Using my Chiilli mix to flavour sausages

markjass
Passionate
Passionate

Using my Chiilli mix to flavour sausages

Post by markjass » Tue Feb 19, 2013 02:48

I formulate my own sausage recipes. These are based on existing recipes or suggested g per kg from 'the book'. A year or so ago I took a sausage mix that I used and used it in stew it tasted horrible with a capital H. I now want to reverse this methodology.

I make my own chilli powder mix I use one tablespoon per kg of meat when I use my slow cooker to make chilli. My mixture does not contain any salt so I will use about 16 g of salt per kg of pork (I know that is less salt than people use). I want adout the same heat in my sausages that I have in my chilli. Should I use the same amount of powder the sausages that I use when making chilli.

My Chilli Mix

2 Habanero, 2 Chipotle, 2 Ancho, 2 Pasilla (all dried. Remove the seeds and pith if I want a mild version)
1 tablespoon cumin seed
1 tablespoon coriander seed
1 tablespoon ground paprika
2 teaspoons whole cloves or allspice
1 teaspoon oregano (1/2 the amount if using mexican)
1 teaspoon ground red cayenne pepper

Ps. I have left my glasses at work and cannot easily read what I have typed!
Oh the joys of life
sawhorseray
Veteran
Veteran

Post by sawhorseray » Tue Feb 19, 2013 06:08

I've never made chili before, not a big favorite in my house, but I think meat, beans, and onions are a big part of it if I'm not mistaken. Typing looks great. RAY
“Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment.”
markjass
Passionate
Passionate

Post by markjass » Tue Feb 19, 2013 08:35

I am very hesitant to talk chilli on a forum that has a number of North American foodies on. There are as many recipes for chilli as there are people who make it. I do not claim that my recipe is authentic or traditional (the only tradition with it is that I traditionally use similar ingredients give or take!).

I use cubed meat rather than minced meat. I also use a mixture of pork and beef, tinned tomatoes (or fresh depending on the time of year) throw in powered Ginger, Turmeric (yup I love curries after all I am English), Oregano, thyme, cayenne pepper, smoked paprika (the best Spanish that I can get my hands on) and ground black pepper, onions and garlic. I also add beans (whatever is in my cupboard, pinto, kidney, black etc). What I am after is a rich, thick, deep rumbling smokey sauce that has a depth of flavour. My mates class my sauce as medium. either add more or less cayenne depending on how hot or mild you want it.

We are not on chilli or cooking forum. Anyway this whole idea came from a combination of of two of my main gluttony lusts, chilli/curry and sausages. I can see how I can work out how to combine my lust for chocolate in sausages; after all the Mexicans use it in savoury sauces. However, I am not sure how I would combine my love of ice cream in sausages! In my first few years of leaving home I did make battered deep fried Mars bars, Camembert cheese and ice cream!

Mark

ps. my glasses have been dropped off by a collegue
Dave Zac
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Dave Zac » Tue Feb 19, 2013 18:08

I'm curious to watch how this one turns out. As Ray indicates, a lot of the flavor in a Chili comes from onions, green peppers, tomato, etc. Without these ingredients will you achieve a sausage that tastes like chili?

Best way I think is to stuff a casing with chili :grin:

http://wedlinydomowe.pl/en/viewtopic.ph ... ight=chili
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Tue Feb 19, 2013 18:40

I have made many variations of chili and my conclusion is that it started out as bean soup flavored with many varieties of peppers/chilis, onions, tomatoes and a few herbs. When meat was available it became chili con carn. my experience has been that lots of different chilis improves the flavor and it is tempered with the sweetness of the onions and the acid of the tomatoes. If it is bland it can be pretty awful.
Ross- tightwad home cook
sawhorseray
Veteran
Veteran

Post by sawhorseray » Tue Feb 19, 2013 19:31

The Spanish translation of "con carne" to English would be "with meat". I know there are big chili cooking competitions every year in Reno, just like the BBQ competitions I've seen on TV. Attended the BBQ tour stop in Reno a few years back, quite a show with some great ribs and brisket to be had. RAY
“Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment.”
NorCal Kid
Passionate
Passionate

Post by NorCal Kid » Tue Feb 19, 2013 19:55

Add a touch of vinegar to your recipe, & you've got yourself a nice chorizo. :wink:

Kevin
Jesus Christ is the same yesterday, today, and forever. — Hebrews 13:8
el Ducko
Veteran
Veteran

Post by el Ducko » Tue Feb 19, 2013 20:42

"Vegetarian" Chili (made from animals which are vegetarian)
●2# lean beef, coarse ground.
●1 onion, finely chopped ●3 large garlic cloves, finely chopped ●8 oz. can tomato sauce ●16 oz. can tomatoes
●2 tsp salt ●2 tsp paprika ●1-1/2 tsp ground comino (cumin) ●1-1/2 tsp oregano ●8 Tbsp ancho chile molido (dried ground New Mexico chiles) ●0 or 3/4 or 1-1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
●up to 2 cups water (add 1, then as needed)

Heat a large cast iron pot. Wipe with a little vegetable oil. When almost smoking, sear the meat, a bit at a time. If at any time the juices start to accumulate, pull out the meat and put in a little grease and heat until the water is driven off and the oil is beginning to smoke again.
When all meat is seared and removed, heat up the pot again, grease again, and add the onions and garlic. Sauté until browned. Add the liquids. Stir in the solids. Simmer for 2 hours.

Notes:
● A 3 ounce package of ancho chiles yields about 6 tablespoons of ground powder, seeds/stems removed.
● Optional: stir in up to 2 Tbsp masa harina (cornmeal) in water and stir/simmer 1/2 hour, until thick.
● Optional: add 16 oz (two cups) cooked beans (pinto or black) and simmer 1/2 hour.
● Optional: substitute some pork for beef- - up to half-and-half. (Colorado versions are all-pork, less chile.)
● Optionally substitute other types of dried chiles for the ancho chiles. Beware the Scoville scale!
● Optionally add 3 or 4 chipotle peppers (smoked jalapeños).
● This recipe originally was reverse engineered from "Wick Fowler`s Two Alarm Chili," then modified.
:mrgreen:
Experience - the ability to instantly recognize a mistake when you make it again.