Beginner Needs Advice

pignout
Beginner
Beginner

Post by pignout » Wed Jan 30, 2013 02:54

Hello all, I need some help before I drive myself to drinkn (which in my case maybe a good thing). My background for the most part comes from BBQ'n and smoking fish, but am ready to try this sausage and curing thing. I need to buy everything but dont know what to buy? a am looking at the Lem # 32 with the lem mixer. Then you look a little further down the line and you see a grinder about the same (at least the HP ) and its 600.00 more. Same with everything else. I just want to get the biggest bang for the buck and not be sorry I bought the wrong one the first time I use it. Well thats enough, Time for a drink. Thanz all
aleezy

Post by aleezy » Mon Apr 08, 2013 10:24

Nice surprise about this shorter form. Can you tell us what it is you are talking/writing about?
Has any info. about this shorter form been posted before (and i just missed it)?
Big Guy
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Big Guy » Mon Apr 08, 2013 12:44

Welcome to the party. you can gadget your self to death with equipment. But you will need the basics, which I consider to be a decent grinder the lem 32 fits the bill nicely, the mixer is a good thing but you could get by with out one, a must have is a stuffer possibly 2 . Al arge capacity 20-30lbs. for big batches of hog sized cases or larger and a 5 lb model if you intend on doing snack stix or small diameter cases.
enjoy.
Col. Big Guy
el Ducko
Veteran
Veteran

Post by el Ducko » Mon Apr 08, 2013 15:50

Not necessary to start with, but it sure is handy: a vacuum food sealer. I froze my sausages, meat, etc. in zip lock bags before, and they were good for a month or two. Now, my FoodSaver ($100 or so) keeps frozen things edible much better.

The result: a freezer that's even more full. (Maybe that's a downside, but...)
:mrgreen:
Experience - the ability to instantly recognize a mistake when you make it again.
grasshopper
Passionate
Passionate

Post by grasshopper » Mon Apr 08, 2013 20:48

On the stuffer you will need 3/8 ID or 1/2 OD stainless stuffing tube. Use on sheep casing and meat sticks. I don't think it comes that small of tube on the stuffer.
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Mon Apr 08, 2013 21:18

This is an occupation that can easily get out of hand. There is a limit to the amount of sausage that you can eat and give away.
Ross- tightwad home cook
el Ducko
Veteran
Veteran

Post by el Ducko » Mon Apr 08, 2013 22:03

...and a seemingly limitless number of ways to spend money on it.

...but, unlike alcohol and women, you probably can't hurt yourself quite as badly with homemade sausage. Watch those fingers, though, and guard against bacterial contamination, and... HEY! Maybe you CAN hurt yourself as badly with homemade sausage. Hmmm...

Maybe there's a balance among all three? Now, THAT's something worth studying. I think I'll apply for a gummint grant. After all, "inquiring minds want to know."
:mrgreen:
Experience - the ability to instantly recognize a mistake when you make it again.
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Mon Apr 08, 2013 22:45

Hey Ducky, I have spent most of my money on whiskey, women and boats. The rest of my money I wasted.
Ross- tightwad home cook
el Ducko
Veteran
Veteran

Post by el Ducko » Mon Apr 08, 2013 22:50

ssorllih wrote:Hey Ducky, I have spent most of my money on whiskey, women and boats. The rest of my money I wasted.
...on sausage making equipment? (grin) ...know what ya mean.
Cabonaia
Forum Enthusiast
Forum Enthusiast

Post by Cabonaia » Mon Apr 08, 2013 22:54

It depends....

How many pounds of meat are you planning to process at at a time?

What kind of sausage do you want to make?
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Wed Apr 10, 2013 11:16

Grasshopper wrote:
On the stuffer you will need 3/8 ID or 1/2 OD stainless stuffing tube. Use on sheep casing and meat sticks. I don't think it comes that small of tube on the stuffer.
Mike, you are absolutely correct. If you want to make kabanosy, you'll have to have one. I made my own by brazing half inch tubing (plumming store) onto a nozzle fitting. If I'm not mistaken, I believe F. Dick Co. makes a half-inch stuffing tube.

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D