big smoke day tomorrow

markjass
Passionate
Passionate

big smoke day tomorrow

Post by markjass » Tue Feb 26, 2013 05:45

I have a big weekend for food coming up. Fortunately I am not working tomorrow. Tomorrow I have a 1.5kg boneless ham to smoke and then poach, a Kg of chorizo to smoke and bake, 1.7 kg of beef pastrami to smoke and bake and 3kg of loin bacon to smoke and bake. There has not been much room in the fridge for much else. Thank goodness for the fresh salad, carrots etc growing in the garden. I will also make a couple of loafs of bread.

After my success with the lamb pastrami I decide to make some beef pastrami. Because of the availability of beef I ended up getting a bolar roast (top side roast). The beef does not have a big cap of fat on it. Is there a risk that it will get dry when I smoke and bake it? if so any suggestions how to avoid that?

I have heard of people steaming pastrami. Am I right in assuming that this method is used to heat the pastrami rather than bake/cook it?
CrankyBuzzard
Passionate
Passionate

Post by CrankyBuzzard » Wed Feb 27, 2013 00:38

Wow, wish I were closer! Sounds like a good bunch of meats coming up!

To substitute for a fat cap, in the past I've laid a lot of bacon on top to try and assist, but it didn't work too well. If you can cut some small slices into the meat and then insert some fat that has seemed to help in the past. Can you pump it any?

You could also cold smoke the roast for a while and then roast it in foil. Once the roasting is complete, let it rest in the foil for at least one hour and then process.

I've steamed pastrami and also baked, broiled, reboiled, and simmered... It's more about personal preference than style...

Charlie
Bubba
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Bubba » Wed Feb 27, 2013 02:33

It sounds like one awesome feast about to happen!

Take lots of photos!
Ron