This liquid should be saved and added to the sausage. Quick freezing produces less rupturing of meat cells.
7. Avoid using beef fat in sausage as well as the fat of wild game. Beef fat is yellow and the taste is inferior to that of pork fat. Also, avoid the fat of sheep or goats unless specified in a particular ethnic sausage.
8. The most important reason for not stuffing casings as the meat leaves the grinder, is that minced meat needs to develop myocin and actin, (proteins) that makes a sticky "meat paste". This is done either by hand or by using a mixer, but must be done in order to have proper texture in sausage. An investment in a vertical, geared, stuffer will keep you sane and made short work of stuffing casings.
9. The texture of sausage may be improved by freezing the fat then cutting it into larger dice by hand, rather than passing it through a grinder. The frozen fat is then folded gently by hand, into the primary bind.
10. Sausage must contain salt for a variety of reasons. Never reduce the amount of salt in a sausage recipe without professional advice. How much salt is needed in sausage? About 2% in fresh type sausage or 2 grams per 100 grams of meat. However, 2% used in fresh sausage, is simply not high enough for safety in a fermented "dry-cured" sausage requiring up to 3%. Dry-cured sausages without starter cultures (called "traditional" sausage), require even more... anywhere from 3 to 3.5%. Four to five per cent salt is unpalatable.
11. Grind fresh black pepper just before it goes into the sausage. Use a coarse "butcher`s grind" for fresher aroma and better taste. Store-bought pre-ground pepper has lost its taste. Leave it on the shelf and grind your own peppercorns for great tasting sausage.
12. Good sausage contains 20 to 25% fat. Fat lubricates the meat and gives it flavor. It also serves as a binder and although the content may be lowered, without it, a sausage`s texture becomes almost unpalatable.
13. Make sure the grinder blade is not on backwards. It must be pressed up against the plate with just a little pressure. You should be able to adjust the pressure as you detect just the slightest bit of resistance on the machine.
14. Never attempt to sharpen the flat side (plate side) of the blade. The contact surfaces must remain flat within a few thousandths of an inch. (Think of the two "flat contact sides" of a scissors. A cutler never touches them. He does however, grind the beveled edges to sharpen them.
15. After grinding, add the cure mixed in a little water for even distribution. Mix the spices and cure into the meat and continue mixing until the myosin develops a sticky meat paste.
16. Always use sterilized (prepared) spices in sausage. Non-sterile fresh spices and herbs from your garden may contain various bacteria from the soil and can spoil a batch of sausage within hours.
17. The purchase of an electronic scale is a solid investment you`ll never regret. Use it for precisely measuring salt, cures, and ingredients of all types.
18. To get the last bit of sausage out of the grinder, put a slice of bread down the hopper and continue grinding until the meat has cleared the plate.
19. If you use wine in sausage, be sure it is not a fruity sweet wine, and then limit the amount used. More is not better; too much wine makes the texture crumbly because it denatures the proteins, including the very importatnt binders actin and myocin. Please use only "dry" wine. The best way to add it is using an atomizing "spritzer" to spray it in while it is very cold during the mixing step.
20. Always preheat the empty smokehouse, add the sausage, then raise the temperature gradually - only a few degrees at a time at twenty or thirty minute intervals over several hours. I have yet to meet a sausage maker who didn`t ruin his first batch by cooking it too quickly. If the fat "breaks" (melts) and grease runs out onto the bottom of the smoker, you may as well toss the batch and start again. Cooked too quickly or too much, it is impossible to salvage.
21. Trichinella Spiralis is destroyed at 138°F. (59°C.). Prep-cooked sausages such as "brown n` serve" are often cooked to the temperature of 148°F. (64°C.) for later heating to a final serving temperature of around 155°F. (68°C.). Sausages smoke-cooked to this temperature are guarded against most spoilage and pathogenic bacteria including salmonella, listeria monocytogenes, and toxoplasma - responsible for 1,500 deaths annually. However, it is critical that internal meat temperatures above 168° F. (76° C.) in "smoked-cooked sausages" be avoided as fat starts breaking (melting) at this point and will melt in pockets inside the sausage, eventually running out of the sausage. If this occurs, the sausage's texture will invariably replicate sawdust! You may as well throw it out and start again from scratch. And don't feed it to your dog! He deserves better. During prep-cooking, always heat and smoke sausages "low n` slow
22. Always use non-iodized salt in sausage making. Iodized salt leaves a metallic taste behind.
23. After grinding, add the cure - mixed into a little water or cold stock - for even distribution throughout the meat.
24. Having ground meat for sausage, we must remember the simple task of developing a "sticky meat paste" that sausage makers refer to as the "primary bind". Cold meat (just above the freezing point) must be mixed and kneaded well enough to develop the proteins myosin and actin. As this occurs, the mass will become sticky and develop soft peaks when pulled apart. The proper development of myosin and actin is critical for good texture in the finished product, although the meat should never be overly-mixed, as this may result in the sausage becoming "rubbery" in texture.
25. It is a good idea to develop the primary bind before vinegar, tomato, or any highly acidic food are added. In chorizo, blend in vinegar, but do not over-develop the mixture. Too much vinegar in the recipe will denature proteins and create other problems.
26. If you are making a "semi-dry cured" sausage that requires prep-cooking to an internal temperature of 150°; F. (66°;C.), be aware that cooking in an oven with slightly lower heat, will cause a sausage to dry out more as it cooks longer.
27. If you have used vacuum sealing bags, you`ve probably experienced smashing sausages that have lost their shape. A simple solution is to place them into a deep freezer an hour before placing them into vacuum sealed plastic bags for longer storage. The quicker the meat is frozen, the smaller the ice crystals will be which will rupture meat cells affecting the texture of the sausage.
28. If your emulsified hot dogs and sausages are tough or rubbery in texture, you may be over-extracting the actomyosin myofibrillar proteins. In other words, you may be mixing the sausage a little too much, especially with the addition of salt or water. This elasticity may also be perceived as toughness or stiffness in texture. Most often an "insufficient amount of water" is bound to receive the blame for this elasticity or toughness when it is not.
29. Grind fresh black pepper just before it goes into the sausage. Use a coarse "butcher`s grind" for fresher aroma and better taste. Store bought pre-ground pepper has lost its taste. Leave it on the shelf and grind your own peppercorns for great tasting sausage.
30. Collagen casings cannot be linked by twisting them. They must be tied off using string, or simply cut to length using scissors if using smaller diameter casings like those for breakfast sausages.
31. Avoid air pockets in sausages by firmly packing the meat into the stuffer using your fist. Make certain the pressure relief valve is working properly. Trapped air pockets in casings are pierced deeply with a needle in several places immediately following stuffing.
32. Moisten hardwood sawdust well ahead of burning time, and do not soak it to the point it is dripping wet. Turn the hot plate to high until smoldering begins, then turn the heat down until it only produces constant but very little smoke. Moistened wood is not as acrid. Smoke penetrates meat much faster at higher temperatures. A case in point may be a sausage perfectly smoked at 120° F (50° C) for 4 hours. The same sausage may acquire a bitter, over-smoked flavor if smoked at 250° F (120° C) for the same length of time.

