Doug
User
User

Braunschweiger success!

Post by Doug » Fri Feb 22, 2013 17:44

Greetings all.

Just felt like bragging - finally a success at making something after 6-7
attempts at sausage, bacon headcheese.
I made Butterbeans Recipe and tested it with Carbonaia. He says the; texture and taste
was perfect to his taste. (might have been a little saltier though.) Carbonsia was my only
guinea pig as no one I mean no one in my family likes liver. Now I've got 2 8 - 10 inch
chubs I need to find a home for. I take that back, I gave some to the Executive chef of
Alexanders Steakhouse in Cupertino. He also is a fellow Charcuterist and he wants to make
a trade - He made Trotters Terrine and will trade some with me. Looking forward to try it
with Carbonaia this Saturday/Sunday Carbonaia is having a sausage-making gathering this
Sunday. Which means more guinea pigs to test my Braunschweiger and Trotters Terrine.

I followed the Braunschweiger recipe almost to the letter. The next time I make this I would do the
following differently. Butterbean put the meat through the grinder twice. In the future I will
use a blender after the second grind as I personally like the finished product creamier. Also
I would add more salt and black pepper. I diced up some Jalapeno and Serrano peppers and mixed it in for a little heat - it was just enough to give a hint of heat. The only other tihing I did was- sliced up the kidneys and soaked it in buttermilk overnight. I mixed in the hand diced kidneys after the second grind to give the
Braunschweiger some crunchy texture which worked just perfect.

Thank you all for the support on my project! I am presently on a HIGH!

Doug
Butterbean

Post by Butterbean » Fri Feb 22, 2013 17:50

Fantastic. I like the idea of bartering meats and things among friends. I do a lot of this and get some pretty good stuff in trade. As I'm sure you are aware, eating that many chubs of sausage is impossible - no matter how good it is.

I agree with you on the additiions. I like things a little spicier but I think the base flavor of this recipe will appeal to most people's tastes. Its sortof middle of the road I think.
Cabonaia
Forum Enthusiast
Forum Enthusiast

Post by Cabonaia » Fri Feb 22, 2013 18:51

Ooooh yeah Doug's smoked braunschweiger is fantastic. It doesn't hurt that he is using mangalitza. The fat from this breed is 10 steps up from the backfat I buy.

No one in my family, either, will eat anything to do with pork liver. Which probably puts them in the 99% majority in this state. Which explains why pork liver is less than $2 lb around here, so I can't complain.
crustyo44
Veteran
Veteran

Post by crustyo44 » Fri Feb 22, 2013 19:06

Doug,
Great to hear that you have succeeded. If possible, would your Chef friend part with his recipe for the pork trotter terrine he makes. I am interested!!!!!!!!!!! to make it.
I can buy pork trotters here for 50 cents each. Pork liver is a different story. Plenty of sheep/lamb liver for sale though.
Try to convince your Chef friend to join the forum, we need him or at least I do.
Good Luck Mate,
Jan.
Doug
User
User

Braunschweiger/ Trotter Terrine

Post by Doug » Fri Feb 22, 2013 22:12

Crustyo44, I'll see the chef Saturday and I will ask him for the recipe. I think Pro-Chefs
wing-it when they make Charcuterie since they know so much already but I will ask. Also
if he would like to join our fraternity. Thank you

Butterbean, Your recipe is just PERFECT. I just did some things to suit my personal taste.
Everyone who tried it loves it. I am anxiously awaiting to get my taste buds on the Trotters Terrine tomorrow - made by a Pro-Chef!. Thanks a load for your posting on your recipe !!!

I am not sure what will be my next project. I was going to make a Mangalitza ham while
Carbonaia is making his for a taste comparison but my daughter wanted to slow roast it.
I only had 1/4 (hind quarter) of a Mangalitza this go around so- only 1 ham. I'm thinking
of going back to my first 2 failures and trying again (Len Polli recipe for Lop Cheung). I
can't handle walking away from a failure. (problems with cohesion).

Wish me success!

Doug
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Sun Feb 24, 2013 00:51

Hey, hey Doug! Congrats sir! That's exciting. Thanks for sharing your success. That ol' salty dog Butterbean has been around the block a few times eh? He's the "strong-silent type" who won't pat himself on the back, but would give you the shirt right off it. Glad things worked out so well Doug. Keep up the good work. How about a photo or two?

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
Doug
User
User

Post by Doug » Fri Mar 01, 2013 02:21

Thank you CW.
I will get help to post photos.
I am computer illiterate.

Doug
Bubba
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Bubba » Fri Mar 01, 2013 02:31

Hi Doug,

I sent you a PM with my e-mail address, if you need help posting the photos just send them and I will post.

I also help Jan (Crustyo44) also known as the Clogwog :) to post photos. For some reason when they post in Australia we can't see them.

Regards

Ron
Ron