Best Wishes, :smile:
Chuckwagon
Last edited by Chuckwagon on Mon Aug 27, 2012 07:35, edited 1 time in total.
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Sun Aug 26, 2012 10:49

Casings And Stuffing

For years, I used a push-type horn stuffer complete with a lever-driven piston, and I often invented new and exciting, colorful, adjectives and nouns. From the onset, it became evident that adding moisture to the meat mixture was necessary just to be able to press the meat mixture through the *!#*! device into casings. Most of the time, the sausage (with too much added water) turned out mushy and many times just pulling the handle down required the assistance of three men and a boy! Impressing no one with my vibrant vocabulary, and finding my marriage in jeopardy, I eventually purchased a hand-cranked, geared, vertical model stuffer from Rytek Kutas during his "early days" - one of the best investments of my lifetime. I still have it and it works just fine.

Today, like many home sausage makers, I use a motorized grinder and never add moisture to sausage with the exception of a little finely crushed ice to cool the blade and of course, just a bit of water to make the "soup" containing the cure and spices. Stuffing casings right out of the grinder is poor practice, yet innumerable people believe it is proper practice. Although it is possible to remove the blade and plate from the grinder, add a "spacer", and attach a "stuffing horn" complete with a few yards of casing ready to be stuffed, I was never able to see the wisdom in this type of setup as it is incredibly slow and frustrating! If you must process sausage in this manner, please grind the sausage into a container placed inside a bowl of ice. Mix the ground meat well to develop the myosin, cool the mixture until it nearly freezes, then pass it through the grinder again without using the blade and plate, being sure to use a "spacer" - a plate having only two large apertures, eliminating much of the resistance of trying to push the mixture through multiple holes.

Commercially made sausages are nearly always stuffed into synthetic, collagen, plastic, or other man-made casings by motorized and geared stuffers. Most often, natural casings are not used commercially since they vary in diameter and volume, making it difficult for companies to provide a consistently uniform product. Regardless of the type stuffer you choose, you should be aware that meat mixed with salt, especially combined with soy protein concentrate, will set up like cement if you don`t expedite the process a bit and get the meat into casings immediately.

Small batches of homemade sausage are best stuffed into natural hog or lamb casings being completely rinsed of packing salt inside and out. Soaked casings are placed upon the nozzle of your kitchen tap then flushed with water to remove the salt inside them. Natural casings used for your favorite sausages, are made from the submucosa collagen layers inside the intestines of sheep, hogs, and cattle. Flushed, cleaned, turned inside out and scraped with knives, they are finally salted and shipped in a saturated salt solution. They have historically been the ideal container for the world`s first "convenience food". Moisture and heat make casing more porous and tend to soften them, explaining why smoking, cooking, and humidity must be carefully controlled. The secrets of the old mom-and-pop "wurstmachers" over hundreds of years, have been developed into a most efficient and safely consumed product today, although now, there aren`t enough to go around! As a consequence, commercial sausage makers now use plastic, cellulose, and collagen casings almost exclusively.

Hog casings (upper intestines) are sold in 91-meter lengths cut into "hanks" 1 to 2 meters long and gathered into bundles called "shorts". Their average diameter is about 35 millimeters and may be used for cooked sausages, pepperoni, Italian sausage, Kielbasa, Kishka, larger franks, and a host of other stuffed sausages. Hog middles (middle intestines called "chitterlings") are curly in appearance and cut into one-meter lengths, sold in bundles of nine or ten. They are available in wide, medium, or narrow calibers, determined by the location of the item within the animal. Middles are ideal for Braunschweiger, liver sausages, dry salami, and Italian salami. Hog bungs (called "fat ends") are the intestine`s extreme southern end of a north-bound pig. Bungs are sold individually and are used primarily for liver sausage and Branschweiger, Genoa salami, Thuringer, and summer sausage. Diameters vary from 55 to 90 millimeters.

Measured by diameter in millimeters, small breakfast sausages require 29-35 mm. casings. Use 35-38 mm. casings for Polish sausage, and 38-42 mm. for summer sausage and larger Polish or liverwurst sausages. For small batches of sausage, use a partial "hank", replacing leftover casings inside their salt solution in an airtight refrigerated container.

Sheep casings are more delicate, used for the best sausages, are smaller in diameter, and high in quality. Available in 18-28 millimeter diameters, they are often used for frankfurters, fresh pork sausages, cabanosa, Bockwurst, Chipolata, and slim-jim beer sticks.

Sheep Casings - 1 Hank

Diameter:____ Capacity:
16-18 mm......33-36 lbs.
18-20 mm......38-41 lbs.
20-22 mm......47-52 lbs.
22-24 mm......55-60 lbs.
24-26 mm......60-64 lbs.
26 + mm........64-70 lbs.

"Shorts" - 3 to 6 ft. lengths.

18-20 mm......34-36 lbs.
20-22 mm......40-45 lbs.
22-24 mm......45-50 lbs.
24 + mm........50-54 lbs.

The three most used beef casings are "bung caps", "beef rounds", and `beef middles". The caps are used with capicola, large Bologna, and cooked salami. Beef "rounds" derive their name from their characteristic "ring" shape, and are used for stuffing ring Bologna, ring liver sausage, Mettwurst, Polish sausage, blood sausages, and Polish Kishka and German Holsteiner. Beef "middles" are used for Leona sausage, all types of Bologna, Cervelats, cooked salami, and veal sausage. Beef middles are sold in "sets" of 9 and measure 18 meters in length (30 feet). Beef bladders are the largest diameter casings acquired from cattle, are oval and used for Mortadella and other specialty sausage.

Whenever using fresh hog or lamb casings, prepare them by soaking and flushing them with fresh cold water. As they soak, rinse the packing salt from their insides by placing only one at a time, inside a bowl of water beneath the tap in your sink. Open one end of the processed, cleaned, and salted intestine, slipping an inch or more of it over the water tap. Flush cold water through the casing for a few minutes, to remove any remaining salt. As you remove the casing from the tap, allow a bubble of water to remain inside then gather the full length of the casing over a stuffing tube first lubricated with water. Never attempt to lubricate the stuffer with butter or any other lubricant other than water, as this will affect the cooking-smoking of the skin later on. Stuff the entire casing firmly before linking uniform lengths by pinching off a desired amount, holding each end using both hands, then twisting each new link by flipping it forward in a circular motion twice. Many folks tie lengths using 100% cotton string although fingers become sore if there is much sausage to be linked. It is important to immediately remove any air pockets in the sausages by pricking the links with sterile needles in multiple locations along the entire length of the sausage. I use a piano tuner's "voicing tool" with a spiffy hardwood handle and four needles. Trapped air, if not removed, becomes the ideal breeding ground for bacteria. Don`t be concerned about the small holes made in the sausage. The tiny holes will seal themselves almost immediately and natural casings will shrink equally with the meat while being cooked or dried.

Generally, smaller casings allow about half the volume of meat to be stuffed into them as when using those of a little larger diameter, and there is now a trend for sausage makers to stuff even simple breakfast sausage into 32-35 mm. hog casings instead of the traditionally smaller lamb casings. As with all natural casings, unused portions may be replaced into their original containers of saturated salt solution and may be stored for an indefinite period of time when refrigerated.

Synthetic And Fibrous Casings

Each year, in the United States alone, there are billions of pounds of sausage produced. Livestock simply cannot produce enough casings to wrap all the luncheon meats and sausages we devour annually. Today, about 80% of the sausage sold in your local market is stuffed into synthetic casings. Thank goodness for cellulose and plastic! There is an array of colors - red for Bologna, white for liverwurst, and clear-colored for salami and an assortment of other favorites. Some have a coating of protein inside which causes the casing to shrink along with the meat as it dries. Fibrous casings have the added strength of fibers running lengthwise through them, giving them added strength, allowing packers to stuff them more tightly eliminating air pockets. This casing is actually porous enough to allow the absorption of smoke.

Collagen Casings

Where was this stuff fifty years ago? Collagen is not synthetic, as most people seem to believe. It is the insoluble fibrous protein in connective tissue in cattle and other vertebrates. Upon prolonged heating, it yields gelatin and glue used in many products. In the sausage-casing industry, it is simply the flesh-side, corium layer of cattle hides, swelled in an acid, then sieved and filtered before being extruded into sausage casings. It`s wonderful stuff, fully digestible, not erratic in size, does not need to be cleaned, flushed, or even pre-soaked, and remains fairly strong for stuffing, yet is most tender to the tooth. It is shipped to you inside sanitary containers, ready to be stuffed onto the horn without additional washing, soaking, or handling. The only single drawback with using collagen casings is they cannot be twisted into links and have to be tied with string. Collagen casings are ideal for smoked or dry-cured sausages. In smaller diameters, breakfast sausages don`t even have to be linked; simply cut them to length with scissors after stuffing. Whenever making 19 m.m. snak-stix, collagen casings can`t be beat.

Collagen casings come in two types. The lighter-colored collagen casing is thinner and often will not withstand the hanging pressure in a smokehouse. Although this casing can split and break more easily, it creates a more tender bite. The darker, smoked casing is thicker and made to withstand the hanging pressure when smoking. There`s no preparation necessary; just slide them on a stuffing tube and stuff them.

Casing Problems

Natural casings are shipped packed in a salt solution inside sealed containers. It is most unlikely they will decay. However, infrequently gas builds up and its odor will cause you to believe either the contents have spoiled, or that someone has buried a body in the basement! Simply wash and use the casings, packing any left over in saturated, uniodized, kosher salt solution. Casings on fresh sausage may be tough if the product is cooked at too high a temperature for too short a period of time. Casings may also be tough if not soaked long enough before being stuffed. If smoke will not penetrate casings, they have not dried properly. In some cases, smoke may penetrate the casing but will be deposited on the meat`s surface, permitting separation. On the other hand, if casings are over dried, smoke will be deposited upon the surface with very little flavor penetration.

Collagen casings must dry a bit before they are able to handle the weight of their contents while hanging them in your smoker. If the humidity is too high in the smokehouse, they may fall. If casings wrinkle, they may have been too dry before stuffing, under stuffed, or improperly cooled. Following cooking inside a smokehouse, sausages should immediately be showered with cold water, hung at room temperature for an hour, then removed to a cooler overnight.

Problems With Sausage Texture? Let`s Review The Rules

If the texture of your sausages tastes and looks like sawdust, it is time to review the basic rules. It is important to keep the meat absolutely cold during the entire sausage making process, capturing every opportunity to place it back into the refrigerator if for only a few minutes. Ground meat will have a better finished texture if it is initially prepared by cutting it into inch-and-a-half chunks, spreading them onto a baking sheet tray or large plate, and placing the chunks into a freezer ten minutes, until they almost begin to freeze. It`s also a good idea to place the grinder`s blade and plate into the freezer at the same time. As these parts begin to heat up quickly as they are used, keep them cooled by adding soft crushed ice or ice water to lubricate the meat during grinding. As the ground meat leaves the grinder, allow it to collect in a non-reactive metal bowl or container placed on top of another bowl full of ice. Never try grinding solid frozen, whole ice cubes inside your meat grinder. Refrigerate the ground meat as quickly as possible, even if it must be done in batches every few minutes. Again, never miss a chance to refrigerate the meat, though it may be just a few minutes.

As a grinder`s blade revolves against it`s plate, friction creates heat and fat will begin to liquefy in minuscule spots, "smearing" as the temperature actually approaches 160 degrees (F.) in places, where it separates from muscle rather than achieving a good emulsion by remaining solid. As the heated "spots" of fat cool being surrounded by ground meat and cooled fat, it will solidify anew, especially having exited the grinder - into unappetizing, greasy, awful-tasting, clusters scattered throughout the meat!

In addition, whenever cased sausage is heated too quickly during the smoking procedure, the fat will invariably liquefy and separate. This is called "breaking" the fat, and leaves behind lean, rancid-tasting, dehydrated, meat having the texture of sawdust. Rather than having sausage containing locked-in, tasty, solid fat, you`ll end up with sausage leaking orange, greasy "ninety-weight", all over the floor as it cooks. Without gradually raising the smokehouse temperature - no more than a few degrees each half hour over a prolonged period, you`ll end up tossing the entire batch.

After grinding, the simple task of producing a "sticky meat paste" becomes essential for proper texture in the finished product. Whether its by hand or by using a mixer, the meat must be agitated well enough to develop the protein myosin. Once again, as this occurs, the ground meat mixture will become "sticky" and develop peaks when pulled apart. Without developing myosin in the ground meat, the texture of your sausages will be inferior. For some reason, knowing this, beginners tend to overlook this critical step in the sausage making process. Finally, be careful not to add too much water to the mixture, as the sausage will become mushy, eventually shrinking, becoming flattened and wrinkly in appearance as the excess moisture evaporates.

Reviewing Sausage Sense & Secrets

Sorry, but there is just no such thing as a low-fat sausage. Did you know that the USDA allows 50% fat in "fresh" type pork breakfast sausage? Have you noticed how they shrink as they cook, leaving a pool of grease in the frying pan? Good sausage needs only 25 to 30% fat content to keep it lubricated. Without it, your sausage, even made with the finest meats, will feel dry as you attempt to chew it. Sausage must be made with chilled or frozen fat to avoid "smearing" as it is minced. Once the sausage is stuffed into casings and hung in your smoker, it must not be cooked too quickly or at too high a temperature. You just can`t hurry the process! If the fat in the mixture "breaks", (at about 170°F./ 77°C.), it becomes liquid and usually flows all over the floor of your smokehouse. When this happens, there is no salvaging the entire batch. Its texture will resemble that of sawdust and the now orange, re-solidified fat tastes just awful. Throw it out. And don`t you even dare give it to your dog as he just might turn on you with bared teeth!

Good sausage also needs a specific amount of salt for a variety of reasons. Fresh-type meat sausages (refrigerated and consumed within three days time), taste best when their salt content is only about 1.5%. The average smoked-cooked sausage requires 2% to 3%, varying in each recipe. In dry-cured products, even more salt content is required and remains constant, although evaporating moisture reduces the weight and intensifies the flavor of the sausage.

Nothing beats the taste of freshly ground or cracked peppercorns in sausage. The most widely used spice of all, (black pepper), comes from the unripened seeds (with the skin left on), of the piperaceae plant. White peppercorns are the ripened seeds with the skins removed. Please don`t purchase pre-ground pepper. Its flavor is gone and there is no telling how long it has been on the grocer`s shelf. Purchase fresh peppercorns from a reliable spice dealer and grind them yourself in a small, inexpensive coffee grinder. Pepper is an indispensable ingredient in sausage making! Use only the fresh stuff and grind it yourself.

A policeman once asked me why I ran a stop sign. I told him that I just don`t believe everything I read! So, when I read someone`s opinion that sugar counterbalances the harshness of salt, it raised my eyebrows. I do not agree completely, and have found that sugar has very little use in sausage other than when it`s placed in some "dry-cured" fermented type sausages. Even then, powdered dextrose (only 70% as sweet as sugar) is used in sausages that do not have the advantage of curing over a period of time. Sugar is usually added to dry-cured products where lactic acid bacteria have more time to work their magic. As a flavoring element, sugar does little to sausage but may sweeten the mixture a bit. Four grams of sugar in a kilogram of meat is too much and noticeably sweet. Although some disagree, I`ve found that adding sugar to a product in which too much salt has been inadvertently mixed, is usually not a practicable option and may even make it taste worse. The ideal solution? Add more ground meat to the mixture instead of sugar. Test a bit of the sausage by frying it quickly in a pan.

Many people at this point hang sausages on smoke sticks to dry them an hour before placing them into a smokehouse. Some dry them in a slightly heated smokehouse of 110° F. (43°C.) opening the dampers fully an hour to allow moisture to escape. No matter how its done, remember, sausages will not take on smoke until they are completely dry to the touch.

Next, gradually cook the meat while smoking it. The word gradually in this step is of highest importance in the process. Most recipes will have you start the cooking-smoking at about 120°F. (49°C.) after pre-heating the smoker to that temperature. When the internal meat temperature (IMT) reaches 120°F. (49°C.), increases in temperature made thereafter must be done only a few degrees each twenty minutes or half hour. An increase of only 2 degrees each twenty minutes will require 5 hours of cooking. Better yet, is an increase each half hour requiring seven and a half hours!

Other folks prefer to steam sausages immediately following light smoking. For larger batches, place a pan of water on the smokehouse burner, turn up the heat, and steam sausages hung on smoke sticks right inside your smokehouse. Note that even though the sausages are steamed with moisture, they must not surpass 160° F. (71°C.) or the fat will "break". The upside? If you allow the fat to break, you`ll have plenty of slingshot ammunition on your hands, as the "sawdust sausages" won`t be fit for anything else.

For steaming small batches of sausages, a large, multi-layered, stackable Chinese bamboo steamer is ideal. Simply use a wok, half-full of water, and a larger diameter bamboo steamer. Be sure to monitor the internal meat temperature with a "constant reading probe thermometer" having an alarm. Whether they are steam cooked or just baked inside the smokehouse, having reached the temperature of 155°F. (68°C.), the sausages must be immediately removed to the ice water to avoid the "carry over effect" where the temperature actually continues to climb. Finally, they are showered with cold water (to reduce shriveling) until their temperature drops to room temperature. As they are wiped off and hung to dry, it is only a matter of a few hours before a beautiful mahogany bloom appears.

Many people are under the impression that once cured, cooked, and smoked, a sausage may be left out of the refrigerator safely. This is a popular misconception and not true. The only type sausage or whole meat muscle that may be safely stored at room temperature is a fully fermented, dry-cured product that has not been cooked during preparation or stored in direct sunlight for long periods. Store all other meats in the refrigerator. If the sausage is semi-dry cured, wrap it in layers of paper towel to absorb moisture as it continues to dry. Store dry-cured sausages and meats in relative humidity below 70% and below 60°F. (16°C.) for best results.

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
Last edited by Chuckwagon on Wed Aug 29, 2012 05:32, edited 2 times in total.
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Sun Aug 26, 2012 11:00

Self Check Up :cool:
Quiz #1 - Selecting Meat For Sausage

1. T F Fat makes sausage tender and juicy; without it, meat will taste dry. Therefore, you should always choose the leanest cuts for sausage.
2. T F Wild game always provides the highest percentages of fat compared to beef or pork.
3. T F Pork fat has the best flavor and sausage made from game meats should contain 25 to 30 percent pork fat. Not enough fat makes sausage dry and hard to bite.
4. T F Boston butt is pork shoulder and it received its name from 18th Century sailors who packed pork shoulder in wooden casks known as "butts`. Boston butt has an ideal fat-to-lean meat ratio for sausage making. (Hmmm... do you think the folks in Boston know their shoulders from their butts!)
5. T F Younger animals always contain less fat.
6. T F Meat is roughly half water.
7. T F Eating pork fat is much healthier than eating butter when considering cholesterol.
8. T F Mutton can be used in sausage although it has poor water-holding properties and has a distinctive flavor not appreciated by many. For this reason it should be limited to around 15% in any recipe.
9. T F Soy protein concentrate is added to boost nutritional value and bind comminuted sausage meat.
10. T F Emulsified sausages, such as high quality, finely-comminuted frankfurters, usually contain more beef (40-60%) due to its excellent water-holding capacities. Cheap commercial hot dogs with less beef, often include phosphates to bind water.
11. T F Meat color is related to an animal`s activity and muscles that are exercised frequently need more oxygen. Myoglobin is a protein responsible for oxygen transport. Thus, the more myoglobin, the darker the meat.
12. T F Chicken is the most popular meat consumed worldwide. Its fat is neutral in flavor and suited for making chicken sausages although it presents some problems - it is soft and melts at such low temperatures that it is hard to work with.
13. T F The farther the fat is from the center of an animal, the softer it is.
14. T F Soft fat such as bacon fat is preferred for making fermented spreadable sausages such as mettwurst or teewurst.
15. T F In the temperature range of about 40° to 80° C. (104° to 176 F.), fat cells start to break down rapidly. For this reason, sausages should not be smoked or cooked at higher temperatures. In the smokehouse, if the fat has even slightly melted, the sausage`s
texture will be crumbly and dry.
16. T F The first rule of sausage making is, "If it can`t be cured, don`t smoke it".

Answers:
1F, 2F, 3T, 4T, 5T, 6T, 7T, 8T, 9T, 10T, 11T, 12T, 13T, 14T, 15T, 16T,

________________________________________________________________________________

Quiz #2 - Curing Meat

1. T F The word "curing" means preserving meat by drying it.
2. T F Erythorbates and ascorbates preserve meat.
3. T F Meat cured using salt only, will have a dark color.
4. T F Factors that influence meat curing include the size and temperature of the meat, as well as its moisture and fat content
although the pH level does not affect the curing time.
5. T F The amount of nitrate and reducing bacteria present in meat affect the curing quality as well as the speed.
6. T F The ideal temperature for curing meat is room-temperature or about 72°F.
7. T F If the curing temperature falls below 36°F., it may slow the curing process.
8. T F Meat freezes at 28°F.
9. T F The temperature of 50° F (10° C) is the point that separates two forces: below that temperature we keep bacteria in check,
above 50° F (10° C) bacteria start spoiling the meat.
10. T F Higher than normal temperatures speed up the curing process and decrease the possibility of spoilage.
11. T F Nitrate is reduced to nitrite and nitrite is reduced to nitric oxide - accomplished by bacteria - therefore putting Nitrate into a refrigerated solution (below 40° F) will inhibit the development of bacteria and they may not be able to react with Nitrate.
12. T F Sodium nitrite works well at refrigerator temperatures.
13. T F There has not been even one documented incident of food poisoning of a meat cured with salt and Nitrates.
14. T F A combination of salt and nitrite is incredibly effective and will stop Clostridium Botulinum spores from developing into toxins.
15. T F If bacteria has developed spores, even cooking may not be able to destroy them.
16. T F The discovery of sodium nitrite as a meat curing agent was known long ago, but it was isolated only during the past century.
17. T F For any meaningful curing to occur, a minimum of 40-50 parts per million of nitrate is necessary.
18. T F Too much cure added to meat will be dissipated and poses no threat to the consumer.
19. T F If we stay within Food and Drug Administration guidelines (1 oz. Cure #1 per 25 lbs of meat - about 1 level teaspoon of Cure #1
for 5 lbs of meat) we are applying 156 ppm of nitrite which is enough and safe at the same time.
20. T F Sodium Nitrate (NaNO3) does not cure meat directly and initially not much happens when it is added to meat.
21. T F Adding nitrites to meat will prevent food poisoning, tenderize the meat, and develop the pink color widely known and associated with smoked meats, although it will not improve flavor.
22. T F Cured meat will develop its true cured color only after submitted to cooking.
23. T F Cure #1 is a mixture of 1 oz of sodium nitrite (6.25%) to 1 lb of salt. It must be used to cure all meats that will require smoking at
low temperatures.
24. T F Cure #1 is never used to cure meats for fresh sausages.
25. T F Cure #2 is for use in products that do not require cooking, smoking or refrigeration. It is mainly used for dry-cured products that will be air cured for a long time like country ham, salami, pepperoni, and other dry sausages.
26. T F Sodium Nitrate reacts with micrococci naturally present in meat to start the curing process. If the bacteria are not present in sufficient numbers, the curing process may be inhibited.
27. T F Cure #2 is a mixture of 1 oz of sodium nitrite (6.25%) along with 0.64 oz of sodium Nitrate (4%) to 1 lb of salt. It can be compared to the time-releasing capsules used for treating colds.

Answers:
1F, 2F, 3T, 4F, 5T, 6F, 7T, 8T, 9T, 10F, 11T, 12T, 13T, 14T, 15T, 16T, 17T, 18F, 19T, 20T, 21F, 22T, 23T, 24F, 25T, 26T, 27T,
NorthFork
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by NorthFork » Sun Aug 26, 2012 12:35

Chuckwagon,
another great instructional writeup. The "Self Checkup" really helps drive in the information.

I'm ready to go Monday if everyone else is, although I will probably grind and stuff Tuesday AM, I'm normally on my feet by 0300 and mornings are my favorite time of day to get things done.
Jarhead
User
User

Post by Jarhead » Sun Aug 26, 2012 13:13

CW, great read. Thanks.
I'm ready for the most part, except the F-LC and T-SPX. That should be in this week.
Got a case of butts due in Monday afternoon. I know, I don't need that many for the class, but I've got some last minute orders to catch up on. 2 of them are destined for Pulled Pork, 2 for boudin and 2 for the class. I'll have 2 to 4 extra for a guy that wants 20+# of my Maple sausage.
It's gonna be a busy week, but I'll keep up.
"Gunny"
FEC-100, 22" & 18" WSM, MB Gasser, UDS, A-Maze-N Tube Smoker
Dave Zac
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Dave Zac » Sun Aug 26, 2012 13:34

I'm ready with supplies too. Gonna be away visiting grand baby next week though. For me its got to be a weekend endeavor. I will try to catch up once you begin I guess.
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Sun Aug 26, 2012 14:25

If hurricane Issac behaves Nancy and I are going sailing this week but I will play catch-up when we get back.
Ross- tightwad home cook
grasshopper
Passionate
Passionate

Post by grasshopper » Sun Aug 26, 2012 16:27

Hey Chuckwagon! You surly put a lot into this project and I thank you. I copied and pasted and printed all your information. It is a book in itself. Haven't got Stan's book yet. Should come Monday. Finishing up a 16 cavity mold to make cow ear tags, due Friday. Then ready to go. Relying on Quarry Stone Meats in Sandstone Minnesota, to get my supplies. Just 30 miles north of here. Hope I am not behind.
jbk101
Passionate
Passionate

Post by jbk101 » Sun Aug 26, 2012 23:30

Hello all,
Just checking in and had a couple of questions. First of all I'm trying to keep up on all the reading :shock: I was able to pick up some of the needed spice supplies the other day from Penzeys Spices (I could of spent days in that store not to mention hundreds of dollars with the variety that they carry) which leads me to my first question.

The spice list mentions Ancho Chili Peppers (6) Are the peppers going to be ground or chopped? I was able to purchase ground Ancho Chili Peppers. So out of convince I got it that way, is that going to work or do I need to get the actual peppers?

The next question(s) are casing related. I have 20 mm sheep casing that I purchased previously , Will this work for all intensive purposes for the Breakfast sausage portion of project B or do I need to order the 22-26mm casing size?

19mm Collagen casing - as I was researching this online I noticed that they come in either a clear smoked or smoked mahogany colored - which on is the preferred for the Kabanosy? also is there an un-smoked version of the Collagen casing available (since we will be smoking it)?

The 76mm Mahogany colored casing - are these a synthetic casing? And what kind of shelf life do the have?

I was also able to pick up a nice Boneless Pork Shoulder at Costco for $1.79 a pound (17 lbs total) I also am hoping to have a Vertical stuffer before I start this project (need to work a couple more Soccer games to pay for it though :wink:)

Thanks in advance,
John
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Mon Aug 27, 2012 00:10

JBK101 find my thread about homemade paprika. There is detail there about grinding peppers. Ancho/mulatto peppers are just the dried versions of pablano peppers. http://wedlinydomowe.pl/en/viewtopic.php?p=11598#11598
Ross- tightwad home cook
Dudley

Post by Dudley » Mon Aug 27, 2012 02:54

chuckwagon this some of the best explaning I have ever come across. It answers the hows and whys of sausage making. Thank you.
All supplies are in and ready to go. one question though.
Looking at a nice piece of pork butt how do I know the percentage of fat ?
life is short so ride fast
el Ducko
Veteran
Veteran

Post by el Ducko » Mon Aug 27, 2012 03:03

jbk101 wrote:The spice list mentions Ancho Chili Peppers (6) Are the peppers going to be ground or chopped? I was able to purchase ground Ancho Chili Peppers. So out of convince I got it that way, is that going to work or do I need to get the actual peppers?
In my recipe, ground anchos will work just fine. I usually buy mine in the Hispanic section of my local grocery store, dried. ...much cheaper than Penzey's, but then, Penzey's sells consistent top quality spices, whereas the stuff in the grocery stores can vary somewhat from packager to packager. (...part of the fun?)

I cut out the stems, remove the seeds, tear the flesh of the chiles into small pieces, and grind 'em in a coffee (now spice) grinder to a powder. The anchos furnish the color, plus a nice flavor. Some people prefer to toast the chiles before doing all this. Try it and see how you like the flavor. Grinding disperses the chile particles better. ...hope you enjoy the recipe. :mrgreen:
Experience - the ability to instantly recognize a mistake when you make it again.
el Ducko
Veteran
Veteran

Post by el Ducko » Mon Aug 27, 2012 03:10

Dudley wrote:...one question though.
Looking at a nice piece of pork butt how do I know the percentage of fat ?
Just for fun, when cutting up the pork prior to grinding, try separating out the fat from the meat and weighing each. The pork butts I've done that way seem to come in about 20% fat, 80% meat.

...varies, of course. I find that if I buy a boneless pork butt, they've trimmed off a fair amount of fat and I have to add more trimmings to get back up to the 20% level, or to take it higher if desired. :mrgreen:
Experience - the ability to instantly recognize a mistake when you make it again.
Gulyás
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Gulyás » Mon Aug 27, 2012 05:06

Chuckwagon wrote:Gulyas, those are the most beautiful peppers I`ve ever seen. And your "campfire" is incredible. I love your hothouse too.

Thank You Chuckwagon.
Failure to prepare is preparing to fail